Sign in to follow this  
Guest noneone1156

Attaching an arrow head to 3d stroke?

Guest noneone1156

What’s up all, I was wondering is there a way to attach an arrow head to a 3d stroke? I also have another question I have created some arrows in 3ds max and got them on a path and animated then is there a way to do this with in after effects? I am a combustion user but I have turned over to AE for motion graphics.

Guest Sao_Bento
What’s up all, I was wondering is there a way to attach an arrow head to a 3d stroke? I also have another question I have created some arrows in 3ds max and got them on a path and animated then is there a way to do this with in after effects? I am a combustion user but I have turned over to AE for motion graphics.

55492[/snapback]

The only way with 3D stroke would be to eye it with the arrowhead on another layer. Of course you couldn't use any of the transform functions in 3D stroke, which kind of ruins the whole thing.

I don't think there's a way to get a layer to warp along a path in quite the same manner, you could try something like meshwarp or if you're feeling spendy, maybe Forge Freeform. I doubt either does exactly what you're after. Better to do the arrows in Max and import the render and camera data into AE.

Guest parallax

55492[/snapback]

Like Sao said, better do it in Max.

If the deforming arrowhead is your problem, you should make the arrowhead a seperate object, and use an 'Attachment' controller in the Motion tab. and align the object the the face normals.

Alternatively, you could use Linked Xform somehow, but that's kind of a hassle.

Guest Awesome Swelles

I think this is what this tutorial by ayato is trying to achieve, though using particular rather than 3d stroke. But it needs deciphering:

(click)

Guest christianchoice

basically you could draw out a path, and paste the points into the position parameter of the arrow head........then animate 3d stroke on the path to follow it.... like this:

first draw a straight line on a solid layer. then import your arrow head, and put the anchor point opposite of the tip, (if its a triangle arrow head, it would be the base's center)....on the solid where you drew your line, click on the mask shape propert of the mask, and copy it. then go to your arrow layer's position property & past the points into it. Your arrow should now be animated to move across the straight line. now add 3d stroke to the layer with the line drawn on it, and animate it to follow your arrow head. once you've mastered this incredibly complex technique ;), try drawing more complex paths (lines) and seing if you can make it translate into 3d....

*make sure you turn auto orient on....i forget where its at, and i'm rendering so i can't check.....

Guest slipkorn
basically you could draw out a path, and paste the points into the position parameter of the arrow head........then animate 3d stroke on the path to follow it.... like this:

first draw a straight line on a solid layer.  then import your arrow head, and put the anchor point opposite of the tip, (if its a triangle arrow head, it would be the base's center)....on the solid where you drew your line, click on the mask shape propert of the mask, and copy it.  then go to your arrow layer's position property & past the points into it. Your arrow should now be animated to move across the straight line.  now add 3d stroke to the layer with the line drawn on it, and animate it to follow your arrow head.  once you've mastered this incredibly complex technique ;), try drawing more complex paths (lines) and seing if you can make it translate into 3d....

*make sure you turn auto orient on....i forget where its at, and i'm rendering so i can't check.....

55525[/snapback]

Ctrl + Alt + O

:D

glad to help, proud to learn !

Guest Chinaski
I think this is what this tutorial by ayato is trying to achieve, though using particular rather than 3d stroke. But it needs deciphering:

(click)

55508[/snapback]

That actually looks like a method that wouldn't be too hard and allows from some flexibility. For anyone who couldn't understand it, basically, you animate a an arrow head in After Effects

3D space and use it as an emitter for particular. Set the particle velocity to 0 so they don't spread out, and use a ton of particles to create the illusion of a solid volume.

Guest Sao_Bento
That actually looks like a method that wouldn't be too hard and allows from some flexibility.  For anyone who couldn't understand it, basically, you animate a an arrow head in After Effects

3D space and use it as an emitter for particular.  Set the particle velocity to 0 so they don't spread out, and use a ton of particles to create the illusion of a solid volume.

55549[/snapback]

That's pretty tricky and has a fair amount of potential although the number of particles needed for smooth curves is bound to be a slowdown. The down side is that seeing another arrow animating in 3D space will make me puke.

Guest pixelmonk
Hey guys thanx for your quick replies.  :D

55605[/snapback]

I'm thinking in Maya.. you could do the arrow in AI, import into Max.. then use a deformer lattice to run the Arrow through.

There's actually a tutorial on it on CMI's website:

http://cmivfx.com/m/shuffle.mov

main tutorial site is here, where it describes the .mov a bit more: http://cmivfx.com/tutorials.asp

Guest Hubzy

Tread used some sort of path deformer plugin in AE for the barbed wire effect in his inside out piece that worked really well.

Ted, where are you?

check out Inside Out on his site http://tedgore.com/

Hopefully he will shed some more light on this soon. Really soon.

Guest Sao_Bento
Tread used some sort of path deformer plugin in AE for the barbed wire effect in his inside out piece that worked really well. 

Ted, where are you?

check out Inside Out on his site http://tedgore.com/

Hopefully he will shed some more light on this soon. Really soon.

55835[/snapback]

Since Ted is a Cinema 4D devotee, I'd make the easy guess that he used Renato Tarabella's Path Deformer plugin. http://www.tarabella.it/c4d

Renato's like the Trapcode of C4D. His stuff is great and very reasonably priced.