Sign in to follow this  
Guest belief

Rip Off Artists

Guest BKM
most successful companies dont want to look like brand x from last year. if you look at best buy they are always evolving in design n concept.. where as the circut city people are stuck doing the same lame commercials. look at the two stocks compaired. most clients from my experience usually have a vague idea and maybe a wish washy story board, and are totally open to my ideas on how to improve on there initial concept. point being... the clients that have successful campaignes usually dont micromanage...

36776[/snapback]

Since when are stock prices based on how good a companies spots look?

And what do you mean by CLIENTS? Even in the midwest, we can't get anything done without an agency (sometimes Agency=1 guy) or an art director involved. You just have clients/companies that just come to you and say, "create me something cool."?

BKM

Guest renascent

just came back from a meeting at 180 Amsterdam, with the Adidas adds hanging on the walls there...

with all the qoutes here, this will be the last thing ill add to this topic.

""Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary.

Impossible is nothing.

--Muhammad Ali/Adidas""

Guest postmodern

stock quotes are a reflection on how much the company is doing bizz. with big biz companies they spend alot on advertising. advertising is what drives the consumer to buy the product.

clients meaning..agencies... there is always an art director involved. and on some projects the "client" does ask me to make something "cool"...then we work together as a team... the better my relationship i have with my clients the more there gonna want to do work. but design isnt bout making something look cool. if you just want to make things look cool you shouldnt be in the commercial world. the design needs to communicate who the company is and what you need from them. I've been lucky to have some cool clients with some cool products. i've also had to do the lame commercials.. but you gotta pick your battles

Guest Sao_Bento
23r.jpg

36786[/snapback]

As Sermon would say "A++"

(yes, I realize it's ironic to quote someone else in a thread about originality)

Guest govinda

As to Mike's actual post... (wow, all the happy kids are out in force on this thread)

I have fifty examples from advertising. I'd love to scan them and show how awful ripoffs can be, but the short version is, just as bad as what you've shown (which is the worst thing I've ever seen in motion graphics), but done ten times more often.

I've even been ripped off twice. I showed my portfolio to a CD at an agency in SF and got the job. A few days later a guy known to the motion world was walking through the hallway with a blatant rip of the structure, headline style and layout of one of the ads from my portfolio as a comp for a client of theirs. He even showed it to guys I was standing with. He probably didn't even know I was where he got the idea from. I just stood there with my lower jaw rolling around somewhere underneath the Fiery.

The other one was a Got Milk ad I wrote and another guy got to take credit for. Just politics on that one. He should've bought me a car for what he earned off my script. I never heard of the guy again-lot of good it did him in the starfucker world of ads. (Told this story before here though.)

Guest govinda

Tim's in an artsy mood on this visit to the board. :) This is Duchamp's "Mona Lisa" with the mustache.

Guest elmyr

Highest form of flattery - ripoffs - in my humble opinion.

Been lucky enough to be ripped off myself once or twice - cocked myself laughing.

Seems a bit pointless getting agitated.

Oh and I work 25 hours a day under a sheet of tarpaulin in the middle of a motorway. Have done for 30 years, man and boy.

Guest elmyr

*Nudge nudge, wink wink

Edit: btw well spotted on the Duchamp Gov.. perhaps a thread on Mographs as found object is pertinent..

Edited by elmyr

Guest jo
So back to the RIPOFF ARTIST idea.

Has anyone seen anything else around the globe that are true clones?

36769[/snapback]

just came across this thread and to be frank, i am not surprised that the ZOOM design was being cloned in china. not to sound offensive to the broadcast guys in china, but this is actually a rather common practice there.

i ve recently came back from a trip to shanghai, china. prior to my visit there, i was already told by a colleague that most of the better broadcast works in china were direct clones of other overseas works, and he had personally seen the new HDCinema10 branding (http://www.riotmanhattan.com/riotmanhattan/newsitems/hdcinema_1203/HDCINEMA10pr.mov) by R!OT Manhattan being cloned as the branding for another chinese network, down to the exact camera angle, colours and timing.

over there, i also witnessed a program promo which was also a direct copy of the ESPN Sports Centre branding (http://www.troika.tv/project_ESPN_SCLOGOS/quicktime.mov) by Troika Design Group. Only thing that stood out differently was the end logo which was replaced by a chinese text, but nonetheless, created in the exact same fashion & look.

unfortunately, i am unable to provide any screencaps of the duplicates.

the core problem that resulted in this unhealthy practice seems to reflect on the broadcast industry in china, and some asia countries, that is; very little creatives but highly skilled in technical skills.

i had previously came across an applicant (from a neighbouring country) for the post of broadcast designer in my company, with a rather impressive showreel. however, having seen a fair amount of overseas works ourselves, we were able to spot at least half the showreel with direct clones from other overseas companies, from Beehive to Brand New School. And by direct clones, i mean the exact same colours, timing, camera angles etc. It was so similar that anyone would have thought that he has access to the original working files. Of course, we did not hire him.

To my current knowledge, the above mentioned designer is now freelancing in a company that one of my friend is in. last i i heard was that the usual way he work is by showing the client a couple of reference clips, and once approved, he will follow with the duplication process. and this, i believe is the same creative process behind the 'chinese ZOOM network'.

as for the Psyop Piece for Bombay, i see that as a "transfer of medium" from the still watercolour paintings of Darren Waterston. :)

Guest complete2
I think my point was more to show how uncreative some trully creative people are.

I would hope in stealing (which as you said we all do) one could change an element or 2.

Change a camera angle or maybe a color.

I mean stealing with that much detail is really hard to do, why not just spend that hard stolen energy on making something new?

36413[/snapback]

kinda like the guy who tried to cheat on a test...wrote down all the answers on his arm as small as he could, made it perfect.....day of the test came....he didn't need it.

he spent so much energy copying down the answers that he actually learned it all.

maybe these guys that copied us mike, have learned something. maybe next time they won't need to rip someone off.

just a thought.

Guest rairai

hi - i think this is a great thread. i wish i can sum up enough intellect to boast the merits of each points given and write a fancy post about it and make sure to be real pc about it. but i'm lazy now [no actually i'm working on projects], so i just got this to say:

if you haven't already, you should read "the fountainhead" by ayn rand - this discussion is otherwise useless. (take that last statement with a grain of salt, heh)

:)

Edited by rairai

Guest igorschmigor

dizamn, do i have something to contribute to this thread.

So i look at http://www.heatcreative.co.nz and think "hmmm, i've seen these women before" (the illustrations for 42below > link )

I browse my hard disc and find out they are from Jasper Goodall (www.jaspergoodall.com).

pic 1

pic 2

Thinking that heatcreative are professionals i guessed that they bought the rights for the illustrations. But anyway i contact Jasper to make sure he's not the victim of art theft. I got a reply from him. He didn't know anything about it, it really is stolen.

Holymoly!!!

Guest Self_90

Touché !!! :blink: What the .... f .. do we have another case on our hands?

The Pink Police is on to this!

police.jpg

Detective Igor is good :lol:

Guest Self_90

The Net ... but I have done some touch up on it ! :lol:

it was a regular pink car ! I magine it,s the womans car ... wow !

It,s now our police car !

Guest videoboy

There are some similarities between something Stardust made, and something I made with Intro for The Prodigy...but I can't tell who did it first...

Have a look at the Stardust reel, you'll see three flying lips come towards the camera, then look at the Prodigy clip for 'girls'(www.videoboy.co.nz) ...the same lips...we did the clip last year in July, I don't know when Stardust did their flying lips...?!

Guest fredcamino

old twizzlers commercials used to have flying lips.

twizzlers.gif

you and stardust have been caught!

Edited by fredcamino

Guest fredcamino

lol!

videoboy and stardust, you have the right to remain silent... anything you say or do can be used against you in a ripoff pdf from belief!

take em downtown govinda...

Guest govinda

In the spirit of ripping stuff off, I've snatched that pink cop car and now plan to use it everywhere without crediting Self. :D