Sign in to follow this  
Guest soulmobile

The Style is NOW!

Guest soulmobile

okay, oookay...

we had a lot of fun (and some intimate satisfactions) whith the played out effects topic, but now comes the difficult part... lets turn round the issue...

_what do you think are the best techniques and the more original effects at the moment?

_Which ones do you think that will be successful being aroud for some time in the future (before inevitably play out)?

_and which ones have been around for a long time WITHOUT being played out?!

Guest firemind

Personally I was pleasantly surprised by Psyop's Bombay vid. It had the feeling of an animated watercolor painting.

With the advent of sketch&toon and the popularity of C4D in the biz my guess is we'll be seeing a ton of faux painted/handdrawn 3D stuff soon, as well as whatever trapcode's latest plugs are (lux for instance). This biz is as much technology driven as it is by creativity, it seems whenever a new toy comes out ppl jump on it. All this ofcourse will eventually be played out.

What will never be played out? Telling a good story in a clever way that fits both the message and the sender.

Guest parallax

What will never be played out? Telling a good story in a clever way that fits both the message and the sender.

Exactly.

IMHO the style almost always has to serve a purpose, or else it would be l'art pour l'art. Unless all you're going for is form, and not content, wich can be very cool also.

1 trend i've been seeing lately is a usage of 50's horror/sci-fi style imagery.

Guest renascent

dont forget that trends in our little design land are often easy technically created, either by the use of a certain plugin, or its a really easy technique or style to make.

my take on it is that the people that do not choose those "easier ways out", stand out from the growd... and usually make highly technically skilled work, mix that with great concept and execution... :)

Guest Sao_Bento

NOW: My prediction is that the speed of the new generation of radiosity renders is making it a practical technology to use in animation. Render speed will lead to a lot more design that takes place at a CG "location".

1 YR: New, cheap matchmoving software will bring live action back into play.

Next Gen firewire at 3 Gb will allow apple to make uncompressed video available over firewire. The down side is that camera manufacturers, for some reason, never understood that compression is a bad thing, so they will keep striving to destroy your footage by MPEG2ing it at the point of capture.

1.5 YRS: Digital, progressive scan video at 1+ megapixel, nearly uncompressed resolution will be introduced, not by the traditional video people, but by makers of digital still cameras. The result is a return to film style production which requires more crew, photographic knowledge, outboard sound recorders (digital this time), and produces flawless chroma keys. Maybe video camera manufacturers will start to get the picture about compression (ha ha- i made a funny).

I'll also take this opportunity to commend Psyop for finally moving beyond the cel shaded look (as if they would care what I think).

Guest igorschmigor

But there's already a lot of matchmoving going on, that's not going to be more hip in the next few years than it is now.

Personnally i wouldn't mind seeing more of the 70's / 80's disco-hippie-flowing retro look. Will take a while before i'm sick of it.

I bet firemind is right about the 3D-sketch rendering being used a lot, but it's so easy that it will be overused in no time at all.

I think the style in general is more important than the technical side. Most people have no idea how easy or difficult an effect is, therefore highly technical skills impress us a lot more than they impress the average audience.

Maybe handdrawn animations will become more popular, because people will be missing it after two decades of mainly computer-generated animations.

Guest govinda

Am I high or am I seeing more actual illustrators working in motion. Their work is almost always more individual. Nando Costa's wife, Saiman Chow... This biz is a hybrid of people with art/design schooling, film schooling, web design schooling, and autodidacts. The first of the three might be making a bigger blip.

Now govinda is guessing but here's a theory. With more motion graphics programs in the schools, people with wider ranges of talents are dipping their toes in. It's not impossible anymore for an illustrator to take a motion graphics course as an elective. After graduation, they're thinking of animation as less Disney/Warner Bros/Klasky-Czupo and more Shynola. Thank god, in a way, because the style landscape will spread out.

Guest soulmobile

I think that it's pretty much a mixture of technique and style.

Of course the former can be taught, red in the manuals and learned by the most, while the latter is more about individual sensibility, culture, and personal interest (and time you can invest) in the mograph biz.

It's much MUCH nicer for us to believe that style will be the key in the future... since technology is getting more and more cheap and easy to use, your bank manager will be soon able to create some decent motion graphics from his latest winter vacation with his family, with vector 3D and all the rest...

The difference between us and him can be synthesised in the following points:

1_knowledge of various software, and of the quickest way to get to the wanted result

2_speed - speed - speed... the ability and habit to work faster

3_knowledge of "cultural" aspects: what is new, "hip", or whatever looks "sooo fresh" to most people and clients at the moment

4_knowledge of the "artistic" aspects of our JOB, and all the abilities that have to do with deep, inner sensibility (color, dynamics, timing...)

Points 1 and 2 are more technical, and can be achieved by (almost) anybody.

Points 3 and 4 are more about being a real professional, being passionate about it, and having a lot of experience.

But I think the point is our job IS culture, and more, it's CONTEMPORARY culture, and that's the good thing AND the bad thing about it!

So here are a couple of cues I've been thinking about:

We are still too much influenced by software: If AE comes out with 3D, everybody is gonna' be doin those vector arrows going all over the 3D space.

We are so fashinated (maybe too much) by the NEW (and disgusted by the old and played out...)... Actually being so projected in the future generates fashions that become so big, as last so shortly in time.

Same principle of inflation in economy.

Think about old classics like Pablo Ferro and Saul Bass... don't they still look fresh, AND get to comunicate the right message?

I personally believe that effects like shine, have become CLASSICS, rather than being played out. They jumped from the category of "cool and new" to the category of "institutions", and as such they will always be there, irreplaceable for some types of works.

...?! I'm talkin' too much... stop.

Guest Sao_Bento

Igor - >>But there's already a lot of matchmoving going on, that's not going to be more hip in the next few years than it is now.<<

But that's only going on at the high-end right now. The small shops, one man bands, and amatuers will always want to emulate the big boys.

Ultimately, matchmoving is just a piece of the puzzle that allows more control over the scene. Control is what it's all about. Regardless of the style used, the abiltiy to add or subract elements from live action will be an essential element in the future of video production. Having camera data will eventually become as essential as being able to edit the footage you shot - think of it as editing within the scene.

Guest parallax

Content = King

As said before, as long as you are able to tell original and thought provoking stories, and/or are able to bring across information in a clear way, it doesn't really matter what the current trend is.

You WILL stand out if you do all of the above in a innovative and inspiring way.

In image based advertising, its more geared toward visuals and trends, and there will always be people jumping on the "current-trend-bandwagon"

Being truly original will always turn heads, as we are all inspired by probably the last 100 years of human culture and arts.

Guest soulmobile

You are right parallax.

The problem is that often clients think about motion graphics only when they actually DON'T have a story to tell. They often come up with a bunch of photos and/or a catalog and want the job done in such a short time...

It's rare to be in the situation to describe a story, because of the lack of time, and because if your video is about socks or about some excavator's spare part, it would somehow be embarassing and pretentious.

Thats when you have to find the right strategy, and "just" try to invent something that works visually.

Guest igorschmigor

back to the topic:

I have the impression that immitating or using software-errors, and transmission-disturbances is becoming popular. Together with disturbing / irritating noisy sounds.

the ronin's "educate innovate": http://computerlove.net/theronin/exhib.php...hibitionId=2102

renascents "archetype": http://www.renascent.nl/m19b.htm

feniks' motionreel in progress: http://www.feniks-cg.be/moreeltest3.mov

I don't know how old the first two are, but i didn't notice this movement until i saw all three in a row. I'm not a big fan of it though (i do like the animations, but the sounds are terrible).

Guest soulmobile

I remember all that was very popular in websites three-four years ago.

I agree with you about sounds, but I guess that without that irritating noise the full interference effect would'nt be achieved.

Guest renascent

its fair enough to say ive used distortion stuff on a few pieces, funny you choose to show that one of mine... as the "distortion" isnt very obvious there... its completely synced to the audio, its an abstract shape rendered reacting to the sound... then used as a mask in AE, showing the same footage 4 frames back.

i used "real" distortion in aerial, shinjitsu, semi perm... as an obvious video mailfunction...

chris cunningham, second bad vibel clip inspired me to do so...

and surely audio is a manner of personal taste.

Guest firemind

Getting back to the cheap matchmoving software, it's already here:

http://www.ssontech.com/mmove.htm

This package has been causing quite a storm in the CG world because of it's price and ability to solve shots Boujou (current matchmoving king of the hill) can't.

Guest igorschmigor

renascent: yes well, i wasn't just talking about transmission-error type of distortions but about immitating software errors in general like in the rigging of your character where you excluded some vertices from the (physique?) modifier on purpose. I like that. Just the image distortion alone would be to cheap to make a hip effect.

True, i could have chosen other examples by you, you seem to have a lot of fun with unexpected results in 3D through experimentation. I guess i just found the sound to be the most nerve-wrecking in that piece. I know it's a matter of taste, i'm just stating mine. I see that it does fit to the sequence and is appropriate, somehow creating a sophisticated artistic atmosphere - but damn, i can't watch it too often with my speakers on.

about matchmoving: has anyone got information on how good or bad 3D Max's own camera tracking module is compared to standalone software? It seems that some people who use Max prefer to do the camera tracking with other software although it's already built in in 3D studio Max. Is it really that bad?

Guest igorschmigor

:D That was a nice dive into your thoughts. Do you have any other interviews on the net that we don't know yet? I'd like to read them all (and i bet most others here would like to too).

So it's about your frustration. And i thought you were having fun :lol:

P.S.: i think it's great that you uploaded it as a BIG file, i'd rather wait for the download than have to put up with tiny movies.

Guest soulmobile

So Igor, seems to me that your prediction on computer generated errors can be compared to Firemind's thoughts on the "revenge" of handrawn styles... in the sense that both theories go in the direction of a less clean computerish look (I mean when you clearly see that stuff was made digitally).

I agree! and I believe that we are more and more goin' to pick up scissors, cardboard, paper, tissue, glue etc. and start to do more and more things off the computer, before importing it via scanner, videocamera or whatever... this is also part of that "analogic look" we are talkin' about.

Thats actually what I want to do as soon as I can,

but friends, wach out... LET'S NOT SNIFF THAT GLUE!!! :evil: