Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

Downloading reels aka ripping the bounty ;-)

Guest firemind

(This thread was split off from replies to Logan's reel)

Old reel leecher's trick from uncle firemind:

Just open the html source, find the .mov location, find out the location of the HTML file, merge the two to get the real location of the mov, paste the path into a download app like getright, download it locally and watch it as many times as you like.

Guest vinteg

hey firemind, that seems too complicated. About 95% of these quicktime movies can be downloaded with quicktime pro. You can buy the serial number for $30 or get it free with Final Cut Pro. It unlocks all these hidden features in Quicktime.

Either way, wait til the download is done, right click on the image and select "Save Quicktime Movie." Pick a spot on your computer and click save. You can play it locally on your computer and it's as easy as right clicking on an image off the web and select "Save Picture As"

visit http://www.apple.com/quicktime/ for more info.

Guest firemind

Ahyes, but see, not all movies play progressively (thus no way to see how long the download will take) and some movies are even protected from the rightclick method.

Sure, rightclicking and saving should be your second option (after establishing the dir with the movies isn't an open dir, which makes downloading even faster), but when all else fails, my method will still get you that .mov.

Next lesson: how to rip movies linked inside flash files ;-)

Guest vinteg

Totally agree with you. When all else fail, I think your method is the best. However, for the majority of these quicktime movies, this is a quick and easier way to do it. I'm just too lazy to search in the source, but if I ultimately want it, I'll do it your method.

All of the quicktime movies on designinmotion is similar. They're not progressive, but if you wait for 5 minutes, they eventually finish downloading and you can right-click and save. However, like you said, not all of them work this way.

Guest govinda

Lesson after that needs to be: how to rip 'em on a Mac. BNS is the worst offender--since the site redesign, it's no longer a simple download for reel moochers.

This is way basic vs. what you're explaining, but isn't it true that on a Windows system, all movies played in IE get stored in the Temporary Internet Files directory anyway, including movies that're embedded in flash popups? It's easy to dig them out of there. But I've been using a family member's WinME box for this--not sure if it's the case with all versions.

-govinda

Guest bennett

Hey firemind and fellow reel addicts,

To rip movies linked inside Flash movies:

The Safari browser in OS X has an 'Activity' window. It lists every file that gets loaded by the browser. All you have to do is double-click the name of the SWF file in the list, it opens in a new browser window, and then you can save it as yet another victim of your insatiable thirst for demo reel nirvana. Govinda, you can you use the same method to hunt for MOVs at BNS. For those unfornate souls without OS X: Sorry. You're SOL.

Maybe I could zip the SWFs from different studios (such as http://trollback.com ) and offer them to be consumed by the mograph masses?

BTW, this board is exactly what I've been looking for. Hopefully, I'll have some pieces ready to be mercilessly torn to shreds in the WIP section soon.

Total Number of TLAs Used: 6 (including TLA itself)

Oh, HelloLogan rocks the hizzouse!

-- Bennett

Guest firemind

My method is a bit more complex. Dive into the HTML source, copy URL of swf, download swf through download app (getright, gozilla whatever), open it in a flash decompiler. Find the piece of actionscript linking to the mov, feed the URL to a download app and voi la.

This is the simplest case. In the case of something like Team Heavy I had to sort through a bunch of swfs (one loaded into the next) xml files and interpreting actionscript since all the path names are generated inside a function.

I finally found the movie dir, turned out to be an open dir so it was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Stupid me forgot to save the path tho.

*kicks himself*

Guest govinda

bennett--Your tip is nectar from the gods themselves. It works like a charm--better than a charm, because charms on my dashboard never kept other cars from hitting me 14 times over the years.

-govinda

Guest igorschmigor

downloading reels from html files is reel easy with netscape 7. Press ctrl+i to get an informaton-window and there will be one rider with all embedded grafik and movie files listed. Select the quicktime file and press the "save as"-button.

Guest bennett

Govinda, charms I can do it's motion graphics that's the sticking point. Although dashboards and automobile accidents are a bit out of my league. 14 times? Maybe public transportation would be better for you. :wink:

Igor, do you know if Netscape 7 behaves this way for OS X too? Is it that the information window isn't constantly updated so files that weren't downloaded initially aren't listed?

Guest igorschmigor

I have no idea about os x. I use windows. But I believe that all files are listed that are mentioned in the source code, wether they have been downloaded or not. Quicktime-movie-windows sometimes seem to block the ctrl-i shortcut after a while, so i press the keys as soon as the window pops up. You have to wait for the movie to fully download before you can specify a destination for the file to be saved to.

Btw. i used the word rider, i think the correct translation would have been "tab".

Guest igorschmigor

Some quicktimes get loaded by preloader-quicktimes which makes it very hard to find out the URL of the quicktime that you want to download. If you use atguard (free firewall) then you can check the event log > web history tab. It will show all url's including the url of the quicktime that was loaded by the preloader (also good for swf and whatever).

Guest mr.Squiggle

For movies embeded in flash files I use offline explorer, a website downloader which is usually (but not always) pretty good at following links in flash files.

Quicktime reference preloaders can be opened in a text editor to find the real movie file. Apple.com trailers can usually be found by adding a m , eg kill_bill-vol_1-tlr_480.mov leads to kill_bill-vol_1-tlr_m480.mov in the same directory.

Guest igorschmigor

i once tried opening a preloader quicktime with a text editor but it was all cryptic, i couldn't find anything that looked like the name of the file to be loaded. :(

Guest mr.Squiggle

There is sometimes both a placeholder jpeg .mov ~50k + a reference .mov ~3k, you have to grab the right one. But I dont see these being used much except on apple.com.

Guest boxctim

hey all,

I made a link ..er 'bookmarklet'.. to save files. Go here and drag the Media Linker link to your toolbar.

Saving media, quicktime or swf files:

1. As bennett says, open Safari activity window, double click the file in listing to open it in a new window.

2. Copy URL, click the Media Linker favourite, paste in the link and press ok.

3. New window opens with link which you can right click, "Save As".

I've tried this in Safari, IE and Navigator I think.. FireFox etc lets you save media out directly so it's superfluous for that, but is useful when using Safari, IE etc. Let me know if you have any fixes or problems.

tim

w. www.boxc.net/

Guest Barry Evans

word of warning: this sort of practice can become highly addictive. I've spent the last six months ripping reels with Igetter when I should have been working and now have 8 CDs full of little quicktimes that I will never find the time to watch properly.

Guest govinda

Let's go over Firefox. I've been using it for two weeks, and it's a dream.

In some cases it works like this:

Tools

>Page Info

>>Click on the 'Media' Tab.

There you have a choice of all media on the page. Choose the movie and 'Save As.'

But wait! Testing that at BNS, and it doesn't work.

Guest pixel_pimp

I wish* Quicktime had an interface like iPhoto. A library on the side that all my movies could be in. Easy to manage and burn them all to DVD for Archiving.

Guest superegophobia

just in case there are others like me who wanted to save unsavable QTs but were frustrated to see no .mov's show up in Safari's activity monitor in OS 10.4 and QT 7 anymore, found a solution:

1) select window with QT movie, View Source

2) search for ".mov" copy that url address

3) paste it into a new window or directly into the download manager.

For flash movies that do show up in Activity Monitor,

1) copy .swf address

2) paste it into download manager.

Hope that helps someone...

Guest nextexit
Let's go over Firefox. I've been using it for two weeks, and it's a dream.

In some cases it works like this:

Tools

>Page Info

>>Click on the 'Media' Tab.

There you have a choice of all media on the page. Choose the movie and 'Save As.'

But wait! Testing that at BNS, and it doesn't work.

6884[/snapback]

I usually do this if I cant 'right click save as':

For firefox just go to:

/Users/(your user name)/Library/Caches/Firefox/Profiles/(a crazy long file name)/Cache

You will then get a list of wack file names, click on either 'sort by size' or 'sort by date' then depending on which you selected you will either get the largest files at the top of your list (usually the quicktime or swf files) or the latest files downloaded (usually the quicktime or swf files if it's the last thing you did) add a '.mov' or a '.swf' to the end of the file name then double click and save in another location as self contained....as some of the files may retain the link to their site and wont play later.

Um yeah thats about it...sounds long winded but if you keep an alias to this folder on your desk top it's pretty painless.

Over and out

Guest igorschmigor

Here is a great site for downloading movies from google video, Youtube, iFilm and other sites.

http://keepvid.com/

just enter the url in the input field at the top of the page and click download. Voila! You get direct links to different video formats of that movie for download.

Guest da nny

bennett--Your tip is nectar from the gods themselves. It works like a charm--better than a charm, because charms on my dashboard never kept other cars from hitting me 14 times over the years.

-govinda

Yap. Really cool. For me when it comes to movs i basically use opera and IE.All u hav to do is wait for the mov to load up fully.Then once u jus about to start playing it, copy it from the temp folder in ur local drive where its cached to watever other location u wish, and u hav urself a copy.

Been trying to find out where flash movies are cached but with no success.

Thanks Bennett.Will be trying out ur tip real soon