Sign in to follow this  
Guest amydot

what's in a name?

Guest Son Of Simon

Mine comes from a translation of my last name. My last name means "Young son of Simon' or so I'm told. I've also heard another breakdown of the name. Sim is short for simon. Cox means cocky young man. I dunno, I thought it sounded cool. I was doing a little geneology research back in college and I wanted to be a cool designer with his own personal webiste. So I picked www.sonofsimon.com I havent put much up there since getting a full time job in the business.

Guest seabass

Its boring, but based on Cam Neely's character in Dumb and Dumber. He also makes a brief cameo in Me, Myself and Irene as Seabass.

Guest Deepsky
i was in the middle of a huge public breakup in the middle of a subway platform with an old ex girlfriend of mine and at the end she said

"your a jerk, with a capital J "

ive used that name for everything ever since

45658[/snapback]

Haha! NiCe! Embrace that name!

Guest UNIKFREK

UNIKFREK.

it's not how it sounds - it's like this - UNIQUE FREAK.

yeah...doesn't sound so unique when spelled out, but I had to give in to this name. Back in my old skool raver days, I was a real freak about falling in love with DJs. The first DJ that ever gave me a kiss [on the cheek, nonetheless] was Barry Ashworth of the Dub Pistols.

The Dub Pistols had a track called "Unique Freak" and the lyrics go something like this,

Unique Freak

When I grab the microphone

Bring it on.

that's that.

and btw - in case you didn't know, this is a girl writing.

now ya heard.

Guest Paradigm Shift

A Paradigm Shift is the acceptance by a majority of a changed belief, attitude or way of doing things.

This is not as pretentious as it seems. Whilst at uni i got very low marks during the first few years but ended up graduating with a first.

This was probably due to a change in staff but i would rather believe in a Paradigm Shift.

Guest opus13

Many moons ago I worked at a fine wines shop. There was a brand new snooty wine from California just in, Opus One, and I was stocking the racks. I couldn’t figure out if it was meant to be like a software version (with an annual release date!) or if it was a singular entity.

I started to go through the numbers, simply because Opus One had a snazzy ring to it, and others might seem nice as well. I got up to 13 when my boss interrupted me.

I never got back to counting.

This thread is great. Let's revive it.

It was just a few days after Halloween in 1998 and I was signing up for my very first AOL instant messenger account. I needed a name, and I was so dubbed Firebetty by my boss at my first ever production internship.

Backstory:

I was a coctail waitress in a bar in Chicago. My costume that year was "fire," corsets and body paint were involved. It's a long story.

I have been told that I look a little like Betty Page.

Thus the name... Firebetty

It has nothing to do with anything really, which is why I like it.

Edit: What's funny, is that I have a friend named Beth, who is a firefighter. So it would be totally perfect for her, for a completely different reason.

Edited by Firebetty

That explains your fear of bars and *not* showing up last night.

This thread is great. Let's revive it.

It was just a few days after Halloween in 1998 and I was signing up for my very first AOL instant messenger account. I needed a name, and I was so dubbed Firebetty by my boss at my first ever production internship.

Backstory:

I was a coctail waitress in a bar in Chicago. My costume that year was "fire," corsets and body paint were involved. It's a long story.

I have been told that I look a little like Betty Page.

Thus the name... Firebetty

It has nothing to do with anything really, which is why I like it.

That explains your fear of bars and *not* showing up last night.

I told you I was wicked tired, yo! You don't listen. Why don't we organize a smaller event somewhere in Hollywood? What about Boardners or possibly the Chalet in Eagle Rock? I don't care, just pick a place, post a thread, and we'll see who shows up this time.

Me and Mr. Bne Meyrs were doing a show on our college radio station a few years back. We weren't even friends then really but got grouped up by chance so I decided to have some fun and say dumb shit like "Back to Big Ben/Gentle Ben/Beniffer" etc. whenever throwing back to him. As retribution he threw to me by saying "Now here's Pauly Biggieboy" which really had no meaning at all. My friends were listening to the show and it just kind of stuck, though I'm more commonly refered to as "Biggie" nowadays. In fact it's really odd hearing people say something like "Hey Paul", it just doesn't sound right anymore. When speaking about me, people refer to me as Paul, when speaking TO me I'm more used to hearing Biggie. Kinda weird.

Sometimes when girls ask where the nickname came from I just point to my crotch and say "whadduyahthink?"

Back in College... I went to a school where basically half the kids were studying science/engineering/tech and the other half were art kids - film/design/photo/etc....

anyway - the engineering half would call the art kids - "cuttypasties"

Thus when looking to rebrand myself and get a new DBA and domain name - I went back to my roots and chose Cutty Pastey.

And my girlfriend thinks its cute.

the end

cuttey pastey is a slammin name.

i went originally with 'carniceria' because i had just moved to san francisco and was living in the mission. so i was surrounded by spanglish along with a lot of spanish signage. it was kind of a pick-whatever-name-is-right-in-front-of-you.... decision.

then i went with 'mete_shop'... because no one can pronounce carniceria.

i've been riding bmx for a decade or so and i was riding a skatepark opening demo sort of deal and i did a gap to land in a manual(riding on back wheel only) and this guy with a super southern accent said something along the lines of, "he did a gap to mangle" and someone heard and it kinda stuck. funny thing, i didn't know i had it for a good 3 years. then it just spread. but my real name is michael.

isotrope is the French translation of isotropic.

I thought it was a cool word while in college. Years later I found out what it actually meant.

Basically, it means going in all directions equally. Which, as it happens, is how my life has always gone.

To me, it's pretty much the equivalent of "Jack of all trades, master of none". Which also explains why I don't have any projects of value to post.

I got mine from my girlfriend/fiance/future wife. Since both our names start with A, she would always say things like "a squared...", so when I was thinking of a name to use to register for a website, I ran with it...the visual, well, that's obvious.

Edited by a2visual

I got mine from my girlfriend/fiance/future wife. Since both our names start with A, she would always say things like "a squared...", so when I was thinking of a name to use to register for a website, I ran with it...the visual, well, that's obvious.

that's strange. I actually was thinking it sounded like A - Two. (Est tu?)

But I like A squared.

Mine's just the name of my design business.

Partly because I wanted to convey the plain industrial nature of Detroit. Partly because it conveys a sense of "in-between"... halfway between art and science, or creative and technical. Partly because the domain was available.

Actually, the name started as my recording studio business, and the design thing took enough a lot faster.

But, the name is Harry.

I added to this a while back when I was using ClintVideo, but that whole user database crash thing allowed me to jump in as Velocity Video. It's partly a reference to my motorcycle roadracing career, but also because I edit on a Leitch dpsVelocity at home. If only I could edit at 300kph like I ride...

Cf