Sign in to follow this  
Guest F to the Soong

Hurricane Katrina

Guest govinda

Gee, Scott, I remember the Federal Government leaping into action faster than Microsoft on at least one occasion--when Terry Schiavo was about to die. Not to mention that the Bushies acted faster wrt to the Tsunami, but that's another story.

Sorry, man, but anyone who thinks the federal gov't isn't tasked to take the lead in the nation's worst disaster in history, and yet does believe that the president himself needs to rush from yet another Crawford vacation to Washington to sign a known unconstitutional law to protect the brain-dead Terry Schiavo makes me wonder about his ability to function with simple street signs, scissors and safety pins. Be careful, Scott! Those things are pointy! Any explanation for those presidential priorities?

And lets remember that every prominent Republican save Arlen Spector gave hours upon hours of sanctimonious speeches on that Schiavo matter. Pat Roberts and Sam Browback of Kansas. Bill Frist. Tom Delay. Rick Santorum. I remember all their speeches like it was yesterday. They certainly leaped into action like their asses were on fire back in January, getting a bad law passed in record speed. Now?

So we have a situation, essentially, where one brain-dead white woman is more important than tens of thousands of still-living, mostly black, hurricane victims. I can't believe I'm saying those words, but I'm out of other explanations for Bush's incredible errors on this matter.

On other matters, my head just exploded. What succubus is inhabiting the body of our Finn?

Guest pixelthief

Everyone knows black people don't claim Condoleeza Rice.

condi-frowning_sm.jpg

Wow, I think you've really shown you're true colors here. Amazing.

41503[/snapback]

Guest pixelthief

Condi Rice stonewalled and lied at the 9/11 commission after basically being forced to testify by massive public outcry (most notably from 9/11 widows/families), after refusing for months to even be questioned regarding the attacks of 9/11.

Trust your instincts, IGOR. That woman deserves to be in prison, and she sold out her own people, to boot.

Okay, i admit, i really don't know enough about Rice to judge her.

41510[/snapback]

In other news, today, Barbara Bush had this to say:

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this (she chuckled slightly)--this is working very well for them."

Click here for audio.

Edited by pixelthief

Guest atslopes
Everyone knows black people don't claim Condoleeza Rice.

condi-frowning_sm.jpg

41556[/snapback]

I dont either, and im black btw--not that it matters but, to me shes full of crap and is also a sellout, and being used as a puppet by bush --with the whole affirmative action thing,but yeah everyone knows whos suffering the most throughtout this whole ordeal, black people its so obvious if you cant see that this. :angry::angry:

So we have a situation, essentially, where one brain-dead white woman is more important than tens of thousands of still-living, mostly black, hurricane victims. I can't believe I'm saying those words, but I'm out of other explanations for Bush's incredible errors on this matter

Me i dont like bush hes a liar, and a oil egomaniac, he also and pulled a no-show on the naacp, The only president the ever cared about blacks was bill clinton he is and will always be the first black president. :)

Institutional racism is the belief that aspects of the structure, pervasive attitudes, and established institutions of society disadvantage racial minorities, although not by an overtly discriminatory mechanism. -- this is what is going on right now

--forgive my ranting but yes this whole katrina thing is sooooo messed up.

Edited by atslopes

Guest amydot
maybe it's possible in the dry shelters, but you need electricity to phone and when your house is flooded you don't have any electricity, do you? SAT phones ... maybe, but using it every day without having to recharge the batteries?

How does he know that she drowned? When you're dead you don't pick up the phone, when you got evacuated you don't pick up the phone.

Why did she drown on friday? Wasn't everything already on sea-level by wednesday? Did the water really still rise after the first few days? I thought it just stayed the same.

41482[/snapback]

i could be wrong, but i've never personally needed electricity to use a phone -- just a phone line. additionally, i'd venture a guess that she was using a cell. if she had a full charge in the beginning, i think it could've easily lasted her that many days.

as far as how he knows she drowned, i've no clue, but i THINK the water continued to rise in some areas on friday as it was redistributed with the tide of the city. my source for this is a foggy brain, so i could be completely wrong here.

In other news, today, Barbara Bush had this to say:

Click here for audio.

41558[/snapback]

curious to know the context of this clip. was watching barbara bush on larry king live tonight. not a huge fan of her reaction and definitely see where her son gets his public speaking skills (and lack thereof).

edit: originally i had said source and context but am an idiot and didn't see that it was a link to an article. still somewhat curious about the context though.

Edited by amydot

Guest pixelthief

Transcripts will be around shortly, I'm sure.

However, I can't think of any context off the top of my head in which this comment would be acceptable. Not one. Can you?

I'm sure Karl Rove will find a way to spin it. He's stage managing the white house damage control from his fortress of treason.

still somewhat curious about the context though.[/i]

41561[/snapback]

Guest amydot
Transcripts will be around shortly, I'm sure. 

However, I can't think of any context off the top of my head in which this comment would be acceptable.  Not one.  Can you?

none whatsoever.

though i have hoped that this is a way at least for some of the poverty stricken families to have a new start, as many are so caught up in the oppression for so many generations that they have had no helping hands and little way out. SO, if she was saying that moving to Houston works out well for them, I guess I can kind understand, but as far as being struck by a hurricane that has killed up to 10,000 people and caused them to lose the little that they DID have...no, i can't see how that works out well for them.

Guest govinda

Re the Wired story, we're living in the path of disasters, I can totally get behind that. Regarding Drudge, zero agreement with Drudge posting something like that now. It's Drudge in his mode of providing talking points for his base.

Sorry to lay into you, Scott. Glad you're still around. Just like people on both sides I let myself get goaded on by commenters and bloggers who fan the flames.

Guest parallax

When i see Bush, sometimes i can't help thinking: He can't help it, he just hasn't got a clue. Wich is probably true.

You can bet those black and poor end up exactly in the same rebuild projects they lived in in the 1st place.

Guest igorschmigor
i could be wrong, but i've never personally needed electricity to use a phone -- just a phone line.  additionally, i'd venture a guess that she was using a cell.  if she had a full charge in the beginning, i think it could've easily lasted her that many days. 

as far as how he knows she drowned, i've no clue, but i THINK the water continued to rise in some areas on friday as it was redistributed with the tide of the city.  my source for this is a foggy brain, so i could be completely wrong here. 

I found out now that only wireless phones need electricity to work. Phone connection was cut in many areas for the first few days, but not everywhere. The story might be true. Or maybe not. We'll never know for sure. Actually it doesn't really matter that much to me though. What i see on TV is already tragic enough.

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest ai

Igor there are so many scenarios that could happen, maybe she simply drowned when she tried to escape her house, if you're old you can easily stumble when walking in a low amount of dark water. And yes phones lines are self powered. Today in the paper i've red a report from a woman who was in the convention center and escaped from there because they were forced to stay there. She said people felt they've been parked here to die.

Guest atslopes

If this whole katrina thing is the most racially divided thing i ever seen go down in america, its so obvious if you cant see it your blind.

prejudice.jpg:angry::angry:

Blacks are seen as criminals trying to survive. whites are seen as good people trying to survive. Wow this picture and text made me scratch my head for like hours. <_<

Guest amydot

after reading more comments from Landrieu, i formally retract my previous support.

what a shameful and incompetent government my home state has. just don't quite know what to say about them. :unsure:

Guest govinda

Just reported:

"[The Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team] is telling us to expect up to 40,000 bodies."

This article qualifies as rumor, but it goes along with Amy's freezer-storage thing earlier.

Here's something more solid--yet unbelievable--from the uber-conservative Salt Lake Tribune, about a group of 1,000 volunteer firefighters who answered a call to help out, but who were sent to Atlanta instead of the disaster area to that they could be given training in community relaions and sexual harassment counseling. That's bad enough, but it's worse:

"As specific orders began arriving to the firefighters in Atlanta, a team of 50 Monday morning quickly was ushered onto a flight headed for Louisiana. The crew's first assignment: to stand beside President Bush as he tours devastated areas."

This is a graphics board. So here it is graphically:

comp1.gif

By the way, anyone remember when Clinton was bashed for 'holding up air traffic' to get a haircut on Air Force 1 (which wasn't true, by the way)?