Sign in to follow this  
Guest ace

Motion Theory

Guest ace

Hello mograph people out there,

Can anybody help me how to do an effect of "IT Consolidates" from Motion Theory.

Hope that I can get a rough idea. Tutorial is appreciated if any.

Thanks in advance. :)

Guest govinda

Great link! The first two parts were great.

But then came those final ten minutes. They made me want to claw my eyes out. He talks about how hard it is to do something you love for clients. You know, the eternal compromise of doing commercial work as opposed to the purity of doing things directly from the soul. 'This stuff is 'art'' he says. Pffffftttt!!!!

It's not art; it's very very good craft. It's not brilliant; it's very very clever. He's on that line of thinking that you hear so much from young designers, and it's a deadly deadly way of thinking, not to mention insulting, presumptious and soft-headed. I mean, people are DYING here. Some people dig graves for a living; some people clean bedpans; some people pick up garbage--and surprisingly enough they somehow don't have these massive conflicts. If you want to do art, do art. That's something different, harder, freer, smarter and doesn't come with a sweet regular paycheck, and so it's nothing like design. Design is a job. Just do it.

Guest fredcamino

But then came those final ten minutes. They made me want to claw my eyes out. He talks about how hard it is to do something you love for clients. You know, the eternal compromise of doing commercial work as opposed to the purity of doing things directly from the soul. 'This stuff is 'art'' he says. Pffffftttt!!!!

It's not art; it's very very good craft. It's not brilliant; it's very very clever. He's on that line of thinking that you hear so much from young designers, and it's a deadly deadly way of thinking, not to mention insulting, presumptious and soft-headed. I mean, people are DYING here. Some people dig graves for a living; some people clean bedpans; some people pick up garbage--and surprisingly enough they somehow don't have these massive conflicts. If you want to do art, do art. That's something different, harder, freer, smarter and doesn't come with a sweet regular paycheck, and so it's nothing like design. Design is a job. Just do it.

46211[/snapback]

nicely put. too bad i can't view the link because i refuse to play around with real media.

Guest noodles

yeah same here.

god I hate real player...why on earth does this software even still exist! It worse than Windows Media Player, which at least has some good codecs!

Guest tebon01
... I mean, people are DYING here. Some people dig graves for a living; some people clean bedpans; some people pick up garbage--and surprisingly enough they somehow don't have these massive conflicts.

46211[/snapback]

Broadcast designers work on projects that reach millions of people - something that garbage men don't deal with. There's a certain amount of responsibilty in this. Choosing to work on that great paying Miller Light campaign that encourages people to drink has far greater consequences than choosing to pick up someone's trash.

There's nothing wrong with thinking about the broader implications of this field. To not do so is irresponsible.

Guest sputnikk

46211[/snapback]

so if you get paid for somerthing it's not art? Who are you to decide what's art and what's not? What do people dying and picking up the trash have to do with anything? Sorry it doesn't make an inch of sense to me. Why do we have to make this hard disctinction between art and design, where "art" is somehow harder, freer, smarter, etc. I guess it's only art if it's in a museum eh? ;)

I think some mograph pieces I've seen I would call "art" even though they're commercial projects. Some movies I see I would call art, while others are just fun. Same with books, drawings, videogames, etc...

Guest govinda

Well, yeah, you're free to call anything art. There you go, you're calling things art that I think are great craft, good for you.

What about a museum? Are you making shit up that you think I think? Because I don't think that. Richard Serra's works mostly aren't in museums.

My thing is that there are real artists who work thanklessly on profound work for little or no guaranteed pay, and everytime I hear a designer say he's doing art, I think of those people, and what an insult it is to them that some 23-year-old pampered, self-congratulatory, well-paid person thinks he or she deserves to be in their category. Just because they think they ought to. Just because they work hard around talented people and what comes of it is clever. No, none of us have paid those dues. And the work that comes of it--very nice, but not profound.

Everyone loves to pat themselves on the back. Go right ahead. I don't agree, but your arm is your own.

Guest superegophobia
My thing is that there are real artists who work thanklessly on profound work for little or no guaranteed pay, and everytime I hear a designer say he's doing art, I think of those people, and what an insult it is to them that some 23-year-old pampered, self-congratulatory, well-paid person thinks he or she deserves to be in their category. Just because they think they ought to. Just because they work hard around talented people and what comes of it is clever. No, none of us have paid those dues. And the work that comes of it--very nice, but not profound.

46284[/snapback]

Agreed. We are doing work for clients, to sell their product or put out their message. In general I think art is more of a personal self-expression creation, not so much design trying to sell the newest nike shoes.

I mean "art" is, in many respects, a shade of grey but I think if someone wants to do "true art" then do personal experimental motion graphics pieces. You won't be influenced by some jackass client who wants to mess up your color pallete and it will be something that you want to say; not propaganda to make money.

Guest fredcamino
Agreed. We are doing work for clients, to sell their product or put out their message. In general I think art is more of a personal self-expression creation, not so much design trying to sell the newest nike shoes.

I mean "art" is, in many respects, a shade of grey but I think if someone wants to do "true art" then do personal experimental motion graphics pieces. You won't be influenced by some jackass client who wants to mess up your color pallete and it will be something that you want to say; not propaganda to make money.

46286[/snapback]

well the kid was talking about "doing art" but still "making a living". very few people are going to pay you loads of money to masturbate. if you want to make money, get a job and deal with the shit that comes with that. garbage men have to pick up peoples shit. poor baby motion theory designer has to contend with the fact that he's "sold out". awwwwww. it's just seems amazing that a guy who can program like that and do all that great stuff, he must obviously be smart, but still can't understand how the world works and how lucky he is. i'm not saying that he has to devote his life to commercial art, but if he wants to be just an artist, without "selling out", he's going to have to get a job at TGIFridays too or something if he'd like to pay for the cost of life. and that's a choice we all make, do we decide to make really cool looking shit, but for a client, or do we carry chili popperinos to table 12?

Guest fredcamino

and i consider commercial art just as much art as any other art, except for the fact that it's commercial. it is for-hire art! but still art! the shit motion theory is doing, there can be no question to any of us that it is art. look at it! it's beautiful, amazing, and incomprehensible. who cares if it has a logo at the end... that logo is what funded that art. it funded the lives of many artists. we should be thankful of those logos and the fact that we can sell out, because it means we can live as artists! artists without all the pretension and bullshit that typically comes with the word.

now i don't know a lot about art history, but it seems to me that a lot of great "classical" art (let's say the ceiling of the sistine chapel) was commissioned by the church. perhaps the corporation is the church of today. the church was certainly the institution with the power and money back then, as is the corporation today. should we not consider the ceiling of the sistine chapel art because it was commissioned by a larger entity, and not the artist himself? from what i've read, michelangelo prefered the art of sculpture to painting, and took on the sistine chapel commission in exchange essentially for a massive sculpting commission he had been bugging the pope about for years. so it could be that michelangelos sistine chapel frescos was just some hack work to pay the bills until the project he really wanted to work on came up. hey, we all gotta do it sometimes.

Guest govinda

Fred's like my hero today. Damn, that was good.

Anyway, I was too harsh on the Motion Theory guy (he was just tossing off a single comment and was apologetic about that part of his talk), and I was too harsh sputnik. Plus I did the same thing to sputnik he did to me--made up an argument he wasn't making.

Guest fredcamino
Fred's like my hero today. Damn, that was good.

Anyway, I was too harsh on the Motion Theory guy (he was just tossing off a single comment and was apologetic about that part of his talk), and I was too harsh sputnik. Plus I did the same thing to sputnik he did to me--made up an argument he wasn't making.

46293[/snapback]

yeah you were a bit too harsh, when i finally watched the clip today... i was surprised to see it was just one comment... i was prepared for a 10 minute tirade. but it did start a great "what is art" discussion.

edit: motion theory guy, if you are reading this (which you probably are), dont take it personally when i said "poor baby motion theory guy", it was just for effect.

Edited by fredcamino

Guest Awesome Swelles

I just watched it now. And maybe mr. dunne is being a little unfairly criticised. I agree with fred that commercial art is still art, but when you do something personal it feels better. Not necessarily in a philosophical "what is art?" way, but because you're not doing something to (an) order, as part of a bigger group. I think he was just happy to be applying his motion theory skills to a personal project - his art as opposed to motion theory's.

Guest govinda
edit:  motion theory guy, if you are reading this (which you probably are), dont take it personally when i said "poor baby motion theory guy", it was just for effect.

46294[/snapback]

This is one time I doubt he stops by. These guys are too busy.

Yeah, I went off on a rant unfairly...

Guest SermonOfMockery

sometimes i get frustrated about doing "boring" or "lame" work for clients but fuck, even the lamest project beats the hell out of my days working 60+ hours a week in a windowless print shop running a copier and doing bindery for an alcoholic, abusive fuckhole boss. so yeah...

Edited by SermonOfMockery

Guest sputnikk
What about a museum? Are you making shit up that you think I think? Because I don't think that. Richard Serra's works mostly aren't in museums.

please note the smilie. I was merely bringing up the museum thing to illustrate how I think you are putting all sorts of personal definitions on the the term "art" that IMO have very little to do with wether something can be considered art or not. The museum is just an extreme extrapolation of that and I didn't want to suggest that you actually hold that view (although I'm sure there are still many people who do!)

and this illustrates my point further. I don't neccesarily agree that the ingredient that makes something art, is it's "profoundness", or the amount you get paid to do it, or the amount of credit you take for it, or that you have to be a certain age to do art (apparently if you're 23 you cannot be a "real" artist).

And i'm not saying that design always equals art, because it doesn't. But the two can certainly overlap, also in (commercial) motion graphics.

Edited by sputnikk

Guest parallax

Fred's more on the money then he seems to realize. Most of the Dutch/Flemmish masters were working on commissions, and made portraits for money.

Even the nightwatch was a commissioned job, or do you think Rembrandt painted in his spare time while flipping burgers at Wendy's, and spending time on teengothsartforum.com?

Guest govinda
please note the smilie...

46416[/snapback]

You're right. I completely missed that. Aw man, I feel like even more of a jerk now.

Gabe Dunne, if you're out there, you're okay by me.

Guest sputnikk
You're right. I completely missed that. Aw man, I feel like even more of a jerk now.

Gabe Dunne, if you're out there, you're okay by me.

46452[/snapback]

hehe, it's allright man :)

Guest nutrition_facts

just when i was thrilled to read the name "Richard Serra" in this forum..... govinda had to end up agreeing with everyone else.

it's creative, artistic in some ways, but especially.... well crafted, as govinda put it. really don't know what to think about these issues.... because on one hand museum and gallery art tends to be a bit uptight and prone to people who have clever rhetoric rather than good art, but on the other had commercial art.... is...lol...commercial.

it makes a statement for a company and the person who makes that statement possible (and beautiful) goes home happy with the check, while the company keeps on seeking profit, further taking the world into oblivion.

decisions, decisions.....

Guest Awesome Swelles

When the flush of a newborn sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,

Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mold;

And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,

Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves: "It's pretty, but is it Art?"