Sign in to follow this  
Guest boywonder

The ever growing AE shortcut keys & tips thread!

EASTER EGG!!????

If u hit shift + double click in the effects window, u hear the Overflow Sheep !!! (when afterfx makes overflow u hear a sheep-error sound)

sheepafter.jpg:lol::lol::lol:

sorry for my english

EDIT: shit + click only

Edited by mariohyeah

Found a new one for me yesterday:

If you want to add a large number of comps to the render queue without having to go through each comp individually and add it, You can select as many as you want in the project window and drag them into the render queue. Bam.

Tip: Set one up first, so you get the render path set, then drag and drop the rest.

Edit:

Anybody know a hotkey to copy all the effects from a layer without having to open of the effects window and doing it manually? Much like in FCP how you can rightclick->copy attributes

TIA

I think you can simply duplicate the layer with the effects and select whatever comp or footage in project window and that duplicated layer in timeline...now..hit "apple+option+/"..this will change the layer source based on whatever you select in project window and remain the same efffect setting of that duplicated layer in timeline. This is how I do it.

Edited by Sophia

does any know how to have the comp window scale to a custom size, instead of the presets like 50 or 100, in ae.

This may not be the right way of doing it, but you could set your comp size to Fit Up To 100% and then just drag the resize handles around your comp window (in AE 7 anyway).

Lol. Just found this one by accident - you all might know it already, but for me it was like yay! - hitting ' will reveal/hide the safe frame.

Until now, i always had to click for it.

Use shift-option-click on layer properties in the timeline to make them disappear. Feels like shooting tin cans, useful when effects twirled down have more parameters than you want to edit.

Might have been mentioned already but option and left/right cursor on a layer (deselect any keyframes first) nudges the whole layer 1 frame in time back or forwards.

Anybody know a shortcut to do easy-ease-in on a mac? Shift-F9 always does slowmo-expose for me and I can't seem to disable it.

..as do the 1/2 buttons above q/w (all laptop mographers will know this very well)

my days of shake also has me hitting alt+1/2/3/4 for viewing rgba channels quite often, as well as hitting the ~ button to maximise the current focus window.

while your hand is up around those parts, the cmd/ctrl+1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/0 will bring toggle tool palettes on and off too. i dont use these much though.

Edited by alim

oh, one i use very often, being forced to deal with many layers (who doesn't?) - selecting a layer and hitting X will put it tompmost in the timeline window and "hide" the layers above it.

This comes especially usefull when working on a bottom layer you'd have to scroll to in order to access the controls.

Edited by T02

A new tip that I have been working with lately is using null layers to scale, move, rotate, etc a group of layers in After Effects while I am working with super complex compositions and a large amount of layers and keyframes. Then when I get done using the null layer, I just delete and it updates the parameters of the layers that were parented to the null without affecting keyframes. This has saved me a TON of while working in 3D space since most layers in 3D space are not the same scale to each other and have different anchor points.

Guest fletty

Anybody know a shortcut to do easy-ease-in on a mac? Shift-F9 always does slowmo-expose for me and I can't seem to disable it.

F9 = easy ease, Shift F9 = ease out, apple shift F9 = ease in

if the shortcuts trigger expose, go to system preferences, dashboard/expose, and change the expose shortcut to something other than F9 (like button 4 on your mouse)

Click on a layer and then Hide All Other Layers by pressing "Shift-Command-V"

How do you then bring back all the hidden layers?

Also, I didn't see this one for AE7 ...

With the timeline active hit "~" to have it fill your whole screen. Hit it again to return to normal view. I believe this works for any active palette.

if you wan to move your trimmed layer frwrd or bkwrd with in its trim. meaning. if you have a layer 30 sec long and you jsut wnat to use its middle 10 sec, trime the area by pressing alt + [ and Alt + ] then click Y and you can slide the layer frd or bkwrd with in the in - out points (your trimmed area)

Anyone knows a shortcut to switch between magnification ratios? I'd love to have the four resolutions on the first F keys. working on two 20"screens it can be a royal pain in the.. mouse to click on that little half inch button.

And how to switch to wireframe view?

I can offer :

SHIFT+COMMAND+V to paste a layer in the exact position of the time marker

thx

Let it be known that:

shift-option-command - V

..turns the visibility of a layer on and off.

shift-option-ctrl - V

is for those who like to do Windows®

===========

Witness hereunto that:

option/alt up & down selects the next layer above or below

That is all.