Sign in to follow this  
Guest mistahle

good mo. gfx firms/reels that use mainly AE on PC?

Guest mistahle

"bullshit" is used out of context. Hey, if you as a site administrator can get that emotionally attached to a stupid little "who uses what," just kidding, font usage, then hey, I should take a little liberty myself. :P

Font usage and design is no bull. How many Helveticas do you know are in existence from diff. foundries? Are they all the same? No. Then, which one is the real deal? The same question applies to numerous other popular fonts (true to PC & Mac, more true on PC just because of economics: type foundries make most of their money off the printing industry, there's no need to invest a whole lot of time and money into something that you know everybody else has. And just like how subjective design is, typographers take some liberty, or lack of talent, when it comes to digitizing classic fonts) Eventually, this will not be the case any more, but for now, it's one of the reasons that I can think of. But whatever.

Arial as optimized Helv.? Helvetica is probadly the most readable font up to date no matter where you use. It's about care. They could have easily optimized Helvetica instead coming up with a mutated version. They do now, after the damage has already settled in. The most important pieces of communications on earth are not handled by famous designers but by a bunch o secretaries using powerpoint. But again, whatever.

Honestly though, I would love nothing more than seeing great works being done despite platform. Hopefully, I will find more and more.

Guest igorschmigor
I would love nothing more than seeing great works being done despite platform

who says you aren't already? What makes you think it's all done on Mac's?

Arial as optimized Helv.?

I said optimized for screen. Especially for smaller sizes. You see, when a letter is just 10 or even 8 Pixels at height, it doesn't have much in common with the printed version. Therefore the Arial has left out small details such as the "foot" of the letter a, the x-height is heigher, the letters are more open and again the hinting has been perfectionized. But why do i have to tell you all this, you're talking like you're an expert. However, all this improves readability on monitors a lot, especially at "browser-typical" display-sizes, and makes a big difference when anti-aliasing is turned off.

How many Helveticas do you know are in existence from diff. foundries?

I don't care if you talk about Linotype or Adobe, the Helvetica is not the Garamond and the differences for Helvetica are minimalistic between the big companies.

Guest mistahle

look, obviously we are going in circles here.

I said " I would love nothing more than seeing great works being done despite platform." but also "Hopefully, I will find MORE and more." not nothing at all. And besides, I realized that whatever I searched and came up with regarding Mac/Pc does not represent EVERYTHING. hence, the quest for real examples.

I did say "Arial as optimized Helv.?" but I also said "Helvetica is probadly the most readable font up to date no matter WHERE you use." It's a matter of opinion how you see Arial. I happen to disagree with chopping off details to improve legibility, esp. at 8 or 10 point size. If they honestly tried to optimize Helvetica for the screen, it would not have been called Arial in the first place. That does not mean that I don't agree with you on improving certain typefaces for screen usage, however.

I don't care if you talk about Linotype or Adobe, the Helvetica is not the Garamond and the differences for Helvetica are minimalistic between the big companies.

it's only one example. Type design is not the only reason. Helvetica is not the only cause. How minimalistic changes/alterations are is matter of opinion. And I definitely do not have what it takes to be a type expert.

Guest parallax

There is nothing much to agree about, when you talk about legibility of fonts.

They're are optimized because of the physical limitations of the medium, not because it was their taste.

As far as the platform based design theory, today it is a load of BS. Running the same apps, both platforms will yield identical results.

Guest igorschmigor

Don't forget to check out my latest thread in the lounge called "Bush in 30 seconds". Don't miss the link, it's great.

Guest vinteg

I'm not going to talk about the font issue, but I want to focus more on the original topic.

It's a basic fact that if you're serious about 3D, go to a PC. If you're serious about 2D, go for a Mac. That's how society and artists view it. You can defend it or deny it all you want. I've been to design houses and many, but not all, of them use Macs for graphics. In CG houses, it's only PCs for the pure render power.

I use Final Cut Pro, Photoshop and Illustrator on a Mac and Maya on a PC. I also use AE on a PC and a Mac on a daily basis. If you visit designinmotion.com and read the press releases, many of them list the programs that they use as well as the hardware. Many of them are Macs.

There a sudtle little differences between the Mac and PC version of AE. In the PC version for example, the background is covered in a flat gray. The mac on the other hand, are just floating boxes into the gray background covering up the entire desktop. This allows you to see images or other things you might want to see on the desktop.

Another reason why there's more Macs with AE is because the print is dominated by Macs. This includes the use of Illustrator and Photoshop. These programs are esstenial for AE. It's all integrated. You're transiting from static 2D to moving 2D and you want naturally that everything you work on to be from one box. It's a natural extension I guess.

Guest igorschmigor

that was a nice roundup. But i didn't understand the last part. What's wrong with using Photoshop and Illustrator with AfterEffects on a PC? I mean everybody uses Photoshop anyway, wether they come from the print business or not. Edit: forget that, i think i misunderstood you. I realize that you're not saying that anything is wrong with it, but rather saying what firemind said with his words: "The entire print industry still runs on mac, there you have it. Most motion gfx designers come from either of these places. There's no objective reason other than habit." Right?

Designinmotion.com is also a good place to look for job offers. Many of the offers require experience with PCs. But then again most of the offers are for 3D-Animators and Modellers.

Guest igorschmigor

P.S.: i guess they don't really care that much about the experience with an OS, you can easily get accustomed to both, Mac and Windows. They'll rather teach a good Artist how to use an OS, than teach art to someone who's good with the OS they use. And how much time do we spend fidling with system settings and all that anyway? Not that much. As soon as you opened your app you'll feel at home. Only remember to right-click on Windows and control-click on Mac.

Guest vinteg

Yeah, I basically just repeated what firemind said. There's nothing wrong with AE on PC. I use AE on PC more than a Mac, but only because my PC is at work and my Mac is at home. I use a two-button mouse with the mac, so there isn't too many differences once you're in the application itself.

Also a lot of desktop video editors are Macs. If you use Premiere, you seriously will get laughed at by the Videography industry. Motion graphics is usually the sweetening of video. Motion design is basically design meets video, which are both Mac dominated.

What is weird though is that with my six month Dell, I have to quit every thirty minutes or so, because AE just slows down to a crawl. On my Mac I don't have that problem, and its the same amout of ram and it's 2 years older.

I prefer Macs but it's an OS and Hardware related reason, not an AE reason.

Guest André Leroux

Speaking of 3D, I wonder how well Maya would operate on a G5.

Discreet had a booth over at the Macworld convention in San Francisco & the Combustion 3 demonstrators where blown away by how fast it operated on the G5. Good news for all combustion users (not many) like me. :)

Guest Sao_Bento

I tried so hard to be excited by the combustion demos at Macworld, but I just couldn't catch the vibe. There are a lot of cool things about it, but I just didn't see the "AE killer". I started to buy it, but lost enthusiasm and decided that a Final Scratch rig might be a better waste of money.

http://www.finalscratch.com/fs4/load.asp?d...is_FS&sub=start

A question to combustion users - does combustion have volumeteric atmosphere effects like fog? Does the node workflow really work or is it just for show, like the one in AE?

Guest Deano Krakel

I'm going to agree with Firemind on this one.

The computer really is just a tool no matter what platform you use.

It really is bullshit to believe one OS system is better than the other or

executes different applications better.

True, apps. like 3DSmax and Maya are native to a PC enviorment but that fact goes without saying. AfterFX and alot of other design tools are native to Mac. This has little to no effect on the end result of your original vision or choice of career. The platform does not make the artist.

The G5 for an example is based on a combination of Mac and PC technology. Manufactures of personal computers have long had the idea

that in the near future (20 years or so) that there really won't be a "PC or Mac"

All systems will be based on teraheart (spelling?) technology or multi- sided crystal laser projections inside of the cpu. thus allowing unlimited

storage and processor power.

But we all know theres a great deal of money to made by releasing small bits of technology over an extended period of time.

:idea:

Guest mistahle

Mac or PC....I don't care. This is not about what's better than what. It is bullshit if platform does matter. I hope one day none of this matters. I am biased. I just freeze up when I try to work any Adobe program on the PC. Pretty well brainwashed, I guess. I know several people I talked to have the same problem. What is also weird though is that I have the exact same problem with Mac when it comes to 3D. I hate doing it on Mac. I guess I brainwashed myself. Anyway, it's only an observation about PC and Mac.

If what you said about future-tech is true. Boy, I can't wait. 'Cuz I'm pretty damn tired of how expensive Mac products are.

Guest renascent

i use a pc, while working at tronic they used pc's while working at heavy they bought me a pc (others were on mac), while working at postpanic they got me a pc (others were on mac)....

guess what, 3ds max is only for pc...

is AFX any different on a Mac or PC?

nope. (yeah sure shortcut keys...)

does it matter...?

nope.

what to os. to run?

win2k babyyyyy ;) hasnt crashed AFX like ever since im using it...

Guest parallax

Renascent,

quite off-topic, but how did working for post-panic work out for you?

I'm looking for an internship, and i happened to stumble across a job opening at PostPanic.

Mind sharing some work experience, and/or what the company is like?

Guest firemind

If you're looking for amsterdam places, check out crabsalad as well, they might be open to a free slave --err intern.

Now, what companies in the rotterdam area are hiring motion ppl? ;-)

Guest parallax

Man, i can't believe the motion graphics industry is near to non-existant in Holland. Pretty sad.

I know of a few more companies, but they have these "we only hire HKU people" policies.

If anyone has a room to rent in Amsterdam/Utrecht, i'll be glad to hear from you. Need...to.get..out...of...Twente.....

Guest jayse

Helvetica... yah - it once was in its prime...

But now... it's all about the Verdana

At least for screenz - which it was designed specifically for.

Or perhaps a lil ITC Franklin Gothic

I've worked extensively with both Mac and PC. Love 'em both dearly. Two entirely different creatures - yet ur abilities on them are the same.

Crashing? Well - if you don't know how to optimize ur system - i guess that would happen.

Just create - the brand of ur paint brush matters less than the art in ur soul.

// jayse << pc and mac luvR