Sign in to follow this  
Guest govinda

iTunes Eminem Ad

Guest fredcamino
Damn, that was RAW, throwin it up like that.

46678[/snapback]

dayuuum... gold frontz and platinum rimz! thown down on the psyop tizip! hoodie capz n aeresol canz i how i roll. PEACE.

Guest Douglas

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1318

"The commercial takes a new three-dimensional video approach to the "silhouette" ads popularized in Apple's recent iPod television campaigns, combining an iconic effect with music video-style filmography.

Jobs told the crowd that Apple had been working on the ad concept for two-and-a-half years. "It takes our silhouette campaign up to a whole new level," he said."

Guest Self_90
pocket full of phat capz

46703[/snapback]

Oh yea ..German Outlines, NY Thins, German Fats,Needle Cap...but i like tha Rusto Fats !

LOL !!

Jobs told the crowd that Apple had been working on the ad concept for two-and-a-half years. "It takes our silhouette campaign up to a whole new level," he said."

outch!!

I saw this startling side by side comparison to the Psyop 'Lugz' spot. Wow.

http://www.coudal.com/i/ipod.jpg

Guest fishface

LOL. Two years. I wonder who did these spots? Anyone know? I can't wait to see the web page of the design house that takes cred for redsigning 'their' ipod masterpiece.

hehehehe. (excitement!)

Guest Rothermel

I just saw the ad on tv last night.... I have to say it looks a bit amateur for apples level. Almost like some students thought it would be cool to do for a portfolio piece, they show it to apple because Steve Jobs is one of the kids uncles, and BAM its aired. I dont like it at all. Anyone fess up yet?

Logan did the other Ipod ads..

46771[/snapback]

Guest C-FU

2 years ago they could have put paintdrips and I would have been saying "holy shit that was cool." A bit to late to splat some paint and mistake it for graffiti. Then again I still would have said LUGZZZZZZZ sells IPODs now?????

Guest TrabajoSucios

i know it might sound stupid dont burn me for asking but is the bg still images? how do you do the paint splatters and drips?? ..... i kno i know im a n00b

Guest yuppster

"This ad was done by Logan (not by pysop who did the Lugz ad) and it was also directed by Mark Romanek. And yes it is a bad rip off.. the lugz spot is a lot better."

-someone here

Guest govinda

This is like the dam bursting in the weirdest place. For as much as the motion world can be in an uproar, it's in an uproar over this.

Word is that it's Logan like Awesome Swelles says. They're slumming if so. Their work is good enough to withstand the min-shitstorm easily.

Ooops, cross-posted with yuppster.

Guest yuppster

From this article:

Justin Booth-Clibborn, executive producer for Psyop, said his firm has endured its share of copycats and there are no plans to "make waves". Still, he admits that even he was struck by the similarities.

"Of all the times that things look like our work, it is the most strikingly similar," he said.

Guest mofresh

Dont really like it myself. to all over the show for me. kinda a let down that it was logan, but oh well.

dam paint drips... sick of those, i have to say im guilty for using them thou in my early work. paint drips are becoming such a cliche, thats its almost a cliche to say that theyre cliche, if that makes any sense

Guest Scorch

"The mere possibility that Apple swiped something from Lugz has created the presumption that the Lugz spot was something worth stealing. In this case, plenty of viewers will find each commercial a noisy bore. Whatever the legal ramifications of the matter, the phrase 'intellectual property' sounds mildly absurd when applied to video of some guy thrashing around and blustering on an orange-tinted screen."

now that's just a silly comment if ever I read one.

Guest chriskelley
"The mere possibility that Apple swiped something from Lugz has created the presumption that the Lugz spot was something worth stealing. In this case, plenty of viewers will find each commercial a noisy bore. Whatever the legal ramifications of the matter, the phrase 'intellectual property' sounds mildly absurd when applied to video of some guy thrashing around and blustering on an orange-tinted screen."

now that's just a silly comment if ever I read one.

47929[/snapback]

You know what they say, ignorance is bliss.

Here is the full Blog posting that contains that blurb from above:

Is the Lugz spot even worth stealing?

Flame the comments section at will.

Edited by chriskelley

Guest yuppster

nextseason - I think we're pretty sure Logan did it.

govinda, amazing comment on that adweak article... thank you!!!!

Guest Awesome Swelles

The adfreak writer does seem a little blinkered about the Lugz ad. But it is worrying to hear people wondering about an intellectual property claim.. This is the sort of thing that you don't want copyright to protect. Copyright is good at protecting literal copying (ie if I duplicate DVDs). But non-literal copying is a very slippery slope and very soon you will find that you are no longer protecting the expression of the work (the frames that comprise the lugz spot itself), you will be protecting the abstract ideas behind the spot. And that's bad for everybody.

I know that sounds like a cop out. Because there is something offensive about seeing something so similar to someone else's work that it seems to be plagiarised. But it is incredibly (perhaps impossibly) difficult to draw a line at which you can say something has been copied, as opposed to "inspired".

Guest govinda

You're right I think.

The punishment has to be a swarm of public scorn that leaves a lasting impression like fish-hooks in their scrota. Part of that might be blather about hauling them all off to civil court, so let's just let that theme go on, if only to trouble their sleep. In my own world of Fantasy Morality Points, I think:

-5 for Apple--lately they insist on not caring about originality in their ads

-3 for Chiat--they don't mind settling for swiping ideas if the client is Apple.

-2 for Logan--they're not going to say no to the project, but they're culpable for it. Should they have made it somehow less like Lugz? Or was it, in their mind, a tribute that it reproduced the look?

But everyone's own Vorpal Sword may have different hit points on this.

Guest SermonOfMockery

god govinda comes up with some bizarre references... +5 Vorpal Sword indeed

Guest parallax

Although this is pretty blatant, i think there nothing much you can and might want to do about, like Awesome Swelles said. I don't even have the faintest idea what effect this might have on Logan's clientele, but i sure didn't expect them to rip off one of the most well known shops in the biz.

It's like those Biggie Smallz look-a-likes who record albums that are an exact copy of the original, only this time they re-recorded and recreated they entire composition with 3rd grade musicians and singers. Then they drop the album under the name of Smiggie Ballz, and sell them for $4.99 at the grocer.