Sign in to follow this  
Guest lowtech

Important Attributes Demo Reel

Guest lowtech

What would you say is more important in a student demo reel for motion graphics.

A. Loading up a reel with all kinds of cool effects, fast movements, and an all around intese reel. ie. flashy things, glowy things, 3D angular views and camera rotations...

B. Making a reel with an overall look and feel. Only putting in effects and transitions that help the idea or point of the reel to reach the viewer. Basically focusing on the overall message that's sent to the viewer.

C. Your a moron, this is how you do it.

Guest firemind

It totally depends on where you apply. If you apply to styleshops, let 'em know you can do all that crazy shit. If you apply for a more 'serious' job, I think they'll be more interested in your ability to tell (and sell) a story.

Guest lowtech

cool. i find that telling/selling a story is what i like todo more so they'll be my main reel. but i'm also considering putting a whole bunch of crazy stuff in the into and/or outro of my reel. ie. brake downs etc.

Guest Sao_Bento

I agree with Firemind that you have to know who your audience is (the potential employer).

I've been involved in hiring people and the main thing I look for is someone's ability to recognize the tone of the subject material and then design something that is complimentary to that tone. Doing so in a style that adds some kind of insight to the subject matter is an even bigger plus. Technical things can be taught, but good instincts cannot.