Sign in to follow this  
Guest amydot

what's in a name?

Guest amydot

I sent Angry Beaver a PM earlier today asking the meaning behind his name, and it's a really funny story. He suggested that this would be a good thread. I concurred. It SHALL be a good thread.

the meaning behind my name:

well...my name is amy, and i've always liked typing in things like www.dot.com just to see what they yield, so i figured amydot.com would be fun. i acquired it (it's just my silly friends/family site), but most people online had gotten to know me as amydot so it seemed best to keep it. plus it's fun to say - it rolls off the tongue right nicely. oh, also, my grandmother used to call me amy-bug, so it's kind of the similar and it makes me think of her and of being 5 years old.

beav's story's MUCH better, you'll enjoy it a lot.

a side note: my favorite screen name on these boards is igorschmigor. it makes me snicker every time i say it out loud.

Guest fredcamino

frederick is my first name. fred is short for frederick. camino is my middle name. camino means "road" in spanish. fred camino is a fictional character created 2 years ago based on myself with a mustache. he is a lunatic billionaire narcissicist. he came about at a time when i had just graduated from college and started coming up with ways to promote myself. i figured what better way to promote oneself than with oneself.

he really likes appetizers at TGIFridays.

Guest laughingcolors

mine is simple. as many know, or may not know, LC is or rather was a band from the DC area . though reunion show turkey day ! so no, it doesn't have much to do with Art. but they do have a quote in a song " the colours are laughing at me"....

Guest borax

"Borax, also called sodium borate or sodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound. It is a soft white many-sided crystal that dissolves easily in water.

Borax is widely used in detergents, water softeners, soaps, disinfectants, and pesticides. One of its most widely advertised uses was as a hand-cleaner for industrial workers."

Borax was my favorite track from the Speedy J album A Shocking Hobby and I started using the name when playing games on-line.

Guest govinda

I had a CD sitting on my bed that had a track by the trance DJ Govinda on it. I was joining the Creative Cow and I needed a name right then, and I looked over, and there it was.

Turns out govinda means 'He who reigns over the cows.' :D

I had to like that it was both ethnically and gender-ifically dead wrong.

Guest mr.Squiggle

fred dosent really have a moustache?

Mr.Squiggle is the greatest ever puppet cartoonist from the other side of the moon.

I just thought people might be less likely to take offence at my tendency to make snide arrogant unthoughtout comments if I had a stupid childish name. It reminds me to stop taking myself so seriously when I see it.

Guest chriskelley

It's my name, obviously - although this is the first board that I've gone with the entire 'chriskelley' as opposed to the simplified 'ckelley'. Yeah, I know, that's the most exciting thing you've heard all day.

However I always use my name for everything, because I'm incredibly proud of my family and the name that I carry, and what it represents. Much of my motivation in life is based upon upholding a reputation and expectation that has been set by my family before me, and it is something that I take into consideration with everything I do. From picking up my Wacom pen in the morning, to stepping onto the rugby pitch, to shaking somebody's hand and telling them my name.

It's never just "Chris" - it's always "Chris Kelley".

I take it with me everywhere:

kelley.jpg

(right shoulder) - Irish flag, as my heritage is based in Galway and in Cork (near the Blackwater River - interestingly enough, one of my friends is from Cork and his family owns a pub called the 'Blackwater Tavern')

if you've read this far, you rock.

</personal rant>

Guest George.

damn my dyslexia - it took my at least five minutes to figure out what sivart was backwards.....

Mine is George - not my real name, a nickname from watching too much seinfeld (hence the avatar most of the time) and from what my friends call a strong resemblence to Castanzas charateristics - most notably being a tight ass (luckily I m not bald nor fat but i do have Geroge's luck in the ladies dept - feel free to say gday http://www.myspace.com/7896111)

Guest crabbey1

Very simple for me... C for Christopher + R for Robert + ABBEY for Abbey = my name. Then I added a 1 because when I signed up on AIM there was already a CRABBEY... That bastard...! :angry:

Guest C-FU

"C"= my first name and "FU" supposedly = skill (don't confuse this with I got skills. more like, these are his skills type mind set). I am not sure if FU really means skill but KUNG-FU means Good Skill. I could be wrong but I like how it sounds since its suppose to reflect "sifu". I wouldn't dare say this now but I was always teaching my fellow designers in college how to use programs and going about working there typography and everyone new me for doing kung-fu. SO the name naturally fit at the time. I've trained in Kung-fu (Hungar style) for many years now. Although I haven't had much time for it lately because of work, but I will do some taichi and work the staff a bit when I am at home every chance I get.

Guest alan22
the meaning behind my name:

well...my name is amy, and i've always liked typing in things like www.dot.com just to see what they yield, so i figured amydot.com would be fun.  i acquired it (it's just my silly friends/family site), but most people online had gotten to know me as amydot so it seemed best to keep it.  plus it's fun to say - it rolls off the tongue right nicely.  oh, also, my grandmother used to call me amy-bug, so it's kind of the similar and it makes me think of her and of being 5 years old.

45403[/snapback]

funny, i used to read it as armydot before you pointed it out.

alan22 is the name of my network.

Edited by alan22

Guest JimmyB

Seams like a good spot for my first post.

Was playing halo, i think, with some friends and had to make a profile.

Picked the name Jimmy Backho out of nowhere and had the best game i've ever had, so it stuck and they call me jimmyb now.

thats about it.

Guest govinda

I remember from my year of Chinese that 'gong fu' means 'leisure time' in Mandarin. I think it's the same Cantonese.

Guest Awesome Swelles

Someone already had Sellews Emosewa so I just spelt it backwards and had done with it. Fortunately, I am able to identify my posts with the help of a complex system of mirrors and prisms.

Guest Beaver

About 2 years ago when me and 3 other guys were living in a house with a pool, I invented a dive where you did a half-flip with a 360, and it was dubbed "The Angry Beaver" since it vaguely resembled a rabid woodland creature flying through the air.

Guest SermonOfMockery

pyrexia1st.jpg

you probably can't read it in that image, but Sermon Of Mockery is the name of an album that came out in like 92 or 93 by a death metal band called Pyrexia.

Edited by SermonOfMockery

Guest Sao_Bento

Sao Bento Grande (translates to "The Great Saint Benedict") is a key figure in Candomble, and also the name a rhythm in capoeira. The avatar is an image of Mestre Bimba, originator of the "Regional" style of capoeira (the name "Regional" comes from a newspaper story on him, describing his "regional style of fighting from Bahia").

In capoeira, the rhythm of the berimbau sets the pace and tone of the game. Sao Bento Grande was Mestre Bimba's favorite rhythm, and signaled that the jogo de capoeira would be fast paced and fight oriented.

I've been fortunate enough to spend time and train with many capoeira mestres in the U.S. including Mestre Beiçola from Rio de Janeiro, Mestre Accordeon, probably the most well known living student of Mestre Bimba, Mestre Ra, Mestre Sardiña from Salvador, Professor Tiao, Mestre Vaughiño from Sao Paulo, and even Eddie Gordo himself, Mestre Marcelo from Capoeira Mandinga.

One day, I'll get around to shooting my feature length doc on Hip Hop as relates to Capoeira as relates to the traditions of West African culture that still play a huge part in our culture today.

Guest zacid

zacid = combination of zac (zac welch, instructor) and id (interactive design, class) when both words come together pure design power + fury (brutal type) is born. ;)

Guest clintvideo

Capoeira is so cool! As you can imagine, not very common up where I'm from. I usually go by Hakkoryu on web forums since I train Hakkoryu Karate Jitsu. It's a small, almost private style dating back at least to the 1600s. My instructor had to fly to Japan for his 2nd degree black belt test, the first half of which was given at the police academy there. If I remember correctly, his instructor is still a bodyguard for the emperor.

But when I was still working for the TV station and wanted to get some freelance stuff going in a hurry, the domain name "clintvideo" was the quick and available...so I took it. I wanted to eventually pick a better name and get into 3D modeling and animation, partly because there are not many such animators around here. Then I figured out why. There's no paying work. But I still do lots of live TV stuff, mostly when "the big networks" come to town. And that's enough. Now I do mostly educational video for a great company and I don't get called in whenever news happens.

Cf

Guest laughingcolors
Capoeira is so cool!  As you can imagine, not very common up where I'm from.  I usually go by Hakkoryu on web forums since I train Hakkoryu Karate Jitsu.  It's a small, almost private style dating back at least to the 1600s.  My instructor had to fly to Japan for his 2nd degree black belt test, the first half of which was given at the police academy there.  If I remember correctly, his instructor is still a bodyguard for the emperor.

But when I was still working for the TV station and wanted to get some freelance stuff going in a hurry, the domain name "clintvideo" was the quick and available...so I took it.  I wanted to eventually pick a better name and get into 3D modeling and animation, partly because there are not many such animators around here.  Then I figured out why.  There's no paying work.  But I still do lots of live TV stuff, mostly when "the big networks" come to town.  And that's enough.  Now I do mostly educational video for a great company and I don't get called in whenever news happens.

Cf

45459[/snapback]

speaking of domain names.. i once bought a domain name back in college , a company contacted me. They offered $500, i was stupid and took half that for it.

you never know

Guest caffeineman

All right children, come gather 'round grampa while he tells you a story.

Back when I was a young child of 8 yrs old my mother would sometimes take me to work with her on the weekends and during the summer.

On the way to her work was Baronets coffee:

00142.jpg

As a little tyke I used to get hot chocolate and my mother had coffee in our special Baronets coffee mugs.

Then little by little I would ask for her to pour a little coffee from hers into my hot chocolate. Slowly it became more coffee added than actual hot chocolate.

By age nine I was drinking coffee regularly. Decaf of course.

Flash forward to the sixth grade. I was so cool in my grunge outfit. Flannel wasn't just for lumberjacks back then.

Every morning I had my travel mug of coffee. It was a staple in my outfit.

Since I am a naturally upbeat, savvy, smiling, lovin'-life type gentleman, people assumed it was the caffeine, even though I told them it was decaf. They didn't want to beleive.

They started calling me caffeineman. Ok...well not calling me it regularly. I think someone mentioned the name once. In passing. Under their breath.

The End.

Now one of you little tykes give grampa a foot rub.