Sign in to follow this  
Guest pixel_pimp

AJA Io - Codec?

Guest pixel_pimp

Hey,

Does anybody have any experience with the AJA Io Box for FCP? I am told that the codec the system takes is DV-NTSC in After Effects. The only problem with this is that it doesn't support embedded Alpha. No big deal for me, but those editors complain "I have to do two extra steps to make it work".Also the quality on my end (in quicktime) looks pretty bad. Is there a AJA codec that anyone now or uses. Thanks

Guest soulmobile

As far as I know AJA hasn't got any codec.

It's system is based on quicktime, and the codecs depend on your software's version or on the ones you installed.

Infact once you imported footage via AJA on your computer, the file is a .mov, not a .aja. This means you can transfer it to any other computer and it will be useable if you have the right quicktime plug in.

Guest Sao_Bento

The IO does work with DV NTSC, but that's not the only format (and that codec doesn't support alpha channels). The easiest thing to do is render to a standard QuickTime lossless codec, such as Animation or PNG (I prefer PNG) with an alpha channel (millions + in the color pulldown). The plus is that these are codecs sure to be on any Final Cut System, so you're guaranteed compatability.

Ideally, you would work at 16 bits in your apps using a file format such as SuperPNG or Microcosm as an intermediate to maintain the largest color range possible. This will get the most out of the I/O's support for 10 bit uncompressed. The down side is that these are uncommon codecs that you would have to go out of your way to install on the editor's machines (they also cost money, where the other ones are free).

hope that helps

SB