Sign in to follow this  
Guest DRC

After Effects flicker problem

Guest DRC

I'm currently working on an After Effects project (NTSC, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps), which includes 3d layers, and a camera pan from right to left. When I render out a movie, the image flickers quite a bit during the pan. I think this might be a screen redraw problem as it's not visible when you step through the animation frame by frame, but my question is how do I correct this? I've seen plenty of motion graphics created in AF with lots of camera pans, zooms and what have you, with no flicker at all. Am I missing something in the render settings, or is it something else? Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

Edited by DRC

Guest SermonOfMockery

are you rendering it uncompressed? if so, your machine probably can't keep up w/ rendering it in realtime...

Guest Sao_Bento
I'm currently working on an After Effects project (NTSC, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps), which includes 3d layers, and a camera pan from right to left. When I render out a movie, the image flickers quite a bit during the pan. I think this might be a screen redraw problem as it's not visible when you step through the animation frame by frame, but my question is how do I correct this? I've seen plenty of motion graohics created in AF with lots of camera pans, zooms and what have you, with no flicker at all. Am I missing something in the render settings, or is it something else? Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

32670[/snapback]

Are you seeing the flickering on an NTSC monitor, or just on your computer monitor? If it's just the computer monitor, it could just be that the movement is conflicting with the redraw rate of your monitor. Try dropping it in a comp and time remapping it to a slightly different speed and see if it still happens.

Guest SteveCo

I had this same problem today. I'm pretty sure it's a screen redraw thing. It happened when panning across solid shapes.

Guest tim.bowman

Make sure you're rendering fields. Looks like you're working in DV, so use lower first.

Guest Deepsky

I've had this problem years ago. I remember I solved the problem interpreting the footage to lower field first or deinterlacing the source footage or applying a verical blur.

You can deinterlace the footage using Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro or an AE plugin like Magic Bullet.

You could also try a 1 pixel vertical blur.

The flickering did carry over into my renders and was seen on the Avid. Not sure if this will be your case as well.

Guest DRC

Thanks for all the replies, but I think I've finally solved it for now. It seems to have been a bunch of stupid little things that only showed up in the final render. First off, I made the mistake of having my working comp set at 720 x 480 and changing the pixle size for my footage from square to D1 to compensate. When rendered out, it created the flickering effect on my pans. To fix it, I simply did what I should have done in the first place, and set my working comp to 720 x 540 and left my footage as square pixels. I then put the final comp in a new compisition and rendered it out as 720 x 480. The result was no flicker.