Sign in to follow this  
Guest fredcamino

encoding video for the web

Guest fredcamino

hey friends, i'm almost done with my demo reel, and i'm looking for some advice on the encoding process so i can post a small, fast, decent quality version of it on the web. i currently can't afford anything like sorenson 3 or media cleaner... will buying quicktime pro work for me? and how about the free encoding software that microsoft and realmedia provide for their respective players? purchasing quicktime pro is my main query, but any other tips, pointers, or advice from you old pros would be much welcomed.

thanks,

ferd

Guest firemind

99% of reels out there are encoded as Quicktime using the sorenson 3 Pro codec. If that's impossible go with crossplatform standards like MPG1 (tho filesizes will be bigger or quality less) or MPG4 (beware this isn't totally supported everywhere).

Other alternatives:

Personally I like WM9 as it's probably the best webvideo codec out there at the moment, but you'll cut off a large part of the mac community. Realmedia isn't used much anymore because the codec just isn't that great anymore (there are better free alternatives) and the player is one of the most intrusive obnoxious pieces of software around. Divx is proprietory, you'll have to pay for both the codec as well as licensing costs for anything you encode, a better alternative would be xvid which is opensource and more advanced.

Guest soulmobile

So you think people like psyop, mk12, ecc... use Sorenson 3?

Their compressions look so fine, I guess they set quality to high almost 100%, right?

Guest firemind

Not really, sorenson Pro is a pretty decent codec, with some trial and error you should be able to find a happy medium between quality and compression that won't tear through your monthly bandwidth limit.

Guest Nick

MK12 definitely uses Sorenson 3 pro. The Sorenson 2-pass VBR can't be beat! I use the "constrain file size" option to keep the file size low. I usually try to shoot for around 4-6MB per minute. It depends on how much movement there is in your animation. Fred, if you are a student, you can get Sorenson pro for less than half price. Worth considering if you foresee a future of compressing for web.

Guest fredcamino

thanks for all your advice guys. unfortunately i've recently left the world of academia, along with my right to get student discounts on software, which makes sorenson too expensive for me unfortunately. right now i'm using the adobe media encoder that comes with adobe premiere pro. it has a setting for quicktime using sorenson 3 (standard i believe), and i'm still having trouble getting the file size down to the size i want. i've looked at most of the reels on this site, and it seems like most of them are 320x240, hovering around 3 min, at 29.7 fps, at a filed sizes around the 20mb area. this is what i want, but can't acheive! right now my file (a 3 min vid) is at 320x240, 15fps, and the file size is 33mb. do you guys have any recommended settings in regards to data rate, spatial quality settings, or any other such settings that could compress my file while upping the frame rate? whats most important to me really right now is a healthy frame rate and smaller file size, so i guess i could reduce the resolution, but so many other reels are at 320x240.

thanks for your help,

fred