Sign in to follow this  
Guest nutrition_facts

midi into after effects?

Guest nutrition_facts

is there any way of converting midi data into after effects keyframe data? i've been using soundkeys quite a lot, but i'd but rather export midi from cubase, convert it and load that info into AE.

cheers

Guest nutrition_facts

i want to convert midi notes into keyframes, not for generating sound. it shouldn't be that hard to write a script to do this..... midi is just numbers from 0 to 127 . the reason i'd like to have this is to speed up making videos for music i produce..... having keyframes for every element in the track, i can assign them to layer opacity and plugin controls, etc.

i want to make stuff *really* sync to music :D

Guest onebigidiot
i want to convert midi notes into keyframes, not for generating sound. it shouldn't be that hard to write a script to do this..... midi is just numbers from 0 to 127

47120[/snapback]

can you get the midi information out of the file into a text format that list the numbers?

Guest JMSDigital
can you get the midi information out of the file into a text format that list the numbers?

47146[/snapback]

motion can do that. i'm not shure if it translates the notes into keyframed values or just does visual representations for the notes. But it handles midi.

Guest onebigidiot

47146[/snapback]

There are a couple of freeware/shareware programs that can translate midi into a text file. Just google midi to text or something like that. After you get that figured out it should be relatively easy to write a script in aftereffects to use that info. If you get stuck send me a message or check AE Enhancers . Hope this helps.

Guest Sao_Bento
motion can do that. i'm not shure if it translates the notes into keyframed values or just does visual representations for the notes. But it handles midi.

47148[/snapback]

It does allow midi to generate keyframes, and includes controls for min, max, and scale.

Guest yuppster

nutrition, if you figure this out, please post the results. I'd be interested in it...

Guest J-Bird
nutrition, if you figure this out, please post the results. I'd be interested in it...

47291[/snapback]

me too!

Guest nutrition_facts

will do.

the idea is to take advantage of all the work done writing a track. virtual dj mixing software opens video files, and i have timecoded vinyls to control it from the decks.... i nearly came the other day when i opened a quicktime file in virtual dj, pulled the record back on the deck and the movie started going backwards (with minimal latency). so now it's either converting midi to after effects keyframe data, or exporting individual audio tracks from cubase and then using soundkeys.

producing audio and video.... dj'ing and vj'ing at the same time. a dancefloor filled with 700 highly people, 30 kw of sound.... massive projection area.... if all 700 people don't vanish in thin air and appear seconds later on the other side of the milky way.... i'm not gonna rest. yeaaaaaaaaah! teletransport IS possible.

Edited by nutrition_facts

Guest Sao_Bento
will do.

the idea is to take advantage of all the work done writing a track. virtual dj mixing software opens video files, and i have timecoded vinyls to control it from the decks.... i nearly came the other day when i opened a quicktime file in virtual dj, pulled the record back on the deck and the movie started going backwards (with minimal latency). so now it's either converting midi to after effects keyframe data, or exporting individual audio tracks from cubase and then using soundkeys.

producing audio and video.... dj'ing and vj'ing at the same time. a dancefloor filled with 700 highly susceptible (drugged) people, 15 kw of sound.... massive projection area.... if all 700 people don't vanish in thin air and appear seconds later on the other side of the milky way.... i'm not gonna rest. yeaaaaaaaaah! teletransport IS possible.

47402[/snapback]

For scratching on video, check out ScratchTV

Or, for the ultimate incarnation of such a thing, see original After Effects programmer and EBN member Greg DeCampo's Video Baby Grand Piano

Guest J-Bird
For scratching on video, check out ScratchTV

Or, for the ultimate incarnation of such a thing, see original After Effects programmer and EBN member Greg DeCampo's Video Baby Grand Piano

47406[/snapback]

Thanks for those links Sao Bento

Hi Poly,

I came across this discussion because I wanted to do the same thing two months earlier to see what that kind of video looks like. I’m a programmer who like to play with AE. As I couln’t find anything, I did a program with similar functions but not directly in AE because I don’t know midi very well nor javascript.
So I used the JavaSound API to extract midi data. Instead of dumping it in System.out, I arranged data and dumped it in a .jsx file full of keyframes.

I made those 2 videos with this program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ffcDuPNnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrrB_Gp3zdE

Your script is probably easier to use, but I tried it and it doesn’t work, even with the midi file you linked in your blog. It create a Nul object, then it’s blocked with a progress bar and the message « analyzing file name ». I have CS5.

Edited by barsichou

Hi there,

i really want to use a midi file in my composition but it seems not possible to do that with this plugin (@poly)

i tested that plugin on 5 machines and 5 different setups (mac & win, cs4-cs5-cs5.5-cs6) and everytime i can't get any further then the analyzing progress bar as barsichou mentioned.

is there anything i need to install in advance or anything else?

help would be highly appreciated!

cheers