Sign in to follow this  
Guest paperkut

can't defrag on my mac.... "B-trees Damaged"?

Guest paperkut

(first off, not sure where else to post this so i apologize in advance)

My drive is severely fragmented and i'd rather not start my next project until this issue is resolved. I own an iMac and when i run Disk First Aid it says "B-trees Damaged". Norton Utilities gives me a similar error message. Do any of you know what this means? Have you run into this? I can't find any information on the net regarding this so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

ry

seviin@shaw.ca

Guest paperkut

Happy to say, i resolved the issue and this is how i did it. Firstly you need an external drive, i'm using a lacie firewire drive. On it, you need to install DiskWarrior. Next you need to boot your computer off of an OS system disk. Finally, run diskwarrior when you're computer is up, this took care of the issue.

Guest firemind

Ahyes, Diskwarrior, the fix-it-all saviour for macosx. It has saved my ass at work often.

Guest Superbig

Just curious. ( I'm needing to do the same thing. )

Once you install DW on the external Hardrive. . . and once you've booted off a system install disk how do you access the diskwarrior off the external drive?

Not at home right now or else I'd just try it. Can you install DW on the external drive. Thought you could only store stuff. ( not too farmiliar. borrowing a ex.hd at the moment) anyhow I guess that's about it.

hollar!

Guest paperkut

When i boot off the system disk, my external firewire drive appears on the desktop. Should be no problem for you. Good luck.