Sign in to follow this  
Guest amydot

what's in a name?

formally biggieboy is now beau+++

My last name is "Beaudry" and:

2. beau - a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance

fashion plate, fop, gallant, dandy, dude, clotheshorse, sheik, swell

coxcomb, cockscomb - a conceited dandy who is overly impressed by his own accomplishments

it's like an inside joke between me and....me, and it's not nearly as lame as "biggieboy".

Also, in French, "beau" means something along the lines of "pretty" or "handsome", and I make (somewhat) decent looking pictures fly around people's screens.

(pssst - to be completely honest I just use it because my last name has a WORD in it)

Edited by RustyAce

My name is Stefan. An animator where I worked once started calling my Saint Efan because that's what you get when you put a space between the first two letters of my name. St Efan.

zander is my last name..it's what I go by, I here Aaron (first name) and it sounds like a dozen otehr names out here in cali cause people don't know that AA doesn't sound like an e

Aaron≠erin fyi

funny story, my dad wanted to name me alex...put that and my last name together for a joke.

"graymachine" actually started as my recording studio name.

The idea was to name something that felt like what it was, a Detroit based basement studio: not very shiny or pretty, but utilitarian, and it got the job done well. As time progressed and I realized (again) how little money there was in the recording industry, I shifted the site to my freelance design business, because I already owned the site and I was poor after getting laid off and dropping my money on a bunch of recording gear.

I justify retaining the name it in the fact that much of what i do is such a mix of technical and creative, and thus an art that is in the middle, in the gray area. And machine... I dunno, probably because at the time I had just gotten into the Secret Machines and I liked the sound of it. Plus, the .com was available.

Interestingly, you can find some stuff that I produced and engineered here:

http://www.myspace.com/pillartopostband

http://www.myspace.com/mightykrakatoa

Quite juxtaposing styles :) Pillar to Post is my bro's band, and Krakatoa is a run by friend of mine.

Harry, as a new dad maybe you should have a subsidiary called Green Diaper! We have two little guys generating those at an alarming pace in my house. I went to the garage, brought in the mask that I use when doing bodywork or other nasty chemical processes, and wear it for every poopy diaper. When my mom was watching the boys the other day, our oldest came up to her holding "The Mask" and a clean diaper because he was loaded!

Cf

mask.jpg

My last name is Law. There's a song I like to send people when we're competing.

perhaps you've heard it.

Sweet. My Mom's maiden name is Legal. I wish I could've had that for a last name instead: Paul Legal, or Paulie Legal. Sounds like a superhero name.

Sweet. My Mom's maiden name is Legal. I wish I could've had that for a last name instead: Paul Legal, or Paulie Legal. Sounds like a superhero name.

Paulie Legal sounds like you're in some conscious rap crew.

I actually used to get lots of the worst digs at that name. like "so you're related to the guy from Tekken?" or in 2nd grad kids would sing the chorus to "Deck the halls" really loud......think about it.

but yeah....legal is close to Regal. flows off the tongue nicely, also has all sorts of authoritarian properties...gives you an edge me thinks.

When starting the kind of swedish one man company I did in early 80's, it had to be

registered as three letters and the surname.

Elvis had this necklace with the letters TCB, Taking Care of Business.

I did loads of touring as a soundengineer/tourmanager Taking Care of Audio.

Hence TCA.

Later built a studio, tcastudios.

That's it.

Cheers

Lennart

In the groundbreaking film "Jurrasic Park" there is a scene where the monstrous T-Rex is attacking a ford explorer filled with children. The brave Dr. Ian Malcom takes a road flare and attempts to lure the T-Rex away from the children. Knowing that the vision of a T-Rex is based on movement, the brilliant Dr. Alan Grant shouts "Ian! Freeze!".

A great line from a great movie. Two great taste that taste great together.