Sign in to follow this  
Guest F to the Soong

Hurricane Katrina

Guest atslopes
Makes ya wonder when the black mayor or the Democrat governor or legislative representatives are gonna own up to it too?  I'd love to see an investigation into this.  Why there was such gross inaction on the part of the local and state government.  Sadly, I don't expect that will ever happen.  "Bush doesn't care about black people" is so too convenient a distraction from the real failures.  Can't risk a crack in the "Democrats are the only ones who look out for black people" fallacy.

Although I have to declare shenanigans on the appointment of that Mike Brown guy to head FEMA.  But BS appointments happen in both parties.

Cf

42498[/snapback]

I think you have fox news syndrome. Better see a doctor quick, it might be contagious.

Guest igorschmigor

Republicans, democrats, i don't care. But i really would like to know what Bush meant when he said "I take responsibility". Does he realize what this means?

Guest pixelthief

Fortunately, I don't think idiocy is contagious.

I think you have fox news syndrome. Better see a doctor quick, it might be contagious.

42499[/snapback]

Guest clintvideo
Republicans, democrats, i don't care. But i really would like to know what Bush meant when he said "I take responsibility". Does he realize what this means?

42505[/snapback]

I think it's like when Captain Kirk took responsibility for the actions of his crew members in Star Trek VI: The Apology. As captain of the ship, the buck has to stop somewhere.

Cf

Guest ai

Jeez igor that's beautiful

can you post the album they were taken of?

[ok nevermind :http://photobucket.com/albums/a127/LauraBugz/? ]

i wonder where the originals are from.

Edited by ai

Guest govinda

What fucking country do I live in? Late 60s China?

From Brian Williams of NBC, edited for ADHD reasons:

"The talk of the New Orleans warehouse district last night: there was rejoicing...when the power came back on for blocks on end. The mini-mart, long ago cleaned out by looters, was nonetheless bathed in light...The [Presidential] motorcade route through the district was partially lit no more than 30 minutes before [bush] drove through. And yet last night, no more than an hour after the President departed, the lights went out. The entire area was plunged into total darkness again, to audible groans. It's enough to make some of the folks here who witnessed it... jump to certain conclusions."

Somewhere the guy who set up Chairman Mao's tours of the countryside is smiling down at the Bush handlers.

Guest igorschmigor
Jeez igor that's beautiful

can you post the album they were taken of?

[ok nevermind :http://photobucket.com/albums/a127/LauraBugz/? ]

i wonder where the originals are from.

42516[/snapback]

Sorry, i have to apologize, i just found out that these photos do NOT show Katrina. I found them on: http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/index.php...ic=63656&st=680

BUT:

a few posts later came a link to this site:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/storm.asp

The photos show various storms taken by storm chasers.

Guest igorschmigor

New%20Rule.jpg

(yes, clint, i know, it's not all just Bush's fault - but i still think it's funny)

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest clintvideo
preach govinga ;  rascists, Anything to keep the black man down, preach

bush "clapped" by mos def

for all you hiphop heads this one is strickly for the streets, nah mean

Mos Def Dis track :D  :D

wow listen to this dumb statment

Days later, the president's mother Barbara Bush gave her own perspective on the poor, black people. During a press tour of the Houston Astrodome, the elder Mrs. Bush mockingly suggested the evacuees had it better camped out in the Houston Astrodome than back at their own worthless lives back in New Orleans. ''What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," mama Bush said. "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them..." Bush told American Public Media's "Marketplace" program.

42044[/snapback]

Ya know, something I've been wondering about lately...and am just bored enough to go back and ask now. Who in the heck gave black people exclusive license to cry racism? If I were of asian, arab, or hispanic descent I'd be more than a little put out. Especially in this situation; I mean, if 70% of the population is black, wouldn't it make sense that pointing a camera in any direction would find a bunch of black people? The horribly inept mayor is black...does that earn him a pass?

Isn't it conceivable that perhaps there people of other ethnic origins involved in this thing? If they're not black enough to have Jesse Jackson or some other career windbag claiming their victimization, they get left by the wayside. How hypocritical.

Cf

Guest ai
Ya know, something I've been wondering about lately...and am just bored enough to go back and ask now.  Who in the heck gave black people exclusive license to cry racism?  If I were of asian, arab, or hispanic descent I'd be more than a little put out.  Especially in this situation; I mean, if 70% of the population is black, wouldn't it make sense that pointing a camera in any direction would find a bunch of black people?  The horribly inept mayor is black...does that earn him a pass?

Isn't it conceivable that perhaps there people of other ethnic origins involved in this thing?  If they're not black enough to have Jesse Jackson or some other career windbag claiming their victimization, they get left by the wayside.  How hypocritical.

Cf

42729[/snapback]

Slipping slope. I don't where you want to go but i have a bad feeling about this.

Guest clintvideo
Slipping slope. I don't where you want to go but i have a bad feeling about this.

42734[/snapback]

I really don't have a destination in mind. It just occurred to me, and has been on my mind lately. I'd *love* to have a chance to pose that question publicly to a "Reverend" Jackson or Sharpton or some other high-dollar mouthpiece. Bill Cosby's the only one who's said anything with any common sense lately pertaining to the black community, and they've gone after him with a big stick.

I live in a very culturally NON-diverse region. But the area in which I live is growing quite quickly because of the quality of life. For instance, there were *two* black children in the twin cities area here when I was in high school, and they'd been adopted by a white family. But around here people go out of their way to demonstrate that they're not prejudiced. And I don't mean any of that politically-correct BS either. Just genuine kindness.

So, as a guy who's grown up in a place without all that tension, I'd like to think I have some objectivity in the matter. So what if I'm a white guy, up here we don't think in terms like that. I am well aware that racism has existed forever, but it's not like reverse-racism is going to bring us back to some zero point. Neither will donning a VICTIM t-shirt and grabbing every microphone you can get your hands on. Start the healing already.

The Native American community, with whom we *are* somewhat familar up here, has a similar issue. They keep dwelling on the injustices performed upon them by the United States instead of getting about the business of preserving their heritage and preventing their people from dying a welfare-induced cultural extinction. But they just can NOT seem to get the ball rolling as far as accepting the past and healing towards the future. So they wallow in a pool of self-pity while their culture spirals.

But anyway...my point was simply the question. Why is it that only black people get to cry racism? Seriously, if I was some other non-white ethnicity, I'd be pretty ticked off.

Cf

Guest amydot

(1) i agree that this is a slipping slope and we should walk very carefully.

(2) if you have grown up in a place with no racism your whole life, count yourself fortunate. i, on the other hand, grew up in louisiana in a city where there is still an active ku klux klan (the meetings took place in my own neighborhood). there is one road where all the blacks live, and no one goes to that road and they all know that they can never move from that road and still live in the same city. if they did move, they'd pretty much have to go to either baton rouge or new orleans. even in baton rouge, the kids technically all go to the same schools but there is still severe segregation in that all the whites live in the same neighborhoods, all the blacks live in the same neighborhood, and all the kids go to school with kids from THEIR neighborhood. if you're a white person who happened to get marked into one of the "black" schools, you go to private school.

in mobile (where i currently live), we just elected our first black mayor and it has been the only thing that anyone can talk about. not his viewpoints, not his political stance, but just "can you believe we elected a black mayor?".

each generation here in the south is getting better. my parents' generation is not NEARLY as bad as my grandparents', and my generation is not NEARLY as bad as my own parents' generation. but the reason it's still an issue is just that: because it is still an issue. and the reasons you hear about the predjudice primarily from blacks and not other minorities is: (1) it still exists most prominently; (2) they are the majority within the minority (i think), so of course their voices are going to be the loudest.

Guest amydot

A friend of mine went to Biloxi yesterday (her husband is a military man) and brought back these pics. Knowing the terrain as well as I do, it still really rattles me.

Biloxi

Guest parallax

But anyway...my point was simply the question.  Why is it that only black people get to cry racism?  Seriously, if I was some other non-white ethnicity, I'd be pretty ticked off. 

Why? Because it's still there. and calling a black man an African American instead of just plain 'American' sure isn't helping. Americans don't even exist, except for a handfull of 'native americans'. The rest is import. The high and mighty attitude of 'white americans' (euro folk) must be quite annoying sometimes.

Guest atslopes

"I live in a very culturally NON-diverse region"-- wow?!!! : :blink: --That didnt surprise me :D

For a second there i though it was the fox news. :D

Clint are u serious?!

"Why is it that only black people get to cry racism? Seriously, if I was some other non-white ethnicity, I'd be pretty ticked off" --what ?! dude i feel sorry for u that made no sense. :blink:

BTW. This thread is officially old its starting to turn into a race war. :(

42831[/snapback]

I agree with sermon and nextseason.

Edited by atslopes

Guest nextseason
clint's posts are making me really uncomfortable  :unsure:

42817[/snapback]

I agree Sermon, bigotry not only makes me uncomfortable but it makes me angry.

Guest fredcamino

seriously though... which race is better?

i think asians are. i think the fact that they have the least hair of all the races prove that they are the most evolved. of course, my race, whatever that is, is pretty hairy, so that must make me and my race (whatever that is) the least evolved... but does that make me the worst race? as politcally incorrect as it may be, i'd venture to say "yes". but then again there is the concepet of "hybrid vigor" that states mixed breeds are better than pure breeds, evolutionarily. but all that hair! and why am i so bad at math. i think asians will win the race war eventually.

what do you think the best race is?

Edited by fredcamino