Sign in to follow this  
Guest pixel_pimp

Adobe Illustrator - Release to Layer?

Guest pixel_pimp

I am trying to release a layer to (sequence) in illustrator. I select the layer and click release to layer, nothing apparent happened, so i tried to import the .ai file into after effects to see if import as comp would work...it didn't. I was trying to build something smiliar to this:

http://www.mograph.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=583

I figured making a design in illustrator and releasing to layer would save time, versus coping a pasting multiple times (in AI) to build the AE 3D effects used above.

Thanks

Guest Hubzy

If anything is grouped on that layer, it needs to be ungrouped and then released.

I don't mean to sound like a doosh if you already know this, otherwise, I hope it helps.

Guest govinda

Could it be you're selecting elements with the Selection tool? When you do that, you get an active 'dot' in the Layers palette, but this isn't necessary or sufficient to allow a release to layers. You have to click on the layer itself in the Layer palette (so that the layer highlights horizontally), then you can release.

-govinda

Guest Sao_Bento

Another problem that sometimes occurs is the "released layers" get turned into sub-groups of the original object. When you open the file in AE, it thinks they're all on the same layer. In such cases, it helps to save to a legacy format like 5.5, which doesn't recognize layer sub groups.