Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scorch

Total Post amnesty

how do you hide money from a hippy?

whats the difference between light and hard?

whats the difference between a lightbulb and a pregnant woman?

Flame or smoke is priced out in 100s of thousands of dollars. That's why some people see them as overkill...because of the price. We have a flint and it cost us $125k. It's not even based on Irix anymore or on SGI stations. So esentially we paid 125k for a IBM branded linux box with a fancy RAID. Now, yes...it's realtime, but realtime is not TRUE realtime. But some producers won't work with anything but flint/flame/inferno/smoke. I think to each it's own...I would much rather buy about 10 super decked out workstations than one flint. But that's just me.

There's a certain amount of marketing along with it. Some producers insist on doing digital paint work on a Flame that could easily be done in Photoshop. Partially, because it's what they know.. and partially because it allows them to inflate their budgets and get the sessions in the cushy post houses where they get a sandwich and a hand job every hour.

I think it's a waste of money, but I get neither of those benefits when I am working, lest I make both myself.

I'm gone for a couple of hours and it comes down to this.

I guess you really can't stop the bum rush.

But I don't know whats worse, that you guys posted all that, or that I read it.

Or that I'm now at home and wasting my own time reading it...

I think the last.

No, that's not it. We had some freelancer in who used to work at Pittard and Sullivan .. and he had some fancy phrase he used when he was waiting with clients. It sounded important ... but really all it was was a way to waste time while he waited for it to render.

Stroking his ego... maybe.

Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

not even close....

but I've left a trail of clues. If you can figure it out I'll drink 100 cups of coffee. :D

Edited by mamurphy