Sign in to follow this  
Guest laughingcolors

Please help !

Guest laughingcolors

OK so i'm trying to come up witha concept for this song, by ryan adams as a class project .... Here are the lyrics to rock and roll by ryan adams:

Everybody’s cool playing rock n' roll

Everybody’s cool playing rock n' roll

I don’t feel cool, feel cool at all

I don’t feel cool, feel cool at all

Send all of my best out to the band

Send all of my best out to the band

I don’t think I’ll make it out to the show

I don’t think I’ll make it out to the show

There’s this girl I can’t get out of my head

There’s this girl I can’t get out of my head

And I don’t feel cool, feel cool at all

Than at the end their is a lady saying " i miss my best friend"..

really slow chill song, i'll try to post the mp3 soon.

I would love to hear your interpretations of the song !

Thanks and will try to get the mp3 up soon

Guest Sao_Bento

Not to sound harsh, but you're the designer right? If you're going to school to get a career in a creativity based field like film making, graphic design, or motion graphics doesn't it seem a little odd to ask other people to come up with ideas for you? Perhaps you should start getting in touch with your inner bank teller (just kidding . . . sort of).

Seriously, music has got to be the easiest thing in the world to come up with ideas for - just close your eyes and imagine you're watching a music video for that song - what kind of stuff do you see? That's what you should make.

I guess I can see coming up with an idea or storyboards and bouncing them off other people to see if you're in tune with them, but just asking someone what you should do shows a certain degree of laziness on your end. For instance, if I decided I needed to write a song, the first thing I would do is thuroughly research the history and techniques of music composition, structure, songwriting and poetry. From that informed point,

I would be ready to embark on writing a song.

I know that sometimes in school you are asked to do a project that you aren't that interested in and you'd rather not spend a lot of time researching and learning about something you think you'll only use in this one instance. The point of assigning such things is just that - to get you to learn something new in the process of completing the assignment.

Of course I could just be misreading the intentions of your post. If so, I apologize and fully support your option to consider me to be jerk from here on out.

Respectfully,

Sao Bento Pequeno

Bençao

Guest laughingcolors

sorry for the mis understanding-- i am trying to get opinions on what you all thing the song is about, any meanings that i am missing you know ?

to me the song is bout a loss of a good friend, & being depressed.. songs like these i think can have so many different meanings...

Guest Sao_Bento

OK, did you find anything about Ryan Adams? (I found several audio interviews with him after a google search for "Ryan Adams" and "Interview" - Maybe there is an interview or something where he discusses what the song is about (assuming he wrote it).

After listening to the preview on iTunes it clearly has a very somber sound. I think doing something that is in sync with the overall tone of the song will be more important than doing something that is a literal interpetation of the words. With a song who's tone is so clear, there is also always the option of using Eisensteins method of contrasting themes to get something unique (party footage edited to funeral dirge music, etc. as described in the books "Film Form" and "The Film Sense" by Sergei Eisenstein).

Film Form

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

The Film Sense

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Again, it would probably help if you described the actual assignment in detail as well.

SB

Guest laughingcolors

thanks for the quick response + research for it...

this class is basically a self project class, so in addition to making a DVD i'm trying to add an extra project in so really it is pretty open.

i've basically just begun the part of analyzing the song realizing its about seperation, mabye a miscomunnication ...so perhaps would it be gooddealing with miscommunication ?

thanks again