Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jog_shapes

price and costs of tv pop up graphics

Guest Jog_shapes

hey guys,

I was wondering how much would it cost to produce pop up graphics for television like those little pop ups you have while watching a tv show. for e.g:- "survivor will be right back after this" appears and disappears within let's say 5 seconds?, and this is layered over the tv show. ive been offered a job to produce graphics for 8 television programmes. client has offered 1,500 for 2 weeks worth of work(but i'm thinking i'm gonna be working a hell lot more)...i was wondering what an average pay was for things like these...

thanks a bunch..

jog.

Guest Sao_Bento

It's like Mike said when you posted this in the Creative Cow AE forum, it depends on how you wanna do business. If you think $18 an hour is fair, go for it. Personally I'd be looking for about 4X that price.

Guest scottiedarko

Sao, your hourly wage is 4x that of 18/hr? And you get work with that? I'm just starting and getting 30/hr on-staff...I'm sure you have much more experience but who the hell pays you that much?

Guest Sao_Bento

I freelance at that rate all the time. That's working on my own equipment. It's somewhat on par with what post houses in this area charge clients for "mac graphics" work. You gotta have design skills, but what really sets your value is your ability to provide customer service and build relationships. That's how service industries work. The key to being able to have a future in this business is to put yourself in a position of selling your ideas rather than your time as an "operator" of software.

Jean Hauptman posted something at Creative Cow about how Belief never charges less than $5000.00 for anything - She said she was inspired to begin working that way herself (and has been ever since) so apparently that approach is working for some people too.

Guest Douglas

From my experience, you can crank those little things out pretty fast and the animation on them is fairly simplistic for the most part. About a second for it to resolve on sit there for about 5seconds and then another second to animate off. 2weeks sounds somewhat reasonable in terms of time, in which I doubt you are going to need that much time. $1500 I think is a fair price for the project as a whole. You might want to ask for some exsisting graphics from the shows you are creating them for.