Sign in to follow this  
Guest govinda

iTunes Eminem Ad

Guest mute

that spot is still airing over here (ireland) and i guarantee that the ad execs will wet themselves and attempt a few rip offs of 'that Apple ad'..!...

only they'll be selling beer... or mortgages... or toilet rolls....

(or maybe even shoes?)

Guest C-FU

Maybe paint drips is a new wave of bad graffiti. what I mean by "bad" is scribbled symbols with dryed up magic markers. Easy, simple to apply, and your a rebel (cough: biter) for doing so.

Next it will be paint drips with shine applied.

Shine on, shine on.

Edited by C-FU

Guest MBX

it's funny that you thought it was psyop...

when i first saw the clip i thought how unoriginal it was and not even super-highend as i expect for an apple commercial in terms of design or quality. they didn't even animate the main-character in 3d as psyop did few years ago with the lugz commercial. therefore i had expected at least a better quality in other areas.

i don't know if logan was totally responsible for this direction & design (and not being "fucked" by an agency) but if, then it's really disappointing...

Edited by MBX

Guest yuppster

From Lugz: NEW YORK, NY (October 25, 2005) – In 2002 Lugz footwear unveiled an innovative, edgy advertising campaign featuring an anonymous silhouette man set against an urban scene in red, orange, yellow and black and brought to life by the rap music of Funkmaster Flex. Just recently, Apple Computer unveiled their new ad campaign featuring the silhouette of rap artist Eminem set against an urban scene in red, orange, yellow and black.

The similarities between the two commercials are garnering national attention from outlets such as The New York Times, “Is Imitation Flattery, Theft or Just Coincidence?” and ADWEEK, “Is Apple’s Eminem Spot Too Much of an Encore?”

“If you look at these spots, common sense would tell you that there’s a problem here. The Apple commercial uses the most powerful elements of our campaign, making the ads disturbingly similar,” said Larry Schwartz, executive vice president and principal of Lugz. “We are looking into the circumstances under which this could have happened, and the effect on our creative and intellectual property, which Lugz plans to aggressively protect,” continued Schwartz.

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/bra...responds_t.html

Guest noodles

well this is all great publicity for psyop....they should be greatful to Logan for ripping them off!

or wait..maybe its the other way round...Logan is getting plenty publicity for ripping off psyop...

either way, they're both getting plenty of air time.

Edited by noodles

Guest yuppster

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Here's the full credits off AdCritic:

Client:

Apple

Agency:

TBWA/Chiat/Day - Los Angeles

Creative Director:

Duncan Milner

Eric Grunbaum

Copywriter:

Krista Wicklund

Art Director:

Demian Olivera

Agency Executive Producer:

Cheryl Childers

Agency Producer:

Mike Refuerzo

Production Company:

Anonymous Content - Culver City

Director:

Mark Romanek

Logan

Executive Producer:

Lisa Margulis

Editorial Company:

Nomad Editing Company, Inc. - Santa Monica

Editor:

Glenn Martin

VFX:

Logan

Post Production:

CO3

Musical Artist:

Eminem

Album:

Factory Studios

Worldwide Chief Creative Officer:

Lee Clow

Album Title:

"Curtain Call"

Guest martober

The Eminem ad was pulled on purpose I reckon.

It remained part of the Steve Jobs presentation so that proves it was not removed for a legal reason. If that was true the clip would have been edited out of the Jobs stream.

It simply built up speculation and gossip prior to it's re-release. A clever ploy by an increasingly sneaky marketing team.

Guest MBX
The Eminem ad was pulled on purpose I reckon.

It remained part of the Steve Jobs presentation so that proves it was not removed for a legal reason. If that was true the clip would have been edited out of the Jobs stream.

It simply built up speculation and gossip prior to it's re-release. A clever ploy by an increasingly sneaky marketing team.

48010[/snapback]

but it's bad publicity not only for apple, but especially for the agency, logan, romanek and whoever was responsible for it.

Guest martober

There is an old adage "no publicity is bad publicity"

So the Apple ad bears similarities to the Lugz ad. So what?

Nobody "owns" the orange end of the spectrum.

Nobody "owns" silhoettes (except perhaps Apple iPod - but only in a marketing / branding sense)

Nobody owns Hip Hop or it's culture of graffitti.

There is no posibility of a legal case for copyright infringement suceeding. No one has rights to the creative properties I have listed.

There is only a case if the product being advertised attempts to "pass itself off" as the same brand as a competitor. Perhaps if the new iPod ad had been very similar to a recent Sony Walkman ad?

The Eminem Ad has a creative savy well in excess of the Lugz spot. I credit Logan and I think Psyop are pretty embarrased so much attention is being foisted on a sub par piece of work.

So the rumours of litigation are more than likely being stirred up by Apple or TBWA just to keep the product at the end on peoples tounges and typing fingers! ;)

Guest nextseason
There is an old adage "no publicity is bad publicity"

So the Apple ad bears similarities to the Lugz ad. So what?

Nobody "owns" the orange end of the spectrum.

Nobody "owns" silhoettes (except perhaps Apple iPod - but only in a marketing / branding sense)

Nobody owns Hip Hop or it's culture of graffitti.

There is no posibility of a legal case for copyright infringement suceeding. No one has rights to the creative properties I have listed.

There is only a case if the product being advertised attempts to "pass itself off" as the same brand as a competitor. Perhaps if the new iPod ad had been very similar to a recent Sony Walkman ad?

The Eminem Ad has a creative savy well in excess of the Lugz spot. I credit Logan and I think Psyop are pretty embarrased so much attention is being foisted on a sub par piece of work.

So the rumours of litigation are more than likely being stirred up by Apple or TBWA just to keep the product at the end on peoples tounges and typing fingers! ;)

48030[/snapback]

Note to martober:

Please stop smoking crack before posting on mograph.

Thank you.

Guest MBX

i hope i'm not misunderstanding you, but the eminem clip is pretty crap compared to lugz. especially since lugz is few years old and the character was even animated in 3d unlike eminem clip.

in the logan one you could have at least expected some more sophisticated texture-, grafitti- & environment animations because of this fact they didn't have to invest energies on 3d so much, but instead there are these annoying ink-drips.

blah blah

Guest yuppster
I credit Logan and I think Psyop are pretty embarrased so much attention is being foisted on a sub par piece of work.

48030[/snapback]

Ya, I bet Psyop is super embarrased... I'm totally getthing that vibe.

????????

Guest martober
Note to martober:

Please stop smoking crack before posting on mograph.

Thank you.

48034[/snapback]

I am fascinated by your response nextseason. Please let me explain any of my sobre opinions. What in particular do you think comes from a smacked up mind?

Guest martober

I think yuppster and MBX think the effectiveness of an ad campaign is in proportion to the amount of 3D in it.

Sorry mate, but it just ain't that simple.

iPod know the consumers have an emotional connection with Eminem. So why use an anonymous 3D figure?

The agency know this ad is visually quite a leap from the previous 'clean' iPod ads. So they have limited any extra textures or effects to maintain a degree of consistency helping the consumer continue to relate to this long running campaign.

:H

Guest MBX

no not at all. it isn't about 3d or not. that's not what i meant.

what i mean is since logan didn't have to invest energies on a complex 3d character animation they could have at least done a better design & animation work on the eminem clip. it really looks average.

Guest martober

Can anyone tell me who did this

Graffitti on subway train

?

This has a very similar feel to the movement in the Lugz ad. Perhaps it was Psyop? This is a page from the book PAUSE: 59 MINUTES OF MOTION GRAPHICS. I have also seen it in the ONEDOTZERO festival.

Let's find out who did this and if it was before or after the Lugz ad.

Guest nextseason
Can anyone tell me who did this

Graffitti on subway train

?

This has a very similar feel to the movement in the Lugz ad. Perhaps it was Psyop? This is a page from the book PAUSE: 59 MINUTES OF MOTION GRAPHICS. I have also seen it in the ONEDOTZERO festival.

Let's find out who did this and if it was before or after the Lugz ad.

48046[/snapback]

Psyop did that years ago dood.

Check their site.

Guest martober
Psyop did that years ago dood.

Check their site.

48047[/snapback]

Thanks. So I guess the Lugz agency saw that originally and asked Psyop to do it again with some other reference they may have found of 3D B-Boys. Psyop developed that idea of 3D graffitti themselves and so the Lugz spot was never "totally original."

No one has mentioned that the other iPod ad with U2 uses a black background with 35mm film, nuetral grading and the idea of zooming out from a TV screen to reveal another environment.

We have seen that combination of ideas many times but you can not copyright them. The same way you can not copyright the colour yellow, spray paint and hip hop.

Apple/Logan/TBWA are guilty of nothing more than the selection of appropriate elements to achive a marketing aim - the same way that the creaters of the Lugz spot selected their elements.

Another question for you. Who of you that support the outrage over the Eminem ad would still do so if the Hue was shifted to black on blue instead of orange?

Guest fredcamino
Another question for you. Who of you that support the outrage over the Eminem ad would still do so if the Hue was shifted to black on blue instead of orange?

my outrage would be lessened by 42%. if the hue was shifted to pink my outrage would be lessened another 17.3%.

Guest Tread
Thanks. So I guess the Lugz agency saw that originally and asked Psyop to do it again with some other reference they may have found of 3D B-Boys. Psyop developed that idea of 3D graffitti themselves and so the Lugz spot was never "totally original."

No one has mentioned that the other iPod ad with U2 uses a black background with 35mm film, nuetral grading and the idea of zooming out from a TV screen to reveal another environment.

We have seen that combination of ideas many times but you can not copyright them. The same way you can not copyright the colour yellow, spray paint and hip hop.

Apple/Logan/TBWA are guilty of nothing more than the selection of appropriate elements to achive a marketing aim - the same way that the creaters of the Lugz spot selected their elements.

48061[/snapback]

Why are you being so belligerent? They stole what Psyop created. Look at the two spots. Yes, the seperate elements by themselves cannot be claimed by anyone, but put together in the formula as psyop originally did, can be. And it's claimed by Psyop, that's all anyone is saying. You're waisting your time trying to argue it. You have no point.

Guest martober
Why are you being so belligerent? They stole what Psyop created. Look at the two spots. Yes, the seperate elements by themselves cannot be claimed by anyone, but put together in the formula as psyop originally did, can be. And it's claimed by Psyop, that's all anyone is saying. You're waisting your time trying to argue it. You have no point.

48081[/snapback]

Yes, I agree it is a formula claimed by Psyop and yes they have a right to claim it. You are correct Tread.

But the thing is, there is no point in Psyop, their client or anyone else trying to claim the formula - that is my point.

The formula: "yellow + black silhoette + graf + rap" is almost worthless in the grand scheme of things. It is a generic formula almost as easy to stumble across as the fact that the colour blue put with a gradient and a shape of a globe makes an appropriate news show opener.

Logan (if it was really them that did it, is that confirmed yet?) may have:

a: stolen the formula wholesale

b: arrived at the same formula by following their brief and presenting options to the client

This was Logan’s brief: It's an iPod ad so we need silhouettes and white wires (other ideas for white bits are welcome). Try to push it away from the clean look - that's getting a bit too familiar. We want it to feel a bit "street", obviously the music helps but we need a visually exciting signifier of edgy urban creativity. And make sure it's not too dark - remember it's the "holiday" season. We want the same but different.

A judge would rule the formula claimed to have been stolen is fairly easy to discover and has little value until combined with a catalyst such as a famous rapper or an animated 3D man. In legal terms a judge would conclude that Lugz and Psyop have merely benefited from the exposure the case has generated. Neither has suffered loss of earnings. The case is thrown out.

I don't think I am wasting my time. It is important we consider what is the central creative element that drives each bit of great work that we produce or see. What is the beef and what parts of our work are just appropriate surface dressing.

Here is another question for you to apply your powers of sarcasm to (or answer honestly): Who here has never ripped off anything or anyone ever?