Sign in to follow this  
Guest F to the Soong

Hurricane Katrina

Guest igorschmigor

igor to google: "mayday, mayday, i need backup"

google to igor: "hold on, backup is comming. ... Alright, here it is:"

http://english.epochtimes.com/news/5-1-3/25430.html

Thieves, rapists, kidnappers and hoaxers are preying on tsunami survivors and families of victims in Asian refugee camps and hospitals and in the home countries of European tourists hit by the wave.

even worse: pedophiles travel to the areas hit by disasters to take advantage of the situation:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/asia-tsunami...l?oneclick=true

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest clintvideo
... I don't see why people find criticizing the government wrong. It's your job to criticize the government, nay, it's your duty.

42056[/snapback]

Unless you did it between 1992 and 2000, in which case you were a hatemonger or attack dog.

Cf

Guest clintvideo
I was talking about the looting. There is no excuse to firing at people, unless it's self defense. But that's what you get in a state where guns are available to everyone, even Wal Mart sells them. And yes, i do believe any state on this whole wide world would turn into true anarchy when you mix poverty, wealth, guns and no police. What do you expect?

42068[/snapback]

Yeah, I hear the street gangs were throwing lawn darts at each other before they got the chance to break into a WalMart and loot the gun department. Oh crap, I said gangs...does that mean I'm a racist? I said loot...does THAT mean I'm a racist?

Guns aren't *legally* available to everyone. I've read that in many cases, the police entered stores that sold guns and grabbed the guns and/or ammo to keep them from falling into the wrong hands. Can't get 'em all, but at least it happened.

By the way, in case this takes some sort of wacky lefty anti-gun tangent: I'm sure there are some among us here at mograph.net that do any sort of illegal drug. Laws don't prevent you from getting it. Only the people who obey the law don't have drugs. The same would apply to guns. If you don't believe that, then you've hugged too many trees or inhaled too much product.

Cf

Guest pixelthief

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9287434/page/2/

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1103581,00.html

...and I think both mags let Bush off a little too easy. But what else can you expect from Time and Newsweek.

Don't believe everything you read about the looting. A little truth sprinkled with a generous helping of bullshit hype. There's a reason you hear more about the looting on Fox News than the casualties: they're trying to de-humanize the victims to soften the political fallout with their base.

We all know Repubs only care about their base, which, unfortunately for a lot of dead Americans, doesn't include black people.

Shit, FEMA was into Pensacola like gangbusters after Ivan last year. Suprise, suprise, mostly white Bush voters down in that corner of FLA. Of course, they realized that a inadequete response in Florida could have cost Bush the state and therefore the election.

I'm back in Alabama this week on a job, and it's going to be damned hard not to yank the first person I see with a 'W' sticker outta their car and knock a few teeth out. This is their fault for supporting an obvious halfwit elitist for president just because they thought he was a Christian and would protect them. I think that it is now an undeniable, demonstrable fact that both of these contentions are in fact totally false.

Oh, and fellow Los Angeleans will love this:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Investigation/st...=1115448&page=1

Rather than cross our fingers and hope this idiot protects us, California should secede and take half of the US economy with it. Maybe then we'll get as much homeland security money per capita as Wyoming. Maybe then we'll have someone with some brains watching our backs.

Edit: I don't wanna overhype the tape, tho. The Bushies have a history of releasing these when their numbers are low. And Bush's approval rating is at 38% right now. That's lower Nixon during Watergate, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by pixelthief

Guest igorschmigor
Yeah, I hear the street gangs were throwing lawn darts at each other before they got the chance to break into a WalMart and loot the gun department.  Oh crap, I said gangs...does that mean I'm a racist?  I said loot...does THAT mean I'm a racist?

Guns aren't *legally* available to everyone.  I've read that in many cases, the police entered stores that sold guns and grabbed the guns and/or ammo to keep them from falling into the wrong hands.  Can't get 'em all, but at least it happened.

By the way, in case this takes some sort of wacky lefty anti-gun tangent:  I'm sure there are some among us here at mograph.net that do any sort of illegal drug.  Laws don't prevent you from getting it.  Only the people who obey the law don't have drugs.  The same would apply to guns.  If you don't believe that, then you've hugged too many trees or inhaled too much product.

Cf

42080[/snapback]

I said loot too, that's okay. But i wonder how you know that the guns got stolen by gang members who already had guns. Oh yes, most were black, so they MUST be gangsters, and they MUST have been shooting at each other all their life. Sorry Clint, but this does make you sound racist.

And i can't even listen to this "guns don't kill people. People kill people" type of bullshit. The easier it is to get guns, the more people will have them. The more people have them, the bigger the problem in times of anarchy. I don't mind people sitting in their flooded homes smoking a joint ot two.

Guest atslopes
luckovich2005091116281.gif

42109[/snapback]

Horrific! I heard someone that just got out of the superdome call the Dome packing a "modern day stationary slave ship, something you only see in you worst nightmare" :angry::angry:

Guest clintvideo
I said loot too, that's okay. But i wonder how you know that the guns got stolen by gang members who already had guns. Oh yes, most were black, so they MUST be gangsters, and they MUST have been shooting at each other all their life. Sorry Clint, but this does make you sound racist.

Well, see, that's where the proverbial "chip on the shoulder" comes in. I never said black. But you can't say "gang" with people shitting themselves because someone *might* connect that term with "people of color."

And i can't even listen to this "guns don't kill people. People kill people" type of bullshit. The easier it is to get guns, the more people will have them. The more people have them, the bigger the problem in times of anarchy. I don't mind people sitting in their flooded homes smoking a joint ot two.

42107[/snapback]

The analogy I was making: when drugs are illegal, only lawbreakers have drugs. When guns are illegal, only black gang members have guns. Oh wait, no, that's just what you'll accuse me of posting. I'm really saying that only lawbreakers will have guns. That'll work out great for the average citizen in times of anarchy, for sure.

Cf

Guest igorschmigor

Oh, Mister Innocent, of course you didn't assume that they were street gangs because of their skin colour, you thought of street gangs because ... err, yes, why actually? When did the term "street gangs" jump into your mind?

Guest igorschmigor
The analogy I was making:  when drugs are illegal, only lawbreakers have drugs.  When guns are illegal, only [...] gang members have guns.  [...].  I'm really saying that only lawbreakers will have guns.  That'll work out great for the average citizen in times of anarchy, for sure.

42115[/snapback]

I feel much safer here in germany where i know that hardly anybody has a gun.

You see, beside criminals and average citizen there are also "potential" criminals. Everybody who looses his temper could become a criminal. Without a gun he'll just break my knows if he looses it. With a gun the "average citizen" might shoot me over bullshit. When food is short and the general mood is very bad then the armed nextdoor neighbour might be just as dangerous as a hardcore criminal. Roadragemania.

Read the news. Look at some of the stories. The prisons are filled with "average citizen" who were considered harmless people until they just happened to have a bad day and a gun.

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest Scorch

Guns are bad for the simple reason that they are designed to kill, end of story, there really isn't any argument to be had here is there.

Guest Sao_Bento
Guns are bad for the simple reason that they are designed to kill, end of story, there really isn't any argument to be had here is there.

42141[/snapback]

The argument arises when you try to figure out how to solve the problem. If you can't even keep track of who's a criminal (something like 75% of the registered pedophiles in California are unaccounted for, I think the number dips to around 55% for felons in general), how are you going to take their guns away? If you can't take the guns away from the people who are most likely to use them against the general public, then what? Chris Rock's idea of making the ammo insanely expensive is actually not totally unreasonable, but as long as it exists at all, it can be stolen, and the problem continues. If you stopped producing weapons and ammo today, you'd have to wait hundreds of years before you'd see the results (for the weapons currently in circulation to age enough to stop functioning, or the ammo supply to age adequately enough to be unreliable).

Guest Scorch

I think the answer is don't make them legal in the first place. Oh, hang on, we already did that here, excellent.

Guest Sao_Bento
I think the answer is don't make them legal in the first place. Oh, hang on, we already did that here, excellent.

42160[/snapback]

Right, so now what? Invent a time machine? Unfortunately, most of the time, the ideallic answers don't work so well when they're forced to conform to reality. it's always easy to point out what's wrong (as mographers should know all to well).

Guest Scorch
Right, so now what? Invent a time machine? Unfortunately, most of the time, the ideallic answers don't work so well when they're forced to conform to reality. it's always easy to point out what's wrong (as mographers should know all to well).

42161[/snapback]

my flippancy knows no bounds, unfortunately I don't think there is an answer to America's gun problem that won't take decades to implement

Guest govinda
Still no news from Vectorsnob.

42200[/snapback]

Last week I google mapped his street address from his website and he's in Baton Rouge, which wasn't hit like NO. Palazzo was also down there, no?

Guest igorschmigor

Oh good, he should be fine then. Maybe he's busy helping people? I read that Baton Rouge has taken 200,000 people from New Orleans and the surrounding area.

Guest govinda

Urband legend is starting to shake loose from the fact-comb:

"We don't have any substantiated rapes," New Orleans Police superintendent Edwin Compass

said yesterday, according to the Guardian. "We will investigate if the individuals come forward."

This is me saying, I told you so. But we still had to read people making dumb conclusions based on bullshit rumors.

Guest fredcamino
Oh good, he should be fine then. Maybe he's busy helping people? I read that Baton Rouge has taken 200,000 people from New Orleans and the surrounding area.

42242[/snapback]

he's alive. and helping the world of motion graphics.

Guest igorschmigor
he's alive.  and helping the world of motion graphics.

42401[/snapback]

Ah! Even better. Just why didn't he tell us?

Guest pixelthief

Bush: "I take responsibility".

Are these just words, or will he resign? What does taking responsibilty mean when this many people have died?

Meanwhile, Senate Republicans squashed the effort to launch an independent investigation into what went wrong with the federal response to Katrina. Kinda gives you flashbacks to when they tried everything under the sun to prevent an independent 9/11 investigation. What are they trying to hide? Every single Republican voted against the investigation, and every Democrat for it.

Hmmm, if the Bush administration isn't guilty of negligence, then why are they stonewalling an investigation?

Our newly contrite president will address the nation from NOLA tonight... let's hope he doesn't need a bathroom break mid-speech. Because that would look bad.

Guest clintvideo

Makes ya wonder when the black mayor or the Democrat governor or legislative representatives are gonna own up to it too? I'd love to see an investigation into this. Why there was such gross inaction on the part of the local and state government. Sadly, I don't expect that will ever happen. "Bush doesn't care about black people" is so too convenient a distraction from the real failures. Can't risk a crack in the "Democrats are the only ones who look out for black people" fallacy.

Although I have to declare shenanigans on the appointment of that Mike Brown guy to head FEMA. But BS appointments happen in both parties.

Cf