Sign in to follow this  
Guest soulmobile

The Style is NOW!

Guest govinda

Funny you should say that about the Ronin animation Igor because one way to view the piece is that it's completely missing the ideas of parallax and soulmobile. To put their argument another way: Design observes/listens to/prods/climbs inside the challenge and pulls from it a solution that tells the story. Then, execute. Simple to say, but who wants to sit with a pad of paper and look at a design problem with the fine attention to nuance it takes to read poetry.

The Ronin solution for Huddersfield Univ. says complexity, chaos, interference. An education is about clarifying, finding order in chaos, casting light. If the piece went from chaos to order, a different story. As it is, it looks like gratuitous use of technique.

A more positive view is that the animation challenges prospective students by saying 'we're showing you how complex and chaotic the world is, can you deal?' But that'd be giving it a massive benefit of the doubt.

I've known designers who could think things through but couldn't execute something that looks half as cool as Ronin's piece. I've only met a few who could do both. Who did that poetry-reading poster with the red background and white lamp in the mid-90s? An example of being perfect on both counts.

Guest igorschmigor

:?: i never said that the ronin animation worked well in a functional and communicative way.

Guest govinda

Never thought you did. My first sentence is much shallower than that. I'm very shallow generally. It was just a transition into the thought.

Guest parallax

Let it be clear though, that what i post is only my opinion. Its just the way I think stories should be told, and how form should in the 1st place follow function, and not the other way around.

Not that its impossible to tell a story with form as the main selling point.

I am probably by no means more qualified then the larger part of this forum.

Just so you know 8)

Guest firemind

As far as 'handdrawn organic stuff' being 'the next big thing' (ugh how I hate the sound of that), it's all reaction and counter reaction. Sooner or later folks will get tired of superclean vector stuff, as will they of organic messy stuff. (David Carson anyone?).

It happens everywhere, music, art, food, fashion, etc. If what's 'in' concerns you, ride that fad wave, if not, just tell your story the best way you can. Ironically in both ways it's a mortal sin to be 6 months too late riding the fad wave :P

Guest fredcamino

personally, i think it's less of a good "story" and more a solid, deep "concept" that makes a work stand out. but maybe this what you're talking about when you say story. of course it also takes technical skills and stylistic savvy to pull off a great concept, but when all those things are present, i think it makes for the best viewing. this is why something like shynola's "go with the flow" promo for queens of the stone age stands out for me as excellent. sure it has the mega popular and stylish "target" commercial look, but it also has one of the most amazing concepts holding the piece together and making it so much more enjoyable. same goes for much of psyops work. and outside the realm of motion graphics, michel gondry's music videos and films. pure concept, often greater than the story itself in his films.

Guest parallax

Yes folks, its there.

As a counter reaction on the current clean vector/disco 'era', i get the impression the next trend will be "cut-out/sketchy/monty pythonesque"

style. A bit elementary school design, fooling around with sciccors and glue.

Ah yes, 'collage' is the word i'm looking for.

Just watch the new Incubus video, or the Franz Ferdinand video. Been Seeing a lot more of those 'cardboard' graphics.

So, fellow trendwhores, lets jump on the 'collage' beandwagon 8)

Guest Feniks

Parallax, that's funny, I just finished a video about trends with lots of patchwork. (368 layers animated in 1min.17sec) Too bad i can't show due internal communication.

Anyhow, I think some hunchback will come out of his attic someday presenting his new thing and everyone will go aaaaaaaaah for a week and next week everyone will be bored again. Styles and trends are temporary, just do the thing you're happy with (or in case you work for a client, what your client pleases), make up your own style and one day you'll realise that you're the hunchback.

Guest parallax

Lol, i hope, someday we will all be hunchbacks :)

But i know what you mean though, of course you should use a 'style' or 'trend' with a purpose, it should suite the project.

386 layers?

damn. must have slowed your computer right down to a crawl.

how the hell can you manage a project like that :shock:

Guest Feniks

they call it paincontrol i think. :)

I seperated the timeline in different compositions to keep the overlooking rather clear. Also all footages are sorted in folders by type and composition.

Guest ASTRiDMan

shite...good thread...hope this isn't too out of left field:

anybody remember the philosopher in 'Waking Life' that described a massive crescendo of technology change and human understanding leading to an ultimate set of truths and values? (he was my favorite, mainly because some of what he describes seems remotely possible within my lifetime)

my question is this, if you had a computer that could perform any task you asked it to do, in real-time, how would it that affect your work/art/storytelling?

(on a side note, I once had this idea for a t-shirt that'd say "I nap around my renders.")

Guest Scorch

I thought of this once, if you could just think what you wanted to happen on screen, and then it did it, straight away. I reckon you'd get a lot more done, and you'd make more money because every job would take about 10 minutes to do.

Something tells me we're a long way off yet though, and with new, more powerful technology, so our expectations will rise, and great work produced now, will seem more mediocre in the future...just a thought :wink:

Guest ASTRiDMan

crap, does this mean that a ultra real-time computer will eventually reveal me as the poser artist that I am? :shock:

hmm, 3D modeling with virtual gloves and mind reading capabilities, with real-time rendering accurate to the subatomic level...

On the bright side, I'll never wait for particle playground to hurry its pokey-ass up again!