Sign in to follow this  
Guest belief

Rip Off Artists

Guest renascent

Sermon i dont thtink its about how good one is or how one is not. but the approach one takes as an individual, how motivated one is. i struggle too you know, i work atleast 18 hours a day.

its the point where one decides to stop struggling and start ripping that bothers me.

people here saying just to stay derrative, cmon.

i live and breath what i do, which prolly aint healthy either i admit...

im overly passionate.

Guest Sao_Bento

It's a question of statistical probabilities. Aim for the middle of the bell curve and you'll be safe. People won't strongly like or dislike your work. Mediocrity is a safe, warm blanket.

Edited by Sao_Bento

Guest Nerra

Why won't this damn swf file work in flash mx 2004? All i get is blank frames.

What ive learnt recently is that alot of studios, even the famous ones do mediocre work that tey arnt proud of but pay the bills. They are just careful what they show off and what they put their name to.

I got a new BMX today :D

Guest postmodern

whats up with all this "im happy being stale and mediocre?" of course everyone gets jobs that just need to get done but it should still be done with the same passion. only people like ren and the other big shots get to where they are because they strive to be more then just another graphic designer. And from the way most of yall speak in here i highly doubt anybody wants to be mediocre at best. i hear all these great comments and critisms from sermon and the others and now your happy with being mediocre.. no your not.. thats why your in this biz? i dont know.. im really suprised to hear that most of you are content with not growing.

Guest MBX
i work atleast 18 hours a day.

me 24 hours, even in the sleep. i have one foot on the keyboard pressing buttons subconciously.

there are times when you only need 3 or 4 hours of sleep because it's so exciting and can't wait to wake up. that's usually the most original work. personal stuff especially.

but why can't we see eachother as one? then we'll not be mad at eachother when someone copy's us. but we will enjoy their love... and we give them love (love your enemy, there are no enemies. there are only bombs)... and we dance in rainbows and this world is one. and we're all connected. our brains build a new super-computer that can even handle joshua davis' websites without any lagging background graphics moving in space. and sweet piggie flythroughs, wormholes. we fly to other stars, we have to leave this planet. a new revolution, leaving behind the history with a tear in the eye... all those pyramids, all the world wonders we built, all left back... but we have to move on, one day with our spaceships, get through some wormholes to a parallel universe. there is no copy... there is no regret, there is no sexuality, but unity. boring.

i was just thinking how nice it would be if the entire universe would be filled with air, you could breathe out there then.

Guest Sao_Bento

I think you stole that from a Wu Tang song.

>>but why can't we see eachother as one? then we'll not be mad at eachother when someone copy's us. but we will enjoy their love... and we give them love (love your enemy, there are no enemies. there are only bombs)... and we dance in rainbows and this world is one. and we're all connected. our brains build a new super-computer that can even handle joshua davis' websites without any lagging background graphics moving in space. and sweet piggie flythroughs, wormholes. we fly to other stars, we have to leave this planet. a new revolution, leaving behind the history with a tear in the eye... all those pyramids, all the world wonders we built, all left back... but we have to move on, one day with our spaceships, get through some wormholes to a parallel universe. there is no copy... there is no regret, there is no sexuality, but unity. boring.

i was just thinking how nice it would be if the entire universe would be filled with air, you could breathe out there then.<<

Guest fredcamino

I'll tell you the problem with the [creative] power that you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!

Guest fredcamino

it's a paraphrased quote from jurassic park. replace creative with scientific and the quote is the original. i'm saying it to no one. i'm just being ridiculous now :)

Guest SermonOfMockery

i hate to break it to you renascent but i work 18 hour days all the time too, yet obviously have not achieved your level. you've got the juice, i don't, and that's all there is to it. we can't all be as naturally talented as you are... hard work only goes so far (athletics work this way too).

Guest thomwill
hard work only goes so far (athletics work this way too).

36721[/snapback]

yeah i wanted to play lawn darts professionally, but i just don't have the genetics for it.

Guest fredcamino

true story... when i was a kid i took karate. i could never make a proper fist though. i was told to bend my thumb underneath my fingers in a fist, but just couldn't do it. i tried and tried and came to the conclusion that bending the thumb was just a skill that i would never learn. 10 years or so pass and i realize that bending your thumb isn't a skill, but something everyone can do (yes it really took me till the age of 18 to realize this). i realize that my fucked up genetics left me with thumbs that dont bend (at the knuckle that is), and that no matter how hard i practiced making a proper fist, it would have made no difference because i was simply incapable of it.

Guest MBX

my friends. it's not about the hours you work. it's not about quantity, it's about quality!

go out and make love with your girlfriend or bee's & butterflies in the meadow for 17 hours and come back and think of one great idea in 1 hour.

it's better than force something shitty in 17 hours and make love only 1 hour.

idea is idea. and it's subjective. but sometimes there are times when the idea is bad, good or great. it can happen within seconds. it's how connected you are to the great source. but so far i've seen these great ideas only from artists who are directly connected to that source like the old masters (da vinci, bosch, dali, picasso, and so on to name a few popular).

but that doesn't happen if you watch tv all day, stupid soap operas or let you brainwash by the goverment.

Guest George.

do it as a hobby- no pressure

work as a marketing guy so everyone thinks ur always talking shit, everyone has always heard my ideas before - i just seem to regurgitate

surf everyday to keep u sane

works wonders

that or punch bongs every mornings

:lol:

Guest parallax
my friends. it's not about the hours you work. it's not about quantity, it's about quality!

go out and make love with your girlfriend or bee's & butterflies in the meadow for 17 hours and come back and think of one great idea in 1 hour.

it's better than force something shitty in 17 hours and make love only 1 hour.

idea is idea. and it's subjective. but sometimes there are times when the idea is bad, good or great. it can happen within seconds. it's how connected you are to the great source. but so far i've seen these great ideas only from artists who are directly connected to that source like the old masters (da vinci, bosch, dali, picasso, and so on to name a few popular).

but that doesn't happen if you watch tv all day, stupid soap operas or let you brainwash by the goverment.

36730[/snapback]

Dude, what good are those ideas if you can't put them on the screen/paper. I for one are not content with being stale and mediocre (wich i am), but my 'talent' only reaches a certain distance. The one thing i am even slightly confident about is my storytelling and conceptualizing skill, but try doing that for a living without first doing 50 years of mediocre adjustments of exhibition graphics, while lacking the time and energy to do personal work, that is the only key to a career and work that you are 100% passionate about, and wich you live and breath as Renascent put it.

Guest parallax
Hey renascent, are you by any chance going to IBC this year?

36734[/snapback]

The IBC is a complete waste of time, unless you've got a free ticket and your expenses are paid for.

Seriously.

Guest MBX
Dude, what good are those ideas if you can't put them on the screen/paper. I for one are not content with being stale and mediocre (wich i am), but my 'talent' only reaches a certain distance. The one thing i am even slightly confident about is my storytelling and conceptualizing skill, but try doing that for a living without first doing 50 years of mediocre adjustments of exhibition graphics, while lacking the time and energy to do personal work, that is the only key to a career and work that you are 100% passionate about, and wich you live and breath as Renascent put it.

36735[/snapback]

what i meant is it's the idea... once you have it you can work as much as you want. it was rather a general opinion that it is about quality, not quantity.

Guest Nerra

http://www.ibc.org/

The exibition is pretty cool and if you pre register its free. If you live in the Netherlands or the Uk like me, its a very cheap trip. If you are self employed then you can also write it off as a business trip. Any excuse to go to Amsterdam :D

Guest ai

To be honest i think we need another thread :

"Here what i stole"

Confessions from mographer junkies...

Guest capitalJ

this thread baffles me quiet a bit because the entire mograph industry is based upon ripping off something else are we not in the post post post modernist era

when jobs come in clients reference usually the same 3 or 4 spots from last year and they would be perfectly satisfied if you mirror imaged the entire spot they referenced just put there logo at the end

also as far as even getting jobs or being hired by these people they want to see the spot they want to make in your reel already especially if its a high budget commercial therefore they know youve done something like that already and its not much risk for them

originality....bah

innovation....bah

a mograph artist craves not these things

im lucky to work on 2 original ideas a year

even rarer that the idea doesnt get butchered into a million peices and a become a watered down deluded version of itself by the end

so when you see a pretty amazing spot on TV just think about the fighting and effort it actually took to get iit on air cause if it were the clients choice everyspot would be the exact same year after year

Guest belief

So back to the RIPOFF ARTIST idea.

Has anyone seen anything else around the globe that are true clones?

The original goal was to see if anyone else had been so blatently copied as the pieces I posted.

If you cant see the blatent cloning then you probably dont know the sky is blue.

I agree with someones post earlier.

Great design is about communication and not FLASH AND WOW.

Thus, as I tried to point out, when you just copy something or rip off someone elses style or even your own style and just slap a new logo on it, then its impact has to be dramatically reduced.

Thats why TV is so cluttered, its all the same crap with different people or the same logo tag that means nothing other than "that was a cool way to bring on the logo".

Meaning is everything.

Why do feature films have stories? (well some don't and those are usually really unsuccessful)

This is the whole, add lots of special effects and people will be wowed and watch the movie.

This philosophy works to a certain extent, but then it falls apart and audiences wander.

Thats why, at least we try, to have story in all the work we do, and 99% of the work we have done recently is on our site. So if you like it or not, you can't deny that most is client relevent.

If you dont at least feel our work is that, then we are TOTALLY failing at our mission.

Guest capitalJ

are you speaking on behalf of all of belief??

cause almost all motion and design houses spew the same idelogical business sense that we are different we care about only the originality of the work

but come crunchtime in nov - jan

when huge mega global company is offering you a million for 3 spots and they want them to look exactly like brand X's spot from last year are you gonna tell them no sorry go somewhere else

we only do original peices here and "meaning is everything"

So back to the RIPOFF ARTIST idea.

Has anyone seen anything else around the globe that are true clones?

The original goal was to see if anyone else had been so blatently copied as the pieces I posted.

If you cant see the blatent cloning then you probably dont know the sky is blue.

I agree with someones post earlier.

Great design is about communication and not FLASH AND WOW.

Thus, as I tried to point out, when you just copy something or rip off someone elses style or even your own style and just slap a new logo on it, then its impact has to be dramatically reduced.

Thats why TV is so cluttered, its all the same crap with different people or the same logo tag that means nothing other than "that was a cool way to bring on the logo".

Meaning is everything.

Why do feature films have stories?  (well some don't and those are usually really unsuccessful)

This is the whole, add lots of special effects and people will be wowed and watch the movie.

This philosophy works to a certain extent, but then it falls apart and audiences wander.

Thats why, at least we try, to have story in all the work we do, and 99% of the work we have done recently is on our site.  So if you like it or not, you can't deny that most is client relevent.

If you dont at least feel our work is that, then we are TOTALLY failing at our mission.

36769[/snapback]

Guest postmodern

most successful companies dont want to look like brand x from last year. if you look at best buy they are always evolving in design n concept.. where as the circut city people are stuck doing the same lame commercials. look at the two stocks compaired. most clients from my experience usually have a vague idea and maybe a wish washy story board, and are totally open to my ideas on how to improve on there initial concept. point being... the clients that have successful campaignes usually dont micromanage...