Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Forster

Autodesk aquires Alias

Guest ESC
Perhaps this is some sort of business strategy to someghow exclusively integrate the 3d apps into the high-end/high-expense systems so they can justify the price of flames & infernos.

44686[/snapback]

You know, that is a good point. It it is very possible that they use Maya to help put some juice back into that product line by creating a suite or very close integration. I personally don't think they will develop two seperate 3D applications. This is all about business, the best way to leverage the newly acquired technology, and what's the most stakeholders will gain from it. At this point, it's all up in the air.

What we may be seeing is a market or product reaching maturity and as a result there is the process of consolidation among companies. It happens all the time. Just glance over at the IT world to give you an example. Companies such as PeopleSoft and Siebel get gobbled up from one day to the next. This helps put the company in position for the next generation of growth. That is, if they don't screw it up.

I really don't see why it's a big shocker. There are like a million posts over at CGTalk about this and people about to commit suicide over it. Shit man, it's technology, get used to it. What is sad is the employees who are probably in limbo right now.

I also see a bunch of startups on the way. I wonder if Adobe is scoping out Eyeon :P

Guest Sao_Bento
You know, that is a good point. It it is very possible that they use Maya to help put some juice back into that product line by creating a suite or very close integration. I personally don't think they will develop two seperate 3D applications. This is all about business, the best way to leverage the newly acquired technology, and what's the most stakeholders will gain from it. At this point, it's all up in the air.

What we may be seeing is a market or product reaching maturity and as a result there is the process of consolidation among companies. It happens all the time. Just glance over at the IT world to give you an example. Companies such as PeopleSoft and Siebel get gobbled up from one day to the next. This helps put the company in position for the next generation of growth. That is, if they don't screw it up.

I really don't see why it's a big shocker. There are like a million posts over at CGTalk about this and people about to commit suicide over it. Shit man, it's technology, get used to it. What is sad is the employees who are probably in limbo right now.

I also see a bunch of startups on the way. I wonder if Adobe is scoping out Eyeon  :P

44720[/snapback]

It's not a bad idea, except that the whole Flint/Flame/Inferno business model is built on a house of cards known as SGI. If I were Autodesk, I'd be trying to migrate those tools to a stable platform ASAP.

Guest ESC
It's not a bad idea, except that the whole Flint/Flame/Inferno business model is built on a house of cards known as SGI. If I were Autodesk, I'd be trying to migrate those tools to a stable platform ASAP.

44723[/snapback]

Weren't they moving that model to a pc/linux platform?

I know that all the Smokes and Flint/Flames at work are Linux.

As a matter of fact, the Autodesk Support Rep told us that our old

Flint/Irix boxes were not going to be supported next year.

Guest sianto

:o

Holy crap!

Didn't see that one coming. It surprised me even more than when Adobe bought Macromedia...

As a long time user of 3ds Max for motion design, i'm afraid years of dedication to this soft will go down the drain... C'mon, if you have a software like Maya in your hands, with all the fame it has, with so many Oscars behind, will you really try to sell Max to post houses??

I see one of these happening:

1 - Maya will be for film/video. Max will be for games. They will integrate nicely, but wil be each for different stuff.

2 - They kill Max. They integrate some good things from Max into Maya, and kill Max.

3 - They kill both. Then they launch a Frankenstein piece of software, mixin' up both. It will be called "Maxya" :D

No, really, i don't have a clue of what's going to happen. But i'm a little scared. I dedicated lots of time learning Max, and now this. The only thing i'm absolutely sure, they will not keep Max focused in the video/film market. There's no reason for it. Unless they are really crazy bastards who just paid 182 million just for the pleasure of killing Maya...

First thing tomorrow, i'll start learning XSI.

At least it already belongs to Avid, who just bought Pinnacle... Avid is a fish as big as Autodesk... i guess...

Guest sianto
So it could go the other way around? Max dies... Maya lives :o

44631[/snapback]

I've seen a site with Max's history since the late 80's. And it's true, Max's core is a real mess. As a long time user, i can tell you... they just keep adding plugins, modifiers and stuff, but never really touch the core. Maya's core is about 10 yeas newer than Max's. I believe Alias wrote Maya from scratch in the mid 90's. Maya 1.0 was launched in 98, i guess.

I was kinda hoping, in the last few months, that Autodesk would start thinking about rewriting Max from scratch, or even launch a totally new 3d app, as Softimage did. Now i don't know what's happening...

The only thing i know for sure, is that my XSI learning starts tomorrow...

Guest sianto

Oh, and on more thing ( now i sound just like Steve Jobs...)

Do you know who's going to be really pissed about all this? People who writes plugins for Max. And there are lots of them around...

Now, who lives? Maxscript or MEL?

Quick tip: Which one has more programmers in Hollywood post houses?

Just found this pdf. Read between the lines. They admit Maya is better than Max. And they kinda let us know what is going to happen. Pay special attention to Q23. Autodesk itself says Max is for games, and says several times Alias is good for film.

Max, i believe, will really become a content production tool for games.

Edited by sianto

Guest superegophobia
Just found this pdf. Read between the lines.

44787[/snapback]

"Maya software supports Linux®, Windows® and Macintosh® operating systems, making it the top choice for platform-sensitive segments like high-end film, whereas 3ds Max software is a Windows application that is used most often in world-building for games. We expect customers to benefit from the wide range of platforms upon which the combined company will offer its products."

Sounds promising but who knows, it's just a PR statement, they always say stuff like that.

"Alias’ StudioTools will bring conceptual design capabilities to Autodesk’s manufacturing customers. Alias’ relationship with every major automobile manufacturer extends Autodesk’s strong customer base in automotive parts manufacturing."

Yup it seems they really wanted ST more than Maya.

Guest parallax

That's kinda weird, as in the pre-alias-aquirement-era, Discreet/Autodesk tried so hard to profile 3DSMax as a High-end film workhorse, just as capable as Maya.

Guest sianto
That's kinda weird, as in the pre-alias-aquirement-era, Discreet/Autodesk tried so hard to profile 3DSMax as a High-end film workhorse, just as capable as Maya.

44991[/snapback]

Never believe in advertising...

Edited by sianto

Guest JMSDigital
According to a post on CGTalk, Autodesk makes more money than Alias, which isn't quite a direct comparison of products. Maybe Apple will buy Modo??

44643[/snapback]

autodesk makes more money than alias becaus they have a lot of different targets than alias does. alias focus's on VFX while autodesk ranges from game modeling to architectural design.

Guest sianto
autodesk makes more money than alias becaus they have a lot of different targets than alias does. alias focus's on VFX while autodesk ranges from game modeling to architectural design.

45034[/snapback]

Actually Alias has great products for industrial design. They complement very well Autodesk's products. Some even believe Autodesk was more interested on them than in Maya.

Check Alias' site, see for yourself. Those apps look great.

Guest hotbuttertrucker

I was expecting Apple to buy up Maya. Maybe that is why Autodesk did it first. The landscape for software will be very interesting over the next couple of years, with this acquisiton and Adobe's. Hopefully we will be the ones to benefit when they make better software.

Damn, that is way to optomistic. We are still going to have to pay for those nice executives' autos, so they can drive to work and muck a good piece of software. Isn't all this kinda anit-evolutionary? Where smaller more flexible (adaptable) software companies are eaten by the big dinosaurs? I guess we are just the insects that live on both.

Guest Codakel

It's a good thing.......they are gunna keep both lines and improve the interaction between the two programs, and they won't be making ANY changes in direction of either product for at least 3 years. Still, I'm sticking with Maya though.

:D

Guest Sao_Bento
It's a good thing.......they are gunna keep both lines and improve the interaction between the two programs, and they won't be making ANY changes in direction of either product for at least 3 years. Still, I'm sticking with Maya though.

:D

46085[/snapback]

And soon, a graffiti robot will make the world turn into happy rainbows.