Sign in to follow this  
Guest JR

:30 PSA w/all new client revision :)

Guest JR

Producer dumped this in my lap, he wanted particle Illusion FIreworks--thought that was the most gay thing ever ! Most of my day was spend cutting/painting bkg. Had no control over fonts. This is what i can up with.. does it work or not ?

and there's a slight z-space issue with bkg

Thanks

JR

http://home.indy.rr.com/hive/FireworksPSA.mov

Edited by JR

Guest Beaver

Last screen could come up a little earlier - it might not time correctly with the VO but at least you'd be able to read them all...

Guest Beaver

VO could stand to be a little hotter too. It sounds like it was recorded on a dynamic mic :(

Guest JR

Audio came from internet jocks, so can't change that. I knew it, there's just to much shit to read in that short amount of time....tried telling thiem that :(

thanks for checking it out !!

JR

Guest JR

thanks everyone for watching....but the client thought it sucked ass and they hated everything about it. They wanted explosions and particle illusion fireworks. To high concept for market 25---hehehe

JR

Guest paccollective

thats too bad. i thought it was a nice PSA. clean & simple. you handled all of their text requirements well.

Guest djkorova

Indy is market 25? Thats bad since its the 12th largest city.

Oh and little kids need fireworks. I played with fireworks and i turned out fine, a few scars, but just fine...

Edited by djkorova

Guest BKM
Indy is market 25? Thats bad since its the 12th largest city.

However, it is the largest american city that isn't next to a navagatable body of water. :P

BKM

Guest scottgfx

Ahh, Indy. My hometown!

What if you mixed on second line ("more than...") after you reveal the first ("Over 360")

Yeah, too much type. Perhaps you can cut down the type to the basics. We already know the PSA is about fireworks. The type could simply say "More than 8000 Injuries each year" "Over 360 in Indiana last year")

Otherwise, it looks good for what it is. It appears to be a sales department creation, no?

Audio came from internet jocks, so can't change that.  I knew it, there's just to much shit to read in that short amount of time....tried telling thiem that :(

thanks for checking it out !!

JR

33608[/snapback]

Guest scottgfx
thanks everyone for watching....but the client thought it sucked ass and they hated everything about it.  They wanted explosions and particle illusion fireworks.  To high concept for market 25---hehehe

JR

33726[/snapback]

Tell them you need a Video Toaster to do the level of work they require.

Guest JR
Tell them you need a Video Toaster to do the level of work they require.

33875[/snapback]

Now that's funny !!!!!!!!

Actually I thought about going across the hall and using the Ole' Grass Valley 2200, Krystal, Infinit and Lightworks. Tomorrow I'll post the revised spot....what can i say, just a typical day in local tv ;)

JR

Guest JR

I know we're all sick of this spot, but here is the Revised spot. Like I said the Client hated my 30. I know it's not perfect but best i could do in a day. Here is what the Client wanted and thought was the best thing since sliced bread. Try not to piss yourself. So for anyone who thinks they have it bad here you go......!!!!

http://home.indy.rr.com/hive/FireworksPSA.mov - Old, my version

http://home.indy.rr.com/hive/FireworksPSAClient.mov - Client Version

Enjoy

Last time I bug anyone with this...just couldn't resist

JR

Guest djkorova

JR... you're treatment... MUCH better. I didn't really like the font in either, but how in the hell could your client like the latest one more than the first one??? Market 25 doesn't know what good design is...

Guest JR

It was either that or they were going to make me drink the Kool-Aid ! But seriously, I hate to beat a dead horse here but, from the beginning they had zero input/ideas of what they wanted and left me with nothing. So that is what i came up with. After seeing it, they suddenly thought, "Hmmm, well that's gay and not what we had in mind.... how about some really cheesy fireworks with fonts over it."

I'm not saying my original concept was great design, but damn...that second one is wicked bad tv.

Thanks for watching and that is my pick/entry for zacid's contest btw

JR

Edited by JR

Guest SermonOfMockery

wow that is fucking gay, i'm sorry dude. indianapolis is one of the worst cities ever.

also, i'm sure kids will be just as happy with "glow in the dark noisemakers" as fireworks... yeah.

Guest clintvideo

I'm in market 148. The clients are remarkably forgiving. The ads are almost all done by TV stations (usually for free or near-free, in order to secure the airtime buy). We can do fun work, but typically with little time or budget.

Cf

Guest JR
I'm in market 148.  The clients are remarkably forgiving.  The ads are almost all done by TV stations (usually for free or near-free, in order to secure the airtime buy).  We can do fun work, but typically with little time or budget.

Cf

34077[/snapback]

that's how it goes here as well. Usually we can do some fun stuff because we don't have to worry about budgets, etc. I like our station cause i get to do such a wide variety of work, pay isn't bad, they keep us happy generally with gear and most of the time i get to be a real control whore.......but sometimes a real "gem" like this comes along. What can i say, i've been doing this for quite a while now. I'm in a real stable comfort zone and it's hard to get motivated to move yet again.

JR

oh and it doens't matter what midwest city ---they're all the same, countertops, tanning beds, 100's of car to choose from, doors and windows. If all i did was local commercials and didn't get to do fun promotional spots and some mograph I woud have been a jumper a long time ago.

Edited by JR

Guest scottgfx
that's how it goes here as well.  Usually we can do some fun stuff because we don't have to worry about budgets, etc.

I'm in market 68 or 70 (I don't remember anymore as it keeps growing so fast.) and things are pretty much the same. We get to spend extra time sometimes on a special project. We also have 8 radio stations in the building and we do all of the creative for them.

I worked in Orlando and they had cheap car commercials like anywhere else. I think my favorite Indy spots are with the guy selling guns. "I don't want to make money, I just love to sell guns!"

Remember, in New York, they had "Crazy Eddys" and "Nobody beats the WIZ". Los Angeles had "Cal Worthington and His Dog Spot".

If it would make you feel any better, we just received a "Red White and Boom" spot. It was produced by a local company called "Video Transfer Station". It's the worst spot I have ever seen... ever. The "dub" came to us on a DVD-R.

Edited by scottgfx

Guest JR

I think my favorite Indy spots are with the guy selling guns. "I don't want to make money, I just love to sell guns!"

34123[/snapback]

hehe, here's the guy. Thought u might find this pic funny !!

Don%20Guns.jpg

"Lets see...let me check my list...oh I need a tech 9, 1 RPG, 3 uzi's, Mark-19, some eggs............and some milk. Ah shit and my wife's midol." -- Indiana shopping.

JR

Guest SermonOfMockery

we had cal worthington in seattle too when i was a kid in the early 80s. the big joke was, his theme song went "go see cal, go see cal, go see cal!" but it sounded a LOT like "pussy cow, pussy cow, pussy cow!" which of course was hilarious to a 7 year old that barely knew what it meant (i just knew you weren't supposed to say "pussy").

edit: apparently i'm not the only one who heard it that way:

http://www.kissthisguy.com/archive/lyric.1708.html

http://notes.torrez.org/2004/11/go_see_cal.html

Edited by SermonOfMockery

Guest paccollective

okay, i've listened to this several times. clearly the backup singers were playing a devious joke.