Sign in to follow this  
Guest lowtech

Played Out Effects

Guest pixel_pimp

Shine, Light Zooms, especially in movie marketing. Not to knock the Trapcode guys, they make great plug-ins. Shine has saved my butt many times. It's not an ugly effect...just kind of played out.

Guest firemind

Getting kinda sick of the 'organic vector path branching out' thing. It's been done to death, as has 3d grafitti.

Guest renascent

glad you asked ;)

Shine (as mentioned) its like the new lensflare...

Ribbons, fuckin ribbons flying everywhere...

2d vector stuff silhouttes on 3d layers in Afx....

Guest parallax

-Techy-Grid-GUI-Crosshair thingies.

Fortunately, lots of people are realising how crappy they are these days. (of course, not if done properly)

-Split screens

Guest soulmobile

1_Abstract 3D!... er... mmmh ...there's already been a discussion about abstract 3D...

2_Those flat, vector arrows moving in 3D space (Gmunk was doin' them more than three years ago...).

3_those flat, vector, kind of metro maps that grow and/or move in the composition.

Nevertheless, I believe that "played out" effects can still be pretty good if done better than the original, or if used in a new, different, or surprising way. Actually that's how motion graphics is evolving.

Guest fredcamino

rainbows, growing trees, and any sort of deer, unicorn, or squirrel

of course these things are also very much in demand right now, i do believe

Guest mistahle

thanks for describing my entire arsenal, :)

it's tough not to rely on those gimmicks though when the budget is the size of a McDonald's lunch.

as long as it is appropriate for the subject matter, Shine away!!! until Lens Flare becomes cool again. Can't wait!!!!

Guest Sao_Bento

Tired: Trees, skateboarder footage, Helvetica Neue, growing vector art, matrix bullet time, 45 degree angles, icon style aliased pixels, bad drawings billed as "illustration", design for design's sake, not having a budget, Cel shaded 3D, T26, the death of originality in hip hop, Wired magazine's wired/tired/expired.

ReWired: Avenir, kerning, colors, appropriate context, knowing about the history and purpose of graphic design and film making.

PreExpired: the resurgence of the "grunge" look.

Guest firemind

Add bright pink and extruded logos to the list :P

Sorry kids, no time for a 2004 make-over just yet, wayyyy too busy with crap.

Guest igorschmigor

and of course concentric circles blotted all over the place and blocks of tiny meaningless text flickering around.

Guest PrsROSE

i def. agree with all these submissions... i think the vector-style 'target commerical/mtv commercial/ hip hop wannabe look' is sickening and way over done... I may be just a bit bitter about it though bc its def. not my 'style' and i sense i dont fit in with most of the current design trends...

I'm just sick of seeing the same graphic style in just about every commercial motion graphic commercial... website... etc...

~jeff.

Guest fredcamino

no offense to the buck boys re: "any sort of deer" of course. a buck is a highly respectable deer. those does though... that's another story all together.

Guest pixel_pimp

well now that all these styels are played out, i'm really pissed because i've been trying to bit these looks for months now. i can't figure out shine! :) Also how do you do the dripping paint, I keep jacking up GL1 lens, and what dingbat arrow is gmunk really using? and I still can't get the 3D graffiti look. Oh well the Fox exec's wouldn't buy off on it anyway, back to Trajan and Impact that slam down in 5 frames and drifts back.

Guest lowtech

wow, thx for the reply. you guys have no idea how helpfull your input is going to be for me. You see i'm currently at VFX school learning compositing but I favored mg more so i'm making an mg majority reel. My idea so far doesn't have glowing shine, or useless grids, or over done hip-hop stuff. I guess I wasn't the only guy who thought that stuff wouldn't work to get me a job. But anyhow again thx for the input.

Guest jayse

Just signed on specifically to reply to this thread...

It seems the ONLY thing REALLY played out is how designers LOVE to complain that other graphic designer's work is 'played out.'

I've noticed this 'trend' since my intro into design in 1999 when designers were bemoaning grunge text. I've noticed it since the 'flash vector look' - since the 60's look - 70's look - every look and every new thing designers love to complain that it's worn its welcome.

Does this make those designers look sophisticated and ahead of the game? I'm sure that's what they want people to think... But I'm skeptical. I think it just makes them look common, predictable and sad.

Whining: this is the new trend, (since forever!) and most of you have fallen victim to it. And, boy is it tirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred.

How about just coming up with some new stuff and appreciating everybody else's hard work.

Long-Live Trendwhores!

;-P

Cheers,

// jayse

ps - no offense meant to anyone - I just get tired of these kind of posts and think better of my fellow designers than that.

Guest igorschmigor

"Long live trendwhores" :lol:

I still like quite a few of the trendy animations, like i said in another thread ("the style is now") it will take ages before i become tired of certain styles.

But there has to be something individual in every piece, otherwise it has no soul or personality. Just putting established elements together is like playing with lego: anyone could come up with something. Circles, 45 degrees angles and some abstract 3D don't make someone a designer yet.

Personnally i don't say anything to sound sophisticated. Nor to make others look bad. It's just undeniable that certain things are very overused.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread made you join.

I think i will start a new one called "softimage sucks" to provoke Psyop and others to join too. :wink:

edit: hey, it's Jayse Hansen, creator of the "shine wall"-tutorial at creativecow!

Guest Sao_Bento

I think threads about played out effects are now played out - almost as much as the phrase "played out". Ham radio performance art, however is "off the heezy".

Guest igorschmigor

what, is that the same Sao as the one who said MK12's stuff is getting kinda old and Nando is about as boring as abstract 3D??? I thought you'd be the first one to add a line in this thread. I'm confused. :|

Guest Sao_Bento

Yes, I was just making a joke about how quickly trends change by suggesting that the thing I was posting was already "played out" by the time it was posted (playing off Jayse's comments) and then exaggerating the point by using some other, even more played out lingo ("heezy").

In the end, I still stand by my crotchety old ideas about design vs. trends, however, I do sort of owe Psyop an apology as they have finally moved beyond cartoon shaders.

I'd also like to point out that while my ideas about design may differ, the technical level and production value of work by the likes of Psyop, Mk12, Nando, etc. is above reproach.

Guest igorschmigor

Ahh, i see, it's this humour thang. Wits, irony and all that strange stuff. Never understood it.

Guest govinda

And c'mon, this is our chance to play-act the Daddy, plunk ourselves down in the golden throne, heave up our sceptre and imagine we're at the godhead.

I got me an MBA many years back. It was all 'case studies' of situations that actually happened to real companies like AT&T and Boeing. We all sat at the godhead for those two years, tossing off our better solutions, accusing the CEOs of being clueless, smoking our own shit with great gusto. How could Hudepohl not know their own internal cost of capital? Dude, when we're in charge, like the minute we graduate, things will be different.

Of course we graduated and became junior brand manager for Avery Dennison yellow highlighters, inventory control for Del Monte jello cups and other sniveling things. Suddenly our theories about had all the relevance of a space shuttle spot-welder with big ideas about flying to the Andromeda galaxy.

It's great fun while there's a forum for it. But once there's responsibility, the true nature of the task reveals itself.

Yo Jayse, welcome fellow Vegas boy!

-govinda

Guest jayse

Heheh - u guys are funny.

K - glad to see there's SOME sane p33pz here! ;-)

Igor - ur posts make me laugh - I like ya. And yeah... I did that as part promotion for Peder at Trapcode - when shine was just getting off the ground. I must admit I don't use shine as much because it's so used by others and tends to get so many groans when it's seen. So yes, i'm aware of all that - just don't design by it. I do still use it for lighting effects however - in different ways than it was originally intended.

Sao - I'll have to definitely check out that Ham radio art... fo sheezay

Govinda - Thanks for the welcome! I luv ur analogy as well. are u in vegas? There's no motion graphics in vegas! ;-)

// jayse