Sign in to follow this  
Guest laughingcolors

interview advice

Guest laughingcolors

hoping this interview this afternoon will be my last... i have a pretty good prep sheet , with questions/things to do/ask etc, but just curious what ya'll can reccommend...how do i stand out ?

Guest Beaver
Dont be creepy. Pretend that you have a life outside of motion graphics.

48965[/snapback]

Pretend - haha :)

Just be yourself, smile, and be positive. Don't say anything negative about past bosses or clients.

I think in this industry you can stand out by being on time, and generally looking put-together. Sounds obvious, but some people are so wrapped up in "being an artist" that they think they don't have to do any of those things - like they're exempt or something.

Edited by Angry Beaver

Guest laughingcolors

funny you mention on time. i'm ALWAYS early everywhere, especially since moving out to LA.. can never get the timing down out here

Guest kagu

I went on an interview one time wearing a suit, because that what I was always told to do. When I got there, they made fun of me for it saying "you dressed up just for us". Haven't worn a suit to an interview since. If you know someone on the inside, try to get a feel for the atmosphere before going in, that way you'll know how fake you'll have to be come interview time.

Guest laughingcolors
I went on an interview one time wearing a suit, because that what I was always told to do. When I got there, they made fun of me for it saying "you dressed up just for us". Haven't worn a suit to an interview since. If you know someone on the inside, try to get a feel for the atmosphere before going in, that way you'll know how fake you'll have to be come interview time.

48969[/snapback]

the prep sheet ihave said Khakis/Polo shirt deal. normally i wear a nice button down shirt and suit pants, is that too much?

Guest seabass

I've only had two interviews in this industry, and I got both jobs, so listen to me, I know what I'm talking about.

One interview I was severely hungover, to the point that I felt like the room was tilted and I was lying on my back while he was talking to me, the other one I was messed up on Vicodin(I had surgery two days before).

So yeah, try that.

Guest Beaver

Like Craig said I think it depends on the vibe, but the rule of thumb is to err on the side of overdressed. I've never worn a suit to a creative interview, but I've never worn jeans either.

What kind of place is it? Small shop? Big corp? For the small shop, I would say you're fine with the khakis and polo, but for a bigger company, you might want to spring for the dress shirt and pants, maybe even with a tie. With bigger companies, there's a better chance that it will be a panel interview, which means HR people and managers will be chiming in with their opinions on you, which will not be based on your creative abilities at all.

Guest Beaver
I've only had two interviews in this industry, and I got both jobs, so listen to me, I know what I'm talking about.

One interview I was severely hungover, to the point that I felt like the room was tilted and I was lying on my back while he was talking to me, the other one I was messed up on Vicodin(I had surgery two days before).

So yeah, try that.

48973[/snapback]

Yeah, and then you showed them your reel, and they were like, HIRE THIS DRUGGIE SON OF A BITCH!

Guest Nhowe

dont swear in the interview. lol...

the only resaon i tell you this is because i remember my boss getting an email from you when you applied at my old studio and you swore it in...and he was like im not hiring this guy. (i also think you refered to yourself in the 3rd person alot.)

;)

goodluck!!

Guest laughingcolors

defiantly changed my cover letter since than 8-)

i'll let ya know how it goes...though i never swore at all in my cover letter/ work etc

Edited by laughingcolors

Guest AMO

Don't show up too early, either.. some producers aren't to keen on hiring somebody who's a tight ass. If you feel the interview going to hell just stare them between the eyes like Eastwood and they'll probably hire you cause they're scared. :D

Guest fredcamino

the only resaon i tell you this is because i remember my boss getting an email from you when you applied at my old studio and you swore it in...and he was like im not hiring this guy. (i also think you refered to yourself in the 3rd person alot.)

;)

goodluck!!

48977[/snapback]

hahah, you cursed! lol

Guest thomwill

;)

goodluck!!

48977[/snapback]

i remember that. i didn't realize who it was tho.

Guest pixelthief

I for one think it's a total waste of time/effort to dress up for these things. Not only will it not help you, there is a good chance it could work against you.

Guest fredcamino
I for one think it's a total waste of time/effort to dress up for these things.  Not only will it not help  you, there is a good chance it could work against you.

49001[/snapback]

do you recommend nudity?

Guest clintvideo

I had a friend who applied for a seasonal job at Sam Goody. When they asked him the usual BS answers in the interview ...like "What would you do if you saw an employee stealing something from the store?" he gave answers like "help him carry it to his car." Originality like that didn't get him the job.

In all seriousness, showing up on time and actually looking a person in the eye will go a long way. It seems that an actual work ethic is very hard to find these days, this coming from all my friends that own businesses. We ran into the same problem trying to staff technical positions at my last broadcast TV job, too.

Cf

Guest pixelthief

partial, yes.

assless pants would be a step in the right direction.

do you recommend nudity?

49007[/snapback]

Edited by pixelthief

Guest ONA1R Studios

Don't bring your girlfriend to the interview.

Ask Scott Frizzle. . .

or Ken Virgins @ ARtifact Design

hehe

C

Guest parallax

Tell the interviewer what colors his bedsheets are, and what his wife's maiden name is. With any luck, you'll get yourself a nice 6 figure paycheck along with a nice German sportscar.

Guest silatix

i once made up a cooking list of how to baste a turkey in a cover letter (it was a job i was dying for).. i guess they didnt like my sense of humor :)

Guest ONA1R Studios

(i also think you refered to yourself in the 3rd person alot.)

- Listen to David Cross -  "Shut up you fucking Baby" stand-up CD.  Ill upload it for  you. . .

48977[/snapback]

:lol: