Sign in to follow this  
Guest F to the Soong

Hurricane Katrina

Guest scottgfx
I can't not post this. It's too amazing, and some non-American mographers seem curious about it:

All tragic things for certain. I think the agency was (is) just completely overwhelmed. The agency did OK during the hurricanes last year, but all combined were probably not as destructive at this one. I do remember last year that some agencies were asking people to stop donating clothes and just send money. There's a certain logic in that. Yes, it's very nice that people are willing to donate, but it becomes a huge logistical problem to sort through and transport goods. It's just easier to buy what you need. It might be the same for rail transport and communications. Yes, it could help, but there is probably no one at the agency to deal with the offer at this point. I hope that changes.

Guest scottgfx
...But so are those talking points of yours.  It's a total copout.  This is Washington's fault and everyone knows it.  Yes, all of Washington.  But most of all, Bush

Wasn't it a Democrat that once said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country."

Guest igorschmigor

Stop finding excuses for the people in charge. There is no denying that many people are doing a very poor job.

from the article i mentioned above:

Michael Brown, the blithering idiot in charge of FEMA - a job he trained for by running something called the International Arabian Horse Association - admitted he didn't know until Thursday that there were 15,000 desperate, dehydrated, hungry, angry, dying victims of Katrina in the New Orleans Convention Center.

Was he sacked instantly? No, our tone-deaf president hailed him in Mobile, Ala., yesterday: "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Bush on holiday, Rice shoe-shopping. Nobody there seems to take this serious at all.

Guest scottgfx
Bush on holiday, Rice shoe-shopping. Nobody there seems to take this serious at all.

41486[/snapback]

Harry Truman had time to go for early morning walks everyday. How dare he! He was no more an eloquent speaker than Bush 43, but yet he's perceived as a great American. How is that?

Guest pixelthief

You really make next to no sense at all.

Harry Truman had time to go for early morning walks everyday. How dare he! He was no more an eloquent speaker than Bush 43, but yet he's perceived as a great American. How is that?

41488[/snapback]

Guest igorschmigor

41488[/snapback]

There is a difference between "going for early morning walks" and "hanging around all day". Especially in days like these.

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest igorschmigor

Add least he tried. Too bad he doesn't know much about boats. But i don't see how that example takes any pressure from the other fools that failed to do their job.

Guest scottgfx
Add least he tried. Too bad he doesn't know much about boats. But i don't see how that example takes any pressure from the other fools that failed to do their job.

41492[/snapback]

All the armchair quarterback are looking for the easy-cheap-quick solution. There is not one in this case. There were tons of warning signs but nothing acted upon. We all sit on the sidelines and either point fingers or defend. The levees have been a constant worry for years and years, but nothing was done about it. One cannot point to any one person or administration and say that things would have been different. I'm trying to point out the absurdity of your argument. Government is never quick to respond. It's a huge machine that moves slower than Microsoft. Expecting everything to happen at the federal level is crazy. So now we point fingers at the state government? Well, yeah I guess we can but it's more blame game crap. There is sure to be a huge investigation into all of the events leading up to and encompassing this disaster. Until then, I don't think we can say much of anything.

Guest scottgfx
You really make next to no sense at all.

41489[/snapback]

It's called comparison contrast.

Bush goes to Crawford, TX and has satellite communication with Washington and has what is basically a "Western White House". He is still briefed daily on the goings on of the nation. He is never really incommunicado.

Harry Truman was the president that dropped the atomic bomb on Japan. Got the nation involved in Korea. By gosh, he had time every day to go for a walk. How is he to make important decisions when he isn't in the White House.

At least Bush can take a phone call while on the bike trail. You see, geostationary satellites didn't exists during Truman's time.

It has been said that a US President never gets a vacation.

Edited by scottgfx

Guest nextseason

scottgfx totally = the new headbox haha. it's gonna be hard on here.

sorry i just got back from some crazy roof party in brooklyn and i'm totally gone.

been drinking since 7 so i apoligize ahead of time.

I hope Bush and his administration burn for this one.

Guest igorschmigor

Crazy brooklyn roof party. Damn, that sounds like a lot of fun.

Who knows, maybe it's really the old headbox. He has a history in creating new usernames.

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest scottgfx
Crazy brooklyn roof party. Damn, that sounds like a lot of fun.

Who knows, maybe it's really the old headbox. He has a history in creating new usernames.

41497[/snapback]

Yes, everything that's wrong in the world can be blamed on Bush. Go on about your lives knowing that you have the answer and know everything.

Scott Thomas

Fort Myers, FL

Guest igorschmigor

No, he's just one of many that are to blame. But of course some US-Americans would never dare blame him. Never ever. Not even if he reacts like he doesn't give a shit about a million poor black people.

Guest igorschmigor

And racism isn't even the point. He still reacted like he didn't give a fuck about a million people.

Guest scottgfx
Fuck what rice thinks (or says she thinks). She doesn't even know she's black.

41501[/snapback]

Wow, I think you've really shown you're true colors here. Amazing.

Guest igorschmigor
Wow, I think you've really shown you're true colors here. Amazing.

41503[/snapback]

Sure, i got no problem with that. I mean what i say.

Guest scottgfx
Sure, i got no problem with that. I mean what i say.

41504[/snapback]

As long as you can sleep at night, I've got no problem either.

Guest igorschmigor

Why, is Rice a holy figure or what? She goes shoe-shopping while black people die because they get treated like second-class citizens. The question is: Can she sleep at night?

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest igorschmigor

Okay, i admit, i really don't know enough about Rice to judge her. Nevertheless, her words don't convince me. Of course she defends the president and the government. What else would you expect? I have my doubts. Maybe Bush isn't racist, but it always seems that people react much faster to save rich people. And there have been many reports about rich and/or white people being evacuated first, like these guys from the Hyatt Hotel, but also other stories that eye-witnesses have reported.

Guest nutrition_facts

i hope some good can come out of this regarding mentalities in the US, even for those who trust those in charge blindly, which isn't (mostly) the case in this forum from what i see.

i'm sad about all this, really am.... did anyone catch that press conference with a bunch of generals, the guy from fema, rumsfeld, etc? they kept justifying themselves, while people are still suffering.

:angry:

Guest SermonOfMockery

the worst part is, none of this is going to stick to bush. as soon as this is mostly out of the news in a couple of weeks, everyone outside of NOLA will forget about it and bush will be back to business as usual. he's made some of the biggest, worst mistakes in US history and i feel like nobody gives a shit. i'm anything but a liberal, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me...

i mean, there's probably going to be several thousand dead there, not to mention tens or hundreds of thousands of displaced/homeless and incredible economic depression for years and years and years... this isn't some petty squabble, it's a huge disaster, and i just think bush is going to escape this situation wihout any criticism really sticking to him and that's bullshit. its so frustrating how the republicans absolutely refuse to criticize him for ANYTHING, EVER, all they do is regurgitate their talking points. and of course nobody really gives a shit what the shrill voice of the left has to say about anything, so bush will go down in the history books as a hero i'm sure.

ok, enough out of me... sorry!

Edited by SermonOfMockery