Sign in to follow this  
Guest F to the Soong

Hurricane Katrina

Guest scottgfx
i love how now the media is like "well that wasn't THAT bad" just because like everybody wasnt torn to pieces in the first 5 minutes

41034[/snapback]

Interesting to see meteorologists on two different cable networks, basicly tell the anchors to shut up and listen. The folksy chit-chat has no place in the coverage of an impending disaster.

What's also sad, the political sides have already been drawn. I just saw this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-ken...he-_b_6396.html

Neither the time nor the place.

Guest ADROK

been looking at the pictures here in my dark bay and filled with awe and dred.

the local news in LA has not coverd it at all- so didnt really know the scope of whats going on down there untill i started diggin around on the internet- the coverage is way too lame and filled with buzz words like " and nothing is where it should be"

I used to write news peices and it makes me sick everytime i hear one.. especially since this is such a huge disaster.....

I would be so pissed right now if i was going through that..... I would huddle up and stay put..

i know of AMYDOT and i too hope she is safe...

ADROK

Guest igorschmigor
What's also sad, the political sides have already been drawn. I just saw this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-ken...he-_b_6396.html

Neither the time nor the place.

41051[/snapback]

Anything that will make politicians reconsider their environmental policy is good. Who knows, maybe the worldwide increase of natural disasters really is caused by us humans. Snowstorms, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis ... they've always existed but it seems to happen more frequently and stronger than ever before.

The Kyoto-protocol could not have stopped Katrina, but it would have been a step in the right direction.

Guest igorschmigor

The problem is that one can never tell to what degree it is natural. Even the experts differ in their opinions.

Like it says in your article:

"Global warming may eventually intensify hurricanes somewhat"

and

"Kerry A. Emanuel, a hurricane expert at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, wrote that global warming might have already had some effect."

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest milksac
i love how now the media is like "well that wasn't THAT bad" just because like everybody wasnt torn to pieces in the first 5 minutes

I've watched the major networks over the last few days and that's not the impression I have of the reporting. The networks reported on the collapse of an apartment building in Biloxi that killed 30. They showed many scenes of entire neighborhoods razed, reminiscent of Andrew. They continue to report on the flooding in the city of New Orleans. Tens of thousands of people will need to be rescued from New Orleans as the sub sea level city fills with water from lake Ponchatrain.

The problem is that one can never tell to what degree it is natural.

Global warming aside the problem is not natural. The problem is a levee system designed by the Army Corps of engineers that has failed. Attempts to plug the levee have failed or made the problem worse. The people of New Orleans have talked about the 'big one' for years, they accepted the fact that they lived below sea level and were aware of the potential consequence of a levee break. The big one has finally arrived and it's tragic. The thousands that are trapped are starting to run out of food and water. The water that fills the city is highly contaminated. There is one road remaining to gain access into and out of New Orleans right now. Trying to get all those people out before even more deaths occur is going to be a monumental task.

I'm not trying to diminish the the damage in Mississippi or Alabama. All I'm trying to say is that what's happening in New Orleans isn't over. It will most likely get worse before it get's better even though the hurricane is long gone. Having political discussions regarding global warming is just plain ignorant at this point. The concern should be focused on the lives of the thousands of people trapped in the rising flood water of New Orleans.

Guest Carter

Never seen the kind of post disaster disaray.

Where's the LA national guard? Oh that's right. They're in the

middle east.

Guest clintvideo
Unbelieveable!!!

Over 50 people are dead and the numbers will continue to rise.

And you're happy to have a few days of warm rainy weather?

Clintvideo - the cold you're feeling is coming from within.

40966[/snapback]

I haven't actually seen any of the storm coverage. I don't have a TV in my workspace at our new location and the last thing I want to do when I go home is stare at more monitors. I was simply making an observation. Being away from TV on our honeymoon was so refreshing I haven't gone back. Thus I've been in the dark on the severity of the storm.

Cf

Guest nutrition_facts

this is terrible, saw the flooding on the news. one thing that came to mind were crocodiles and such.... aren't there a lot of them in that region?

Guest Tread

so here in GA, the supply of gas has been cut. Our gas prices are expected to rise to about $4.50 a gallon.

eek. Good thing I don't have a gas guzzler. Long live the honda.

Guest PlayerHater

Ted, lets get a siphon and make some loot.

The news says theres 7-10 days supply of gas in ATL so dont believe the hype.

Edited by PlayerHater

Guest Sao_Bento

I'm just waiting for the Xbox game based on the event - dudes with iced out platinum/gold grills shooting at each other from john boats. I expect Juvenile will do the soundtrack as a comeback attempt.

Guest ai

I've red such horrible things in the newspaper (rapes, weapons supplies stolen at walmart, people shooting at random and NO police in the streets) and all you care is gas and making jokes. wtf. i'm shocked.

Guest govinda

High temperature in NO today, 93 fahrenheit/33 celsius, lightning showers predicted.

This kind of hell has never been seen in this country.

Guest fredcamino
High temperature in NO today, 93 fahrenheit/33 celsius, lightning showers predicted.

This kind of hell has never been seen in this country.

41206[/snapback]

yeah, to me this is more eye-opening than 9/11 in regards to the imagined "security" of living in the most developed/richest country in the world. structured civilization hangs on such a thin thread. we are all vulnerable and can easily be knocked back into the stone-age, and there's really very little we can do about that. :blink:

Guest govinda

Yeah, I mean, the part that got me was the CNN news guy yesterday, who goes on a mission to see who needs help in a local hospital. He gets picked up by a guy on one of those fan boats. Along they way they see dozens of people up to their necks in water trying to get places--to find a family member, get food, get out, whatever. Every street, there are people with their heads bobbing above water.

You get the impression that these people are everywhere by the thousands, and completely cut off, no phone service of any kind, and only their rooftops as homes. And today it's gonna rain.

It's like a circle of hell in Dante's Inferno.

Guest F to the Soong

I can’t watch the news anymore. The imagery is just shocking, I experienced the eye of Andrew and from what I remember it was nothing compared to what’s going on over there. I caught a short clip of bush’s speech from Washington DC, anyone else think he had a little smirk on his face?

Guest parallax

I can't for the life of me understand why thousands were left/stayed in the city, and obviously are still there. Where the hell are all the 'troops'?

Guest ai
Where the hell are all the 'troops'?

41236[/snapback]

I've red that 40% of the national guard of the two concerned states is in Iraq with humvees etc.

They knew 6 days ago that it will hit.

Edited by ai

Guest govinda

I'm not even thinking about the completely marginal, clown-like figure that is our 'president' right now. The things he did and didn't do regarding putting goofballs in charge of, and cutting budgets at FEMA, budget cuts to hurricane preparedness and levee repair aren't worth thinking about when there are dead people propped up in chairs growing fetid in the 95 degree heat, impossible to bury because of the floodwaters.

I'd guess that 90% of the people who stayed couldn't leave because of poverty or the need to care for a loved one. The other 10% were just stubborn and assumed that management of this long-predicted catastrophe would be handled in a competent manner, having apparently not noticed the blithering idiocy of our executive branch during last five years, and not knowing that the head of FEMA is a crony with zero qualifications who was previously an estate planning lawyer in Colorado and counsel to the International Arabian Horse Association, not knowing that levee repair money was slashed, not knowing how much of their state national guard is in Iraq...

Long-predicted catastrophe? Well, it was only last year that I read a National Geographic article about the growing threat of hurricanes on the scandalously vulnurable New Orleans.

The reports are that thousands of the 20,000 people at the NO Convention Center are set to march out because they're in their third day without food.

No, I don't want to think that this photo was taken the day after the hurricane:

Bush-Guitar1.jpg