Sign in to follow this  
Guest F to the Soong

Hurricane Katrina

Guest ADROK

AMydot- welcome back safe and sound-

and your right-

there are human beings right now as you read this that are helping to restabilize lives.

Its obviouse now there was a HUGE mess up. From Many people From the top on down-

but its good to see people helping people.

it just brings home the fact that i need to have everything prepared for in my own life in case something happens and i got to go on the run with my family-

i sure as hell wont be looking to washington fer help- but then again Im an individual . not a parish let alone a state.

blessings to those that are still there and will never leave.

adrok

Guest ADROK

ok ok ok ok ok " forced evacuations"

the city is gettign water and power in some parts.. mandatory forced evacuations?

ug.

reminds me of sanfransisco 1906 man that sucked.

Guest pixelthief

I agree with you, Amy. These people deserve recognition and thanks.

But you make a severe mistake in assuming that criticism directed at top officials means that anyone is overlooking the true heroes here.

with all of the negative energy circulating around how officials have handled this catastrophe, let's not forget all of the people who are out there working and helping and saving lives in spite of what many believe to be a foiled bureaucracy.

41927[/snapback]

Guest govinda
reminds me of sanfransisco 1906 man that sucked.

41939[/snapback]

Hallelujah, I'm not the oldest one here.

I have to apologize to Amy for being so relentlessly negative, but there's good reason: there'll be other disasters in the future, and nobody wants this kind of screwup to happen again. I don't vote for the NO or Louisiana officials, so I'm just not as interested in their situations. On a national level, the people you and I *do* vote for, if we don't watch carefully right now, my experience is that we get scammed by liars and spinmeisters and revisionists and a water-carrying beltway media. And then we never get the facts, and the culprits slip off into golden-parachute retirements.

We've gotten the facts and reporting about this disaster like we've never gotten them before. I'm sure if we looked closely at something even eleven years ago, the LA Riots, we'd find micro-stories every bit as outrageous. As of tonight, for example, I know all the details of Mike Brown's resume, all the fakery and sham of it, but I never knew much about Daryl Gates, LA Police Chief during the riots even though I was issue-active at the time.

Guest pixelthief

Holding elected officials accountable isn't being negative. The way I see it, there were two disasters here. The first one we have mother nature to thank for. The second, we have our government to thank for.

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of being told that asking questions, demanding answers, and seeking accountability is being negative or playing a "blame game". The fact is that someone fucked up severely, as many as 40,000 Americans may be dead, and our government is directly responsible. George Bush is directly responsible.

Calling people "negative" doesn't change that.

I have to apologize to Amy for being so relentlessly negative

41942[/snapback]

Guest ADROK

I like your kung fu skills pixel.

but are you prepared to take action and find a way to help your fellow man? either to educate or to help change the system?

Someone once asked this of me and I do what I can in my modest shpere of infleunce.

We can all be sure that a disaster like this will most likely happen in our times... What can we do as creative people to help in times like these?

hmmmmmm.....

Guest pixelthief

I'll let you all in on a dirty little secret. Our manpower and resources are overseas, fighting an illegal and unnecessary war so we can create an islamic government.

Guest amydot

allow me to clarify. i did not mean that anyone here is BEING negative -- when i said negative energy, i simply meant all of the feelings of anger and resentment toward our government when anyone thinks of the situation, as opposed to pride and gratitude toward those who ARE doing a magnificent job. i don't at all feel that we should stop criticizing and looking deeper -- as i mentioned, i appreciate that being done. i simply felt that it was a good idea to pause and remember all of the great working being done in spite of it all.

please, continue bashing and discussing and holding the officials accountable. this was a a disaster on all levels, from local on up to mr. bush himself, and NO ONE should be let of the hook. if not for the splendid job of these ordinary citizens and privately held organizations, thousands more would have died whilst the government was still figuring out what papers needed to be signed and getting over the "shock" of the levee break (<sarcasm>after all, no one could've seen that coming, right?</sarcasm>).

anywho, easy to get caught up in the overwhelming darkness of this situation. i personally sometimes get overwhelmed with the enormity of both the tragedy and the errors made, so when that has happened, i stop to remember all the heroes and it helps bring things into what i feel is a slightly more holistic perspective.

carry on.

Guest pixelthief

"Ntl Guard Commander Says Iraq Hurt Us in NOLA"

...from the Washington Post

The deployment of thousands of National Guard troops from Mississippi and Louisiana in Iraq when Hurricane Katrina struck hindered those states' initial storm response, military and civilian officials said Friday.

Lt. Gen. Steven Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau, said that "arguably" a day or so of response time was lost due to the absence of the Mississippi National Guard's 155th Infantry Brigade and Louisiana's 256th Infantry Brigade, each with thousands of troops in Iraq.

Guest noodles

What I cant understand, is why people start looting and shooting and raping and killing in times when everyone should be sticking togehter and helping each other out. Why are americans so crazy and trigger happy?

When the Tsunami hit asia, there were as good as no reports of this type of stuff. And dont tell me "these people are poor bla bla bla..." asians are just as poor, if not far poorer.

Is this just an american phenomenon? Do americans desperately need armed police and military forces to keep a little law and order. I mean whats up, I thought America was one of the most civilised countries? or is that just true when americans have police threatening to shoot them if you dont abide to the law.

It sickens me to see looters more pre-occupied with getting the latest dvd player than being humane and helping the next person to survive.

For me this is a sign of America's preoccupation with material wealth and greed.

This kind of stuff would never happen in most other civilised parts of the world.

Edited by noodles

Guest govinda

Whoo boy. Nothing like a little triumphalist chauvanism built on faulty history to take us down new and exciting avenues.

Noodles, 1998, where were you? Remember anything happening that year in Asia? Fire, looting, mobs, street riots...any of that ring a bell?

And you know what? There was looting after the Tsunami, and if you didn't read about it before going out on your limb and claiming some cultural superiority, I'll be more than happy to do your research for you. No prob, bro.

Guest igorschmigor
What I cant understand, is why people start looting and shooting and raping and killing in times when everyone should be sticking togehter and helping each other out. Why are americans so crazy and trigger happy? 

When the Tsunami hit asia, there were as good as no reports of this type of stuff. And dont tell me "these people are poor bla bla bla..." asians are just as poor, if not far poorer.

Is this just an american phenomenon? Do americans desperately need armed police and military forces to keep a little law and order. I mean whats up, I thought America was one of the most civilised countries? or is that just true when americans have police threatening to shoot them if you dont abide to the law.

It sickens me to see looters more pre-occupied with getting the latest dvd player than being humane and helping the next person to survive.

For me this is a sign of America's preoccupation with material wealth and greed.

This kind of stuff would never happen in most other civilised parts of the world.

42028[/snapback]

The problem occurs especially when you have extreme poverty right next to wealthy districts. I think the looting is rather natural. People who've never had anything ... and now all they need to do is go in and take it. I can understand it.

There has been a lot of crime in asia too. There was some stealing and raping too (at least that's the news told me).

Guest igorschmigor

Ah shit, govinda was quicker than me again. Did it really take me more than 9 minutes to write this? :huh:

Guest govinda

Actually I wrote a five-paragraph treatise, cooked lunch, came back and killed it, started over and ended up at five paragraphs again, stopped and did some work, wrote three shorter paragraphs but still too long, killed them, and then boiled everything down to what I posted.

Pretty much the way I always work, unless I don't have the time and leave it overly long. :)

Guest noodles
Whoo boy. Nothing like a little triumphalist chauvanism built on faulty history to take us down new and exciting avenues.

Noodles, 1998, where were you? Remember anything happening that year in Asia? Fire, looting, mobs, street riots...any of that ring a bell?

And you know what? There was looting after the Tsunami, and if you didn't read about it before going out on your limb and claiming some cultural superiority, I'll be more than happy to do your research for you. No prob, bro.

42033[/snapback]

hmmm where was I in 98? probably lootin and shootin and rapin...yeeh haaaw. Sorry, No it doesn't ring a bell.

And I watched a lot of the news reports and have family in india and sri lanka, and no one mentioned anything of looting and raping and killing. I'm just schocked at how one of the most civilised countries of the world can collapse into total anarchy as soon as it gets the chance to. I mean there were people firing shots at rescuers, and rescue helicopters. People getting robbed and raped whilst sleeping in emergency shelters. Igor, you can understand this?

Edited by noodles

Guest govinda

What a soft noodle you have, Mr. Noodles. How quickly you forget...

The Indonesian Riots, 1998. Family of my inlaws had to flee their homes and businesses, which were torched by mobs. But 'civilized' parts of the world don't have these problems, eh? But of course this won't ever happen in the other parts of Asia (besides Singapore) that are kleptocratic police-states.

Looting after the Tsunami, since you still can't be bothered with a fucking two-word Google search ('looting' and 'tsunami') before you go making your claims of greater 'civilization:'

Elsewhere in Thailand, though, officials said more than 500 migrant workers were being deported for looting tsunami-damaged buildings. Maj. Vachara Sangvorayothin said an "army of Burmese workers are on a stealing spree."

-=-

Sri Lanka Churches Worried about Looting in Tsunami-hit Areas

Referring to the looters, the Sri Lanka church council said: "We appeal to them to kindly desist from such dastardly conduct and join with the several who are helping those in need," as it urged more church volunteers and others to join in the relief work.

The criticism came after reports that thugs were looting homes of some tsunami victims and rapists were preying on homeless survivors.

-=-

Somali pirates 'looting' food aid

Pirates who seized a UN-chartered ship carrying tsunami aid to Somalia have started unloading food from the boat, local residents say.

-=-

After Tsunami's Rampage, Looters' Market Is on a Roll

Business is coming back to Banda Aceh, Indonesian city devastated by tsunami, but much of merchandise on offer in market stalls and on streets has been looted or scrounged from wreckage; photos; landlords are demanding wildly inflated rents from foreign aid workers and journalists and tobacco company uses donated refugee tent to advertise itself; looting is exacerbated by fact that about 300 of city's 780 police officers died (M)

-=-

And what 'total anarchy' are you talking about, precisely? Where you live? You have gangs of black people coming atcha? Strange, I look outside, and I don't see them where I live. Could you be...exaggerating?

Look, I'm not going to defend American culture against stupid gun ownership and street violence, but neither am I going to sit by while people post intellectually lazy, crypto-racist horseshit either. Feh, I wash my hands of you.

Guest govinda

A story I've heard about but wanted confirmed. I was a skeptic, but now I believe it, and I'm so fucking enraged now I seriously need to be shot in the neck with a trank dart.

Gretna sheriff deploys armed squads to block bridge crossings near the Convention Center so that evacuees couldn't turn his (mostly white) little town into 'another New Orleans.' They also confiscated their food and water and used a helicopter's blade-wash to destroy their jury-rigged shelters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/10/national...agewanted=print

This is the place Shepard Smith was reporting from all last week, by the way. Expect him to weigh in on this story.

Guest atslopes
A story I've heard about but wanted confirmed. I was a skeptic, but now I believe it, and I'm so fucking enraged now I seriously need to be shot in the neck with a trank dart.

Gretna sheriff deploys armed squads to block bridge crossings near the Convention Center so that evacuees couldn't turn his (mostly white) little town into 'another New Orleans.' They also confiscated their food and water and used a helicopter's blade-wash to destroy their jury-rigged shelters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/10/national...agewanted=print

This is the place Shepard Smith was reporting from all last week, by the way. Expect him to weigh in on this story.

42042[/snapback]

preach govinga ; rascists, Anything to keep the black man down, preach

bush "clapped" by mos def

for all you hiphop heads this one is strickly for the streets, nah mean

Mos Def Dis track :D:D

wow listen to this dumb statment

Days later, the president's mother Barbara Bush gave her own perspective on the poor, black people. During a press tour of the Houston Astrodome, the elder Mrs. Bush mockingly suggested the evacuees had it better camped out in the Houston Astrodome than back at their own worthless lives back in New Orleans. ''What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," mama Bush said. "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them..." Bush told American Public Media's "Marketplace" program.

Edited by atslopes

Guest parallax

Is this just an american phenomenon? Do americans desperately need armed police and military forces to keep a little law and order. I mean whats up, I thought America was one of the most civilised countries?

You've got at least 1 person that begs to differ right here. A little more 'spreading of wealth' can do no harm sometimes, with 30+ million below the poverty line.

Btw, i heard estimated number of casualties may be just around 400(?!) How can your initial estimates be off by THOUSANDS(!?) this seems a bit fishy to me, or is this the usual spin by that reincarnation of Joseph Goebbels?

In other news: That new White Stripes song is hot. Crazy hot.

Guest parallax

Dude, i've got enough of that crap running on almost all TV channels!

edit:

I initially only saw a pop-up wanting to sell me ringtones and backgrounds.

I just now saw that Usher link. What a tosser. I don't see why people find criticizing the government wrong. It's your job to criticize the government, nay, it's your duty.

Edited by parallax

Guest igorschmigor
I mean there were people firing shots at rescuers, and rescue helicopters. People getting robbed and raped whilst sleeping in emergency shelters. Igor, you can understand this?

42039[/snapback]

I was talking about the looting. There is no excuse to firing at people, unless it's self defense. But that's what you get in a state where guns are available to everyone, even Wal Mart sells them. And yes, i do believe any state on this whole wide world would turn into true anarchy when you mix poverty, wealth, guns and no police. What do you expect?

Children have been raped in emergency shelters after the tsunami in asia too, some even got kidnapped and were never seen again.