Sign in to follow this  
Guest cromico

Flipping Pages in After Effects?

Guest cromico

I'm looking for a way to do quick flipping pages in after effects? I know there's a plugin out there that does do page turning effects, but i'd like to do it straight after effects? any tips? Thanks.

Guest paccollective

the cycore pageturn plugin that comes with professional should help you out. might be hard with straight up AE. the pageturn looks pretty good if you customize it and use it carefully - i was surprised that it could map different layers on each side of the page to create a convincing flip, even something with a transparency/acetate type look to it.

Guest Sao_Bento
I did this one thing earlier this year using Boris Continuum Page Turn. Then used CC Force Motion Blur to add...er...motion blur. I spent a lot of time building pages in Photoshop.

http://www.parkgrp.com/daveswain/nat_archives_pages.mov

54035[/snapback]

Normally the phrase “page turn” makes me wince, but I can honestly say that's FREAKIN RADDEST the page turn job I've ever seen.

Edited by Sao_Bento

Guest chips
I did this one thing earlier this year using Boris Continuum Page Turn. Then used CC Force Motion Blur to add...er...motion blur. I spent a lot of time building pages in Photoshop.

http://www.parkgrp.com/daveswain/nat_archives_pages.mov

54035[/snapback]

yeah nice job. very smooth.

that boris continuum page turn can also be used for 'sticker' elements which fly in and stick to stuff.

Guest dethkiller

wow. amazing!

Guest dethkiller
I'm looking for a way to do quick flipping pages in after effects? I know there's a plugin out there that does do page turning effects, but i'd like to do it straight after effects? any tips? Thanks.

53654[/snapback]

if you have access to any 3d program, i've found a great way to do a simple page turn is to animate a flat polygon shape turning, then apply the page layer to it, export the .tga and bring that into AE. it works pretty much as fast as any plugin, and you don't have to worry about paying for (or acquiring the codes to) any extra plugins...

probably too much work, though.

Guest scofield
Normally the phrase “page turn” makes me wince, but I can honestly say that's the page turn job I've ever seen.

couldn't have said it better, smooth.

Guest crabbey1
Normally the phrase “page turn” makes me wince, but I can honestly say that's the page turn job I've ever seen.

That was great... You must have spent tons of time preparing the pages for that sequence... Great job though... :)

Edited by crabbey1

Guest clintvideo

54040[/snapback]

Way to be noncommital! Or is this a case of "Always proofread your post to make sure you didn't any words out?"

That's a really beautiful example of how proper execution can make even a mostly cheesy effect into a first-class one. Can you show us your treatment of a star wipe or heart wipe? :-)

Cf

Guest Sao_Bento
is this a case of "Always proofread your post to make sure you didn't any words out?"

54146[/snapback]

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Guest swaino

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a lot of work and ended up taking way longer than I expected. It was for the National Archives in D.C., and was produced by the Discovery Channel...so, luckily they had a pretty decent budget. Even I was surprised by how natural it ended up looking. Funny thing is...the next project I did for them, another producer asked if I could do that page turn thing again. A double edged sword, I guess.

Cromico, let me know if you'd like some tips on getting those pages to flow.