Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Forster

Autodesk aquires Alias

Guest ESC

So now what happens to Maya on Mac??

Considering that Autodesk has not been to motivated to develop for OS X.

Edited by ESC

Guest sergioduque

weird!!

well they kinda have diferent targets being Max targeted to game development and Maya being a moreof a fx related app (i dont really think is what's happening thow..)

oh well, i wouldn't mind to have Particle Flow has a Maya particle system.....

Guest Sao_Bento
So now what happens to Maya on Mac??

Considering that Autodesk has not been to motivated to develop for OS X.

44596[/snapback]

Oops. Time to -

A. buy a PC

B.wait for Modo to add animation

C. buy C4D and hope something similar doesn't happen to them.

Guest ESC
Oops. Time to -

A. buy a PC

B.wait for Modo to add animation

C. buy C4D and hope something similar doesn't happen to them.

44599[/snapback]

lol

You are right.

Funny, because I think C4d is a great app and has the potential of getting scooped up

one of these days.

This is why it's never a good idea to get too religious about a particular technology.

Maya may live on but it may also die a slow death.

Guest three5

alias seems to have changed hands quite a bit in the last few years, as have a few of the autodesk (discreet) product lines.

i would love to see Señior Jobs pony up and just buy alias outright. He (pixar) already make the best use of it out there.

Guest superegophobia

i don't think maya will change all that much in the next 6-12 months but yeah after that who knows what will happen. They could drop mac support altogether, which would suck...

On the upside maybe the some of the technologies from 3DSM will be integrated into Maya and vice versa. Or they will create one massive 3D app "3D Studio Maya"... ha, not likely me thinks. Either way it will be interesting to see what direction Macromedia/Adobe goes with their own acquisition, i think we'll see some cool stuff in the upcoming months/years.

Now that i think about it, if Maya was dropped from mac what options would there really be? XSI, 3DSM are PC only, so that only leaves Lightwave (bleh) and C4D.

Guest Sao_Bento
i don't think maya will change all that much in the next 6-12 months but yeah after that who knows what will happen. They could drop mac support altogether, which would suck...

On the upside maybe the some of the technologies from 3DSM will be integrated into Maya and vice versa. Or they will create one massive 3D app "3D Studio Maya"... ha, not likely me thinks. Either way it will be interesting to see what direction Macromedia/Adobe goes with their own acquisition, i think we'll see some cool stuff in the upcoming months/years.

Now that i think about it, if Maya was dropped from mac what options would there really be? XSI, 3DSM are PC only, so that only leaves Lightwave (bleh) and C4D.

44616[/snapback]

Why pay for two development teams to work on competing products? They will definitely pick and choose the best of both to create a new über app. It might take a year and a half or so, but Maya will go away. The press releases always say that they won't drop support for any platforms or users, but in the end, Maya folks will be in the same boat as PC based Logic users.

Guest SermonOfMockery

from reading between the lines of various interviews and so forth it seems like Max's codebase is pretty much a mess and not anywhere close to portable. if that is correct it would likely be very difficult to "add maya to it."

Guest Self_90
from reading between the lines of various interviews and so forth it seems like Max's codebase is pretty much a mess and not anywhere close to portable. if that is correct it would likely be very difficult to "add maya to it."

44627[/snapback]

So it could go the other way around? Max dies... Maya lives :o

Guest superegophobia

So as a product, which one makes more money 3DSM or Maya? When it comes down to it, they don't care which product is "better" for artists/visual effects people... it's all about business and making a profit. Yeah our satisfaciton and happiness is tied to their sales but I kinda think if they can make more money having both "compete" against each other they will keep them both. Otherwise they'll kill off the less profitable one and integrate features into the other.

Guest Sao_Bento
So as a product, which one makes more money 3DSM or Maya? When it comes down to it, they don't care which product is "better" for artists/visual effects people... it's all about business and making a profit. Yeah our satisfaciton and happiness is tied to their sales but I kinda think if they can make more money having both "compete" against each other they will keep them both. Otherwise they'll kill off the less profitable one and integrate features into the other.

44638[/snapback]

According to a post on CGTalk, Autodesk makes more money than Alias, which isn't quite a direct comparison of products. Maybe Apple will buy Modo??

Guest Resbot

I am suddenly glad I didn't take the plunge from lightwave to maya like I had been planning.

Guest parallax

They will never kill off Max, it is the most popular 3D app of the high-end 3, and it is BTW not only used for games, but gamedevs often use Max.

That said, i'd love to have some (read: lots) Maya functionality in Max (but please keep Maya poly modelling off my desktop)

Guest Beaver

I guess this will solve the debate over who is top dog. I'm sticking with C4D though :) I think they'll be a force to reckon with in a couple years. They already have some sweet exclusive tools you can't get anywhere else.

Guest BillD222

Holy Smoley!! :o

WOW, I was just wrestling with maybe switching to MAYA from Max. I was starting to try it and was hating it. I couldn't find anything, very frustrating when switching 3d apps. Well now I dont have to. :)

I am very interested to see where this goes. I doubt very much that they will discontinue support for mac. I hope they will combine both and make an uber 3d App that is crossplatform and integrated nicely with compositing programs. However, the chance of harmonious RPFing into AfterEffects now seems more slim as now they can focus on getting both maya and max into combustion and other discreet compositing programs.

Perhaps this is some sort of business strategy to someghow exclusively integrate the 3d apps into the high-end/high-expense systems so they can justify the price of flames & infernos.

Guest nextseason

Dude, that's a highly exagerated form of the maya interface.

The coolest thing about it is you can turn off what you don't need.

I love Maya... :(

Guest Sao_Bento
I doubt very much that they will discontinue support for mac

44686[/snapback]

Combustion came from Denim, who had already ported it to Mac OS - Same with Media Cleaner - Discreet has never created anything for Mac OS. I can't imagine that something this complex is going to become their first bulletproof Mac OS app.

Guest superegophobia

Now I'm kinda thinking they won't kill off Maya although they may lose substantial marketshare if they're subsequent upgrades are lame (as I've heard most 3DSM users complain about). It really sucks if that's the case since v.7 has some great features that it's been missing for a while.

I also think it's fitting that the XSI page has a section specifically for Maya Migration http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v5/f...s/default.asp#4

*sigh* I learned Maya because I didn't want to go through the hassle of learning multiple 3D apps. I'm not jumping ship yet but if Maya's upgrades go downhill, I think at that point C4D will be developed enough to be a decent alternative (you can already see new features being integrated that look suprising similar to Maya/other 3D apps)

Guest fredcamino

i want to marry maya. i want to make slow but hard love to maya. i want maya to have my brown baby. i want softimage to die. die die die. i wish 3dstudio max would drop dead from a fatal disease. c4d is already handicapped, i just wish someone would pull the plug on that retard. i want it to be just me and my maya.

Guest fredcamino

The coolest thing about it is you can turn off what you don't need.

44699[/snapback]

is that really the coolest thing?

Guest nextseason
is that really the coolest thing?

44707[/snapback]

Yeah, you didn't get that memo?