Sign in to follow this  
Guest paccollective

Absolute Motion Graphics

Guest Deepsky

Did they just use every pluggin available in Boris?

Great sound effects. :)

I feel better after watching this. Cheers.

Edited by Deepsky

Guest atslopes

37570[/snapback]

Im not hating on the work, some of it i like but it

Looks like some retro 96-99 mograph, but then it says :Animation Demo Reel, Fall 2004?!!

weird. :blink:

Guest laughingcolors

37570[/snapback]

I too feel better after watching this, and gives me more confidence that i can find work 8-)

Guest matt

I'm not going to lie, the intro had some dope miami vice style.

Edited by matt

Guest chriskelley

I had a conversation with nhowe last night and we talked about something that I think applies here. When people have been in the industry a long time, like Rob Birnholz, they usually have a bread and butter base of a couple clients who bring them constant work and are happy with the product they receive in return. Artists like that may have no desire to be on the newest hottest design trend, and they have no need - their clients don't expect it and are happy without it. Rob is likely very happy with where is career is and doesn't want to take over the world - probably gets alot more sleep then those of us who do :)

I know that this thread isn't really hating on the reel, more kind of poking it in it's chubby little belly... but I just thought I would throw my 2 cents out there.

Guest Tread

is that enya?

that first clip is on the digital anarchy site, I think, for the 3d assistants.

Guest Sao_Bento

This guy's been around since the beginnings of the AOL CoSA forum. He does tons of work for Disney, etc. - check the client list. I can't say that I understand it, but whatever, he's got a nice house.

Guest govinda

I was coming back to take back my post, but I'll live with it. That was me being the asshole. It is what it is and more power to him.

Guest pauloblob

I just did not like it. He may work in this are since first mac 128k was invented...

;)

Guest Sao_Bento
I just did not like it. He may work in this are since first mac 128k was invented...

;)

37610[/snapback]

No doubt, experience does not necessarily translate to creativity. My point was that maybe we take this stuff a little too seriously. Here's a guy who's primarily a video editor, running a one man shop and making a good living. He's probably never even heard of Brand New School or Buck and probably doesn't care.

Guest spidex

sitting around talking shit about a man who probably earns a shit load more than me is just sad.

who is happier ? me making changes ? or clocking the bank, chilling like a villian.

Guest thomwill
I had a conversation with nhowe last night and we talked about something that I think applies here.  When people have been in the industry a long time, like Rob Birnholz, they usually have a bread and butter base of a couple clients who bring them constant work and are happy with the product they receive in return.  Artists like that may have no desire to be on the newest hottest design trend, and they have no need - their clients don't expect it and are happy without it.  Rob is likely very happy with where is career is and doesn't want to take over the world - probably gets alot more sleep then those of us who do  :)

37576[/snapback]

good call chris. no doubt we'll all be at there some point in our careers. i don't want to be 50 and working the hours i do now.

Edited by thomwill

Guest 3rdMARTINI

zacids_pick.jpg

Sorry I'm late with the graphic. :)

Seriously though, Rob has been around for a long time and is a regular contributor to the AEList at media-motion.tv. I met him a few years ago at NAB. Nice guy... like everyone says, he's got his built-in clientele that keeps him rolling comfortably and has no need to be a trendwhore.

I liken him to the Meyers... he's among the best in knowing AE inside and out, but stylistically his work is about 7 years stale.

He's got more money than me though, I'll guarantee that.

Guest atslopes

trendwhore 50,000

rob+ 100,000

-----------------------------------

= 150,000 -- << i want to be like this guy but how?!!

Hmm, what a dilemma :blink:

thats weird is it about style or about the money.

Guest C-FU

Its about relationships. KInda like if you go to a mom and pops store rather than longs drugs.

Guest chriskelley
Its about relationships.

37696[/snapback]

Yep, hit nail on the head. After a couple years in L.A. this becomes apparent in all aspects - it's such a pain in the ass to have to search out and find good quality services in any field, and although I'm on the 'supplier' end of our industry, it's easy to see how someone would much prefer using somebody they know, that knows them, who they are comfortable with. Those are the kind of clients that will pay your bills and put food on your table for many many years.

Guest scottgfx

After having worked a year in Orlando I can say this; Everyone has worked for the Mouse at one time or another. I did a couple of freelance projects that had something to do with the then new Disney cruise ship when I was there.

Egads! That was over 7 years ago! That's about the same amount of time since I last worked on my reel.

I'm working on it, but when I do post it here, I expect to be slammed down with a force unprecedented in these parts.--- What am I saying? I ain't no ZACID!

Guest parallax

Makes me feel like wearing a bowler hat, and slapping my wife in the face with the morning paper.

Guest Tread

despite the fact that he's been around for ages, and has his faitful clients, his work still blows. I consider this stuff my artform. To him it's just business. To him it's just a job. He can have that, but I'm not into it. Who knows, maybe one day I will burn out and get stuck in a style that's 7 years old. Eh, hope not though.

Guest atslopes
despite the fact that he's been around for ages, and has his faitful clients, his work still blows. I consider this stuff my artform. To him it's just business. To him it's just a job. He can have that, but I'm not into it. Who knows, maybe one day I will burn out and get stuck in a style that's 7 years old. Eh, hope not though.

37781[/snapback]

Wow thats cold man. How do u know "To him it's just business. To him it's just a job." Why do u know him personally. Look at hillman curtis dude was the man back in 2000 people say his style has fallen a little flat. --who gives a crap, his rich and still is succesful.

You also said "I consider this stuff my artform" what happens in 2010 whatever were doing now will be considered soooooooo mid 2000's/paint drips, deer, graffiti, arrows growing trees, probaly wont last another 3 more years.

But yeah tread your work rocks--im a big fan of yours, but maybe this dude was the man 10 years ago, go easy on him, its like jerry rice in the nfl --dude was the man back in the day, just because hes old doesnt mean he sucks.

Nobody i repeat nobody stays on top forever. Not even the great ones, someday a new generation will come and say "Glad i wasnt a trendwhore in the mid 2000's, holographic motion graphics rocks" --someday :D:D:D:D

Edited by atslopes

Guest milksac

:D:D:D

Yeah Tread the Museum of Fine Arts is holding a place for you in the Hall of Fame.

Are you one of those people that strings out the would artist when they describe themselves?

You know the type, "I'm an Aaaaaaaarrrrrrtist."

Geez

Give us a break.

Guest Tread

yeah man, that's me... 'the aaaaaarrrrrtist.' I never tooted my own horn, so don't try to make it out that I did. I was voicing my opinion.

I'll quote myself, 'Who knows, maybe one day I will burn out and get stuck in a style that's 7 years old. Eh, hope not though.'

I acknowledge the fact that people burn out, get comfortable and fall behind. Doesn't mean the work is good. That's my opinion. Good design is good design, and stands the test of time. This stuff doesn't. It's freakin extruded type, all shiney.

YOU give me a break.