Sign in to follow this  
Guest Animeishon

:Help: Chasing Workstation

Guest Animeishon

So my 3 year old puter (custom build by some fat guy I used to work with) fried and died (I'm bedazzled that it lasted that long) :blink: . I knew he talked smack when he said he knows what he's doing (btw it won't start anymore so I assume the power supply got bollocksed or maybe the motherboard? how can I find out?). <_<

Good riddance though because it was loud as hell and threw a hissy fit just when I needed it the most. Oh well I sure can use some time away from the clunk box.

Right now I'm surfing on a pentium 3 500mhz with 224 ram. :o

No fun I tell ya.

Anyway since you all do the damn thing on workhorses, tell a bro where to get the good stuff. Should I build it myself (lord have mercy) or get it from the legal robbers like boxx, alienware or dell??

Is there anything like newegg but for Europe?

I do 3d and animation

Help me please :P

Thanks

Guest clintvideo

Building a Pee Cee is like building a mountain bike. You pay more up front, but you get it just the way you want.

I bolted together my editing system from carefully scrounged parts, threw in the WinXP CD, within the hour I had a fully functioning system. And without any of the garbage those pre-packaged systems typically come with (especially Dell).

Cf

Guest Beaver

I wouldn't pony up for a BOXX or Alienware.

Dell or Gateway are actually great deals if you get them when they're running a special. The new dual-core pentiums are pretty nice if you like to do other crap whilst rendering. Also if you're a C4D user, that program takes full advantage of dual-core and HT processors when rendering.

I've hit up all the component websites, and when it's all said and done the price isn't that much different. I say avoid the hassle and just buy one from Dell or Gateway.

Guest Dezighner

I have found the building a PC will get you alot more power for the $$$. I have one I built at home that runs flawlessly. And at work we use only Boxx systems.

Bottom line is: How comfortable are you with building a PC, knowing the in's and out's.....etc...etc..and being prepared to deal with multiple vendors if things go wrong?

Out of the turnkey systems I feel Boxx is superior in their history, client list, knowledgable support (their support people actually know the apps u use as well!)...and timely fixes and cross-ships to rectify issues.

Alienware is a 'game machine' company that only recently got into 'high-end'. And Dell does make good systems,....but if you look at the top studios (ILM,DW..etc..etc) they all use Boxx.

Guest RustyAce

the 3d guys I work with use dells but rave about boxx, i hated my dell when i had it and it was top of the line, and the hard drive died in 2 years.

sounds like it was the hard drive if it was makking that much noise, justt a guess though.

So my 3 year old puter (custom build by some fat guy I used to work with) fried and died (I'm bedazzled that it lasted that long) :blink: . I knew he talked smack when he said he knows what he's doing (btw it won't start anymore so I assume the power supply got bollocksed or maybe the motherboard? how can I find out?). <_<

Good riddance though because it was loud as hell and threw a hissy fit just when I needed it the most. Oh well I sure can use some time away from the clunk box.

Right now I'm surfing on a pentium 3 500mhz with 224 ram.  :o

No fun I tell ya.

Anyway since you all do the damn thing on workhorses, tell a bro where to get the good stuff. Should I build it myself (lord have mercy) or get it from the legal robbers like boxx, alienware or dell??

Is there anything like newegg but for Europe?

I do 3d and animation

Help me please  :P

Thanks

34878[/snapback]

Guest opus13
the 3d guys I work with use dells but rave about boxx, i hated my dell when i had it and it was top of the line, and the hard drive died in 2 years.

sounds like it was the hard drive if it was makking that much noise, justt a guess though.

34887[/snapback]

if you can get a boxx, go for it. sure its going to be more expensive than dell or rolling your own... but the support is superb, and they use top notch components. no 'built-by-the-lowest-bidder-starving-bargain" parts.

i'd get a dell only if it was through the business line. their small busines and home support lines are abdolute crap, and not worth the hassle. i've killed more brain cells than i care to admit being told that its my software and that i have to reinstall windows... when the machine wont turn on.

things go wrong. expect it whether you build or buy (it's much safer that way :) ). it's really the support that you are paying for in the end, and lets admit it: computers are high tech legos now, and any monkey can put a machine together. its what happens after the sale that really distinguishes an OEM.

oh yeah - stay the f*ck away from alienware. the support is a joke and they are way overpriced to begin with. 'professional grade' my ass.

Guest Deepsky

I never just get good parts and throw it together. The last workstation built I spent 3 months before putting it together and so to save money. Also I had a computer guy help me build it and have him research the parts I picked and make sure there will be no compatibility issues.

Read up and join a PC hardware forum. Ask those computer geeks who live the life of electronics whats best for you or see what they rate the best hard drives, power supplies, ect. Call up the manufactorer or visit there site to see if the parts are recommended.

For harddrives I found most recommended are the Seagate Barracudas. Lot of love with the Opterons. DDR memory - make sure that the brand and will work with the motherboard just like the CPU and capture card you choose. ect

Recently built a new workstation with the stats below, of course with help from a guy that builds PCs over a period of three months. Ordered all parts from Newegg.com, fast shipping and very cool about returning parts that aren't compatible. I had issues with the motherboard not booting up becuase it didn't like the DDR memory. 3 times was the charm.

Duel Opteron 2.2 ghz

ASUS K8N-DL ServerWork, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131059

1 IDE Seagate 7800rpm drive (for xp pro) 80G

4 Seagate Barracuda 250G drives raided. 8m, SATA

NVidea Quadro FX 1400

Dual DDR ECC Registered Memory - 2 G

Sony DVD burner

550 watt power supply - ROSEWILL

CASE THERMALTAKE - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811133154

oh yeah, this is the quietest computer I have ever heard and there are 7 fans running at once. Hope this post helps someone in some way.

Guest Baconzoo

I've built 7 machines over the last 5 years.

pricewatch.com

pricegrabber.com

zipzoomfly.com

Yes you can get more for your money but you have to do a lot of research.

The last one I built I swore I'd never do it again. "Turn-key" never sounded so good.

PS

This is what I'm dreaming of for HDV editing

http://www.videoguys.com/DIY3.html

Edited by Baconzoo

Guest SermonOfMockery

i have a boxx (AMD 64 3200+) that i bought a few months back. i shopped around and it turned out to be only like $250 more expensive than building it myself, plus has a warranty and i really didnt want to deal with building it myself. it was worth every penny.

Guest Deepsky
i have a boxx (AMD 64 3200+) that i bought a few months back. i shopped around and it turned out to be only like $250 more expensive than building it myself, plus has a warranty and i really didnt want to deal with building it myself. it was worth every penny.

34915[/snapback]

Really!? Last year I was going to buy a BOXX. I compared my machine to Boxx and saved alot more than that, if I remember right it was at least a thousand. $250 would be nice having warranties and already being built. One thing about building it yourself as long as you did a lot of research you get to see the differences in hardware and opterating systems and understand it more. In the end hopefully you get what you wanted if you did as much as I have. All the parts are 3 years warrantied anyways.

Guest SermonOfMockery

well i mean i'm sure if i combed pricewatch and scrimped every fucking penny i could probably have saved more, but honestly it's not worth it to me. although i COULD build my own machine i hate computers and anything technical so i'd rather pay a small premium and have someone to blame if something goes wrong.

Guest Animeishon

deepsky what kinda fans did you use?? I assume you used aftermarket coolers?

I know that asus motherboards are higly recommended with the little research I already made.

I agree though, if you buy it from boxx for instance, you have a peace of mind if something fucks up.

I have another question

Can you mix ram together?

I have 3 ram of 512 corsair pc2100, can I use these in my new workstation with other rams?

Guest Deepsky

It depends on your motherboard. Go to the manufacturer's site or call them up to make sure your Memory is compatible or recommended with the motherboard. I try to keep with certain brands. Like hard drives, I buy just Seagates. For fans, look up the reviews on the product say at newegg and see if the power supply, CPU fans, or the fans that come with the case are loud.

I have always had issues with loud fans, but this time I tryed something different, more fans but running lower = ultra quiet. Just get a big cool case. ;)

The fans that came with my case (4) are very quiet. The CPU fans are quiet as well, was originally told they are loud. Power supply, I just got lucky with, especially for the wattage (550).

Edited by Deepsky

Guest scottgfx
I've built 7 machines over the last 5 years.

pricewatch.com

pricegrabber.com

zipzoomfly.com

Yes you can get more for your money but you have to do a lot of research.

The last one I built I swore I'd never do it again.  "Turn-key" never sounded so good.

PS

This is what I'm dreaming of for HDV editing

http://www.videoguys.com/DIY3.html

34913[/snapback]

I'm a Mac user, but I've built a couple of PCs and I've helped friends with building systems. If there's a bunch of money riding on the system, then a turn-key is the best approach. If it's your own money and you are on a tight budget then a home-brew is OK as long as you do a lot of research!!! In my case, my personal systems were more for hobby, and I was careful. The big rig is a dual Athlon system with a RAID and Gigabit ethernet. It's been used as a render engine for some Lightwave projects. I would even say that building your own system will help you out when you need to figure out what went wrong when it fails. The dual Athlon system was in the middle of a project when it decided to not boot up anymore. I figured out that an expensive RAM module failed, and in the process, corrupted the hard drive. If it was someone else's money or my only system, I would have been dead in the water. I was able to keep going on my other system and fix the problem later. The memory problem could have easily been the Mac, so I'm not turning this into a platform war. My point is that if you buy a system turn-key and have a warrantee, you have some recourse when things go wrong. With the home-brew, I'm the tech support... with the help of the web.

(I've never done origami, but I have spent a lot of time routing cables abound the computer case. :)

Guest scottgfx

The vendors I've used include...

directron.com

newegg.com

gamepc.com

My brother also uses zipzoomfly.com and seems happy with them. He's the one who got me into building systems. He's an editor in Atlanta... perhaps he could build systems for all the Atlanta PC Mographers. :)

Guest parallax

I would certainly go for a Dual-core or (dual)Opteron config if money allows it. AMD is currently the performance king by all means. If you have no prior PC building knowledge, and you really don't want to deal with constantly taking your system apart, don't go build it yourself.

If you do want to learn the ins and outs of system building (boring) than be prepared to spend/waste a lot of time on every single part of your future computer. From the latency of your RAM, to the layout of your case. It's by the way a bad idea to be mixing RAM sticks from the get-go. If you plan on cramming your system full of RAM, do it right

away, no "phasing in". RAM brand and quality is on of the most overlooked things of PC building, poor RAM can make your brand new PC act like it's running Win95 on a 368.

3 parts i think tend to be overlooked, but are important anyway: Mainboard, RAM, Case/PSU.

Unless you buy a high-end graphicscard, you can often get away with any of the 138417 brands of GeForce cards. They often use the default Nvidia board design anyway. Stay away from Asus graphicscards. They put on all kinds of proprietary crap.

If you want to buy a prebuild system, go for Boxx by all means. If your lucky you can find the parts for a current Boxx system and build it yourself without the Boxx brand premium. Wich by the way will also get you expert service, and installs. A Boxx tech guy is even on CGTalk helping out customers.

I've never seen a Dell employee do anything other then complaining you took the case apart, and thus voided the warranty.

Guest Animeishon

thanks guys

I'm still contemplating what I should do.

Boxx is expensive as hell initially but can turn out a rock solid investment. Building my own can be quite an experience but if something fails I can only kick myself in the bollocks.

None of the websites mentioned here are for europeans, some do ship to europe but won't take credit cards!!