Sign in to follow this  
Guest belief

Rip Off Artists

Guest belief

So we have all had our work inspire someone else, this is a great honor and its fun seeing how people take styles and run with them.

But I would love to start a forum for stuff that has been completely RIPPED OFF!

Here is my first entry.

We recently discovered a newly launched Chinese Network that totally Ripped off our Zoom package we had done for Times India Group.

This ripoff was so clear, they didn't even change colors or camera moves.

Only the talent changed, into Chinese.

This is the danger when you show people the how to of how to do things and give away the secrets, though I love doing that because most people take that and make NEW stuff with those techniques.

Be ready to have your jaw drop!

Here is the direct image - Side By Side Comparison

http://www.belief.com/news/files/00.Belief...%20-%20Zoom.pdf

If the link above doesn't work try this one, then click view PDF.

http://www.belief.com/news/index.php?theme...%20-%20Zoom.pdf

When this kind of stuff can happen, why are we all trying so hard?

Is this the beginning of the end? Is design simply a commondity like some cheap product at target?

THINK ABOUT IT!

Mike Goedecke

Founder of Belief

Guest fredcamino

yow... that is blatant. what's incredible to me is that someone would have to balls to do something so wholly unoriginal. obviously we all share techniques and styles , a look at the reel section will reveal all the similarities in work being done today. but i think that goes with the territory in a trend/style based industry. there's going to be paint splats and shine and 2d cutouts in 3d space and deer heads and 3d graffiti and all that other great stuff. but to blatantly and unabashadley rip an entire piece of work from concept down to execution... that's pretty pathetic. the fact remains thought that you guys were the originators and whoever made that did nothing more than make a tracing and sell it as their own... i'm sure no one here is too impressed by it. and the "unknown chinese television network" now was a very unoriginal brand which seems to go against the entire idea of branding.

Guest matt

That's blatant and ridiculous. It's sad to see stuff like this.

I've seen many websites that have been ripped and the rip ends up being a really bad version of the original, much like the commercial they ripped from you.

The bottom line seems to be that some people do not have enough pride in their own work or dignity to know that they are completely taking someone elses work in place of their own.

Inspiration does not equal Copying.

Guest nonZero

thats a burn,

i'm guessing that since you refer to them as an "unknown" network you are not able to hit them with some kind of intellectual copywrite suit. i guess being in a coutry where our laws do not apply is also a hindrance.

you should do some southpark tutorials so next time you get ripped off, they end up with a steaming turd.

Guest govinda

Yo Mike,

If we could trust every member to be mature about it and not go for reaches and kindas and immature outrage, I'm all about what you're saying. Problem is that (1) it's really negative and (2) it's a breeding ground for rampant speculation and (3) as renascent is fond of saying 'everything is a ripoff of something.' I don't agree with renascent's full point because there are degrees of ripoffness, but he's onto something, and the sillier among us will leap to point out how something by lobo is a ripoff of something by mk12 just because they're both red.

But post away. That's just must my .02.

Guest peteh

wow , thats bold...

it is something to copy a style, a look or a concept but

it amazes me to think that someone goes through your work and painstakingly recreates your work shot by shot. can see all those chinese workers sitting in a big sweatshop factory crancking out the ripp. i wonder what goes through these peoples minds. but being it china (the land of the non-existing copyright), you can consider yourself lucky they didn't repurpose your original packaging. at least they shot their own footage (or so it seems).

Guest fredcamino

i agree the the request to post other rip-offs is tough, because where is the line drawn? i mean there's probably enough rip-offs of psyops lugz 3d graffiti for us to fill up a couple of pages, but that's become sort of a style now. everyone seemed to agree that the guy who posted the thing with the falling leaves in the showcase forum that looked like psyops "bombay" piece was a rip-off... but it's no where near the level of this belief zoom rip-off. it's just a hard line to define. if anything, i think only direct nearly frame for frame rip-offs should be included... the types (like this one) that really make you look twice like those "what's wrong with this picture" games.

Edited by fredcamino

Guest Self_90

That'S a disgrace, pure Ripoff like that! they deserve a lawsuit or something.

What the hell were they thinking? Now hope this brings out a good warning to the next thieves!

If you have a pride in doing your job don't ripoff tha works, Please.

Guest belief

Its funny you mentioned that Psyop Piece for Bombay, if you are ever at a bookstore, check out the artist Darren Waterston and you will see where that entire spot came from... amazing piece they did for sure, but wow was it taken from this artist.

http://www.darrenwaterston.net/buch_e.html

On this link they actually have the book opened to the page that inspired psyop, down to the colors.

And the 3D graffitti stuff, here is a really cool link of someone who captures the actual performance of artists.

http://a.parsons.edu/~roth/thesis/TEMP_gra...ture/index.html

Im going to pull out some more of DIRECT ripoffs that we have found of other work we did.

Guest Self_90
That'S a disgrace, pure Ripoff like that!  they deserve a lawsuit or something.

What the hell were they thinking? Now hope this brings out a good warning to the next thieves!

If you have a pride in doing your job don't ripoff tha works, Please.

36135[/snapback]

I will add to my signature line : Tricks get applause... Style gets respect... and ripoff will get nailed

Guest fredcamino
Its funny you mentioned that Psyop Piece for Bombay, if you are ever at a bookstore, check out the artist Darren Waterston and you will see where that entire spot came from... amazing piece they did for sure, but wow was it taken from this artist.

http://www.darrenwaterston.net/buch_e.html

On this link they actually have the book opened to the page that inspired psyop, down to the colors.

so at what point does it move from inspiration to duplication?

Guest Self_90
so at what point does it move from inspiration to duplication?

36140[/snapback]

yep, where is the line like you said ?

Guest govinda

Waterston, my god, what a revelation. His stuff is beautiful.

But the antecedents to Drift are more than that. I'm not just defending my favorite piece. Hokusawa, et al. had their play in that little dittie also.

Guest postmodern

wow :o

damn theiving mofo's..no integrity. at least the rest of the community knows where the real creatives are.

much love to you n ur peeps in santa.monica, i was there last year and enjoyed bs'n with you guys.

Guest og_reborn

I heard a good point once...can't remember where but it wasn't mine (and I should mention that considering this is a thread about ripoffs)

but anyway I thought it was a good comfort to those who get ripped off...It was just that no matter how well a ripoff is executed, it'll never be as good as the original because it's a solution that wasn't developed for the problem that it's being applied to...and therefore it'll always lack the amount of vitality the original had...

something like that.

Yours was better anyway.

p.s. does anyone here visit CGtalk? Remember Dale Williams?? Thank goodness he's not ino mograph B)

Guest mankeroo

I was once forced to do a ripoff by an art director and producer at my first job...I was financially in a fix so I couldn't quit...but I did as soon as I could. It sucked.

Guest nextseason

First off, that has got to be the most blatant rip i've ever seen.

Secondly Mike, those two links you posted are two of the coolest i've seen in a while. That Darren Waterston work is beautiful!

Every time I call someone out for ripping on this site they just start arguing and attack my work telling me i suck, it's just become pointless to me.

Those who rip know what they are. Those who strive to create something new and original can at least have the confidence in knowing they are legitimately trying to create some thing new.

Clintvideo = you post in this thread was meaningless and stupid.

Guest jasfish

Yeah, I agree that link to Darren Waterston was great. I just ordered the book from Amazon ;)

Guest BKM

@ Belief... Please don't stop doing "behind the Mograph" explanations. For those of us that are small fish, we love to see and learn.

As far as the "tutorial", I have seen lot's of movie behind the scenes, but I doubt that I can go out and make "Lord of the Rings." These rip-off artists really did a nice job of disecting your design and recreating it, although poorly. They coul dhave done this without your behind the scenes video.

Being at the top of the mountain, you will always be an idol, and people will want to be just like you.

BKM

Guest belief

Here is a trace of another piece we did that we were inspired by and then found Ripoffs around the world.

http://www.belief.com/news/files/39.Chain%...Inspiration.pdf

This pdf follows a trail of inspiration, and explains why certain elements are the way they are.

I am also going to post a side by side movie comparison of another piece we did, that the people actually stole the temp music off our website that we put to the piece.

That coming shortly.

Guest BKM

Here are some quotes to help.

He who imitates what is evil always goes beyond the example that is set; on the contrary, he who imitates what is good always falls short.

Author: Franceso Guicciardini

Source: Storia d' Italia

Imitation is suicide.

Author: Ralph Waldo Emerson

No man ever yet became great by imitation.

Author: Dr Samuel Johnson

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

Author: Salvador Dali

Posterity weaves no garlands for imitators.

Author: Johann Friedrich Von Schiller