Sign in to follow this  
Guest mistahle

Corporate Comm. : Pushing the inner edge.

Guest mistahle

The demand for motion graphics in Corporate Communications is rising rapidly. You know the kinds, b to b, b to i,...And of course, it is definitely not as glamorous as those broadcast jobs for MTV, thetruth, etc...

The question is: Do we actually have classes within the mograph field? You know, broadcast designers looking down at corporate comm. folks for not doing anything edgy and popular?

Are there no cool, edgy designers doing cool, edgy corporate stuff? Do you guys know of any?

I've had my share in both, and to be honest, I do enjoy doing boring Corp. Comm. projects a lot. It's the idea of designing for something so functional, so direct. And of course, you struggle, you fight for the little creative ground. With the right clients, you gain some and that makes a big difference.

I think we have a lot of top-notch talents in the broadcast side. Hopefully, we'll see the corporate side turning pretty soon.

Guest Sao_Bento

It's really more of a caste system. It's fairly hard to break through the layers (anyone tried to get agency level work in SF ?). Those on the top of the pile are temporary design superstars like Kyle Cooper or David Carson. They get to do the projects they want to do in the way they want to do them and get major pay for it.

The difference between these guys and somebody that works for a corporation is that these guys are more like artists who do what they feel like and the client thanks them for accepting their project while a guy in a corporate design dept. is way undervalued and gets treated like some guy that works at kinkos. That doesn't mean they can't do great stuff, it's just that it's a little harder to get the people in power to know you exist, much less trust you to deliver their "very important" message - I mean, you don't even have an MBA!

People can say what they want about it being the designer's resposibility to make something cool, but the reality is that you have to have the right kind of projects - When's the last time you saw a design competition won by the guy who does the On-Air for the Home Shopping Network? Never, because of the nature of the channel, it is pretty much impossible to to do anything other than rearrange where the product description and price are.

In my final act of disembowling brevity, let me say that it's important to know what you want to get out of your design career. If you want to be a superstar, you've got to take that path, with the full knowledge that it is anarchistic and fleeting at best. The motion graphics world is just as fickle as the rest of the art world - get the buzz going and you're "in" (for a while). If taking care of your family is more important, maybe a corporate job is a better move - more stability, benefits, etc. All you have to do is tame your ego.

Guest govinda

In my final act of disembowling brevity, let me say that it's important to know what you want to get out of your design career.

'Disembowling [sic] brevity,' typo or no, is the best word combo I've seen today. Thanks for that.

Your final paragraph about putting bread on the table bears on the 'played out effects' thread. I mean, say you're not the CD, and the CD's boards call for you to do something you consider 'played out.' In such a case one is wise to shut one's pie hole and smack on that glow for all it's worth.

Guest mistahle

you don't have to work for a corporation to do corporate work. A lot of post/ production companies and design firms do both broadcast and corporate work. In fact, you shouldn't work at a corporation unless you just want to make a living. Corporations who seek outside vendors to promote themselves care more and are willing to open up more.

I think the caste system is bogus. It's a lot easier to design for MTV than it is for Microsoft. MTV audience consists of teenagers and care-free dudes. Microsoft investors, however, control the economies of several countries. And modern motion graphic design is dictated not by designers but businessmen who allow them to operate within a certain range. You can be "creative" as long as you fall within the dotted circle.