Sign in to follow this  
Guest belief

Rip Off Artists

Guest the_Monkey

Only people with a small basket of ideas whine about getting ripped off.

The rest just grab another idea from their basket and move on.

This thread reeks of ego and overinflated self-importance.

-m

"Anyone who thinks they're doing something new hasn't read very much." - RAWillis

Guest scottgfx
Only people with a small basket of ideas whine about getting ripped off.

The rest just grab another idea from their basket and move on.

This thread reeks of ego and overinflated self-importance.

-m

"Anyone who thinks they're doing something new hasn't read very much." - RAWillis

36300[/snapback]

And just what exactly are you doing right now?

Guest belief

I think my point was more to show how uncreative some trully creative people are.

I would hope in stealing (which as you said we all do) one could change an element or 2.

Change a camera angle or maybe a color.

I mean stealing with that much detail is really hard to do, why not just spend that hard stolen energy on making something new?

But who knows, maybe thats just my obscure view of the world, I guess my "egocentric" view that people can do better, especially when they have something to copy, improve on it.

But I guess you are right, its Kind of like wishing for world peace, it will never happen.

Guest SermonOfMockery

that a good point. it would almost be MORE work to copy something that precisely than to just kind of steal the idea and do it your own way (not saying that's much better).

Guest UNIKFREK

Man...I gotta agree with all of you out there that getting ripped off does SUCK. I know I've been ripped off by classmates in a competition for the One Show (print advt.). I remember helping some kids with some art direction issues, and what do you know, 24 hours before the competition, they ripped off me and my partner's concept. Totally lame-o kablame-o.

But on the positive side...know that when your work is being ripped off, people are seeing it as GOOD SH*T.

Guest pauloblob

WTF!!!!!!! Disgusting! One thing we should know about chinese marketing, they copy everything... Here in Brazil, the made a product invasion some years ago, killing some industries, jobs... But i never saw something like this...

You should process these guys and grab they by the ears and give a good kick in the ass...

good luck and i hope this never happen again...

Guest MBX

i find it almost a little paradoxial that the best thing belief ever did was that "pollinate" clip (explaining creativity, etc.), while their actual design work isn't really innovative. and if you say apple stole your idea (don't know if black silhouettes haven't been done before) and say that people should at least improve, then i must say they did (i'm just speaking about the apple ipod campaign though).

just my opinion.

Guest jasfish

I was wondering how long it would take to turn into a Belief-bashing session. Too bad. I hope this doesn't keep Mike from sharing more here and on his site.

Guest MBX

oh, not bashing. i appercite belief's work. but i don't think it's really innovative compared to other studios, for example. but i guess that's not what this thread is about.

so as fredi said, don't take me serious.

Guest the_Monkey
i find it almost a little paradoxial that the best thing belief ever did was that "pollinate" clip (explaining creativity, etc.), while their actual design work isn't really innovative. and if you say apple stole your idea (don't know if black silhouettes haven't been done before) and say that people should at least improve, then i must say they did (i'm just speaking about the apple ipod campaign though).

just my opinion.

36426[/snapback]

I'm right there with you MBX. Serious or not.

The black silhouettes? Please. Why did Belief choose to *begin* the "chain of inspiration" with themselves? Why didn't they tip their hat to the vaudeville artists in the early 1900's who'd been using shadow puppets and theatre techniques that were passed down from Italian Comedia artists in the 1500's, who had learned the tricks from the Chinese who had been doing it for thousands of years?

If you don't want to be copied perhaps you shouldn't make things that are so easy to copy.

There's a reason Psyop didn't start this thread. ;)

-m

Guest BKM
The black silhouettes? Please. Why did Belief choose to *begin* the "chain of inspiration" with themselves? Why didn't they tip their hat to the vaudeville artists in the early 1900's who'd been using shadow puppets and theatre techniques that were passed down from Italian Comedia artists in the 1500's, who had learned the tricks from the Chinese who had been doing it for thousands of years?

36450[/snapback]

So the Chinese stole from Belief who originally stole from the Chinese?

What goes around..... ;)

j/k

BKM

Guest belief

I agree our work at belief totally sucks, completely derivative, mundane and un-inspiring.

I've actually been doing this for 12 years just to make crap, so Im glad someone finally sees it for what it is. It has though been fun fooling the world this long. cheers.

In terms of shutting the heck up,

As soon as I can find something else to do,

where all of my wasted efforts, time and energy are only for myself and no one paying my bill,

I will quit this industry and leave genius to those companies and individuals really applying their inovations and sharing them with the world.

Im sure those people will be having much more fun changing the color of a lower third,

then I will ever have sipping margaritas teaching people how to surf somewhere.

The less people like Belief in this business the better!

Edited by belief

Guest renascent

congrats guys, you can be such assholes sometimes.... lets all make rainbows add some deers, flowing arrows, paindrips and call it a day.

Belief, keep doing what you do, there are people that do appriciate it!, belief it or not ;)

And to get back to the point, if you have the skills to completely remake a spot, why the hell would you remake it, as obviously you have enough skills to do your own thing...

Guest Nerra

No need to be negative belief.

Just laugh at whats happend and know that you guys did the original. Also think yourself lucky that you run a successful business and that you live in a nice place and that you're not being bombed or hit by a tsunami. Being ripped off is a bummer but its not the end of the world.

I'm sure someone once said, immitation is the highest form of admiration ;)

I also like the quote in fight club - "Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy"

Peace!

Guest govinda

See what I mean when I wrote upthread about maybe not wanting to go down this road of talking about originality? :D We get all types. I don't agree with Monkey or MBX in the least. Down that path lies nihilism disguised as normative purity.

The conversation over originality is one of those things like the extent of the universe and the red hairs on indica bud that keeps college kids talking late into the night. The principles involved in copying are old and worn to me by now. But you have a specific case, and that case is dead proven by your pdf. I just knew that it'd go larger into the issue of ripping off (and of course I went there like an eager little dorm kid myself).

Guest Nerra

Another quote a i vaguely remember.

Jimi Hendrix (the master himself) said something like, "I've heard people copy me so much that I've even heard them copy my mistakes".

Guest Krakken

Looking where this thread ended up reminds why I hate the internet. And you guys wonder why people from more studios don't post here?!

Guest Self_90

I think we lost it ! there will be thiefs and some that like to work and be creative.

Why don't someone " suit me up", I got the yellow thing from Mr.Flat!

let's go to a other thread. ;)

Edited by self90

Guest swimtwobirds

latter day viewer/poster. Krakken bloke is right methink? MIT studies since "97 have conclusively proven that threads over 30-40 invariably go completely off their rocker. There. is. no. shtoppin. em. The issue here surely is that this particular design execution is almost creepy in its slavish adherence. There is no real comparison with the finer points of design inheritance: this particular piece is just a bit stalker-ish, no?

Edited by swimtwobirds

Guest swimtwobirds

Speaking of which (and working to boot, i'm pretty sure the spot has lost aaalll coherence) but does horse look like it could go for another vowel? OK its a quadraped of some sort, give it a name, but for some reason i think its lacking a vowel. hourse. whorse. the letter count seems mean, oddly. jeepers am i feeling giddy. No really. giiiidddyyy. glarp. gefunden. begroffen. beschmielen. berschnammen. gegroppen. (german flavour). kaklup. karafueigo. felltara. demurana. krep. pee i feel a smidge better. And i can heartily recommend richard o briens books. top-o.

Guest Nhowe

Sorry to see such a blatant and undeniable bite! it is truly mind boggling... The people who matter know who rocked it first though.

To Mike and the others at Belief keep layin’ down Platinum

$Respect$

Nate

Edited by Nhowe