Sign in to follow this  
Guest superegophobia

"Flood" fluid dynamic system

Guest superegophobia

http://software.franticfilms.com/index.aspx?page=flood

stumbled on this when i was reading up on Deadline render farm; some nice QTs. i know there's a couple of other fluid simulators but what's up w/ them all being proprietary?

anyway on related note i was finally able to get Maya satellite to work but it likes to crash a lot. Any advice on dedicated render farm managers (for Maya)? A friend gave me a used P4 PC so now i could use a Windows Server manager, but it'd need to also have OS X clients for the G5/G4.

Guess my options are Muster, Deadline, Rush and ButterflyNetRender. Muster and ButterflyNetRender both have good prices for small render farm solutions (less than 5 computers), so any input on either of these would be great.

Guest three5

http://www.drqueue.org/

free open source maya render manager. caviat: takes effort to set up and get working properly.

note to self: finish getting dr queue set up and working properly.

Edited by three5

Guest sl3966

Well, I have around 8-10 computers here at the house (much to my wifes dismay) I have used Muster, Pixar's RAT with Alfred, Spider, and Smedge. My favorite by far for set-up and ease of use is Smedge. Its awesome and so easy to use my wife can submit jobs to it. Spider is free last time I checked but the support is kind of lacking. Hope that helps.

Guest superegophobia
Well, I have around 8-10 computers here at the house (much to my wifes dismay) I have used Muster, Pixar's RAT with Alfred, Spider, and Smedge. My favorite by far for set-up and ease of use is Smedge. Its awesome and so easy to use my wife can submit jobs to it. Spider is free last time I checked but the support is kind of lacking. Hope that helps.

55921[/snapback]

thx for the info. i would try out the demo for Smedge but the problem is they don't have OS X clients, it's PC only... i need something that's cross platform. How'd you like Muster? I know that one is pretty cheap and the client works w/ OS X.

Guest sl3966

Muster was good it was just getting on my nerves because it needs it's own account on my domain and it was giving me trouble with permissions. Give it a try

Guest three5

oh hey, i recently was made aware that apple's qmaster now supports maya renders. so now you can make a quick cluster and have a render manager that is as friendly as backburner, but on a mac.

Guest superegophobia
oh hey, i recently was made aware that apple's qmaster now supports maya renders. so now you can make a quick cluster and have a render manager that is as friendly as backburner, but on a mac.

56965[/snapback]

has anyone sucessfully done this? i know it's been supported for a while but i've always heard horror stories about getting it to actually work (workarounds and bugs). actually now that i think about it doesn't the FCP suite (w/ compressor) include Qmaster, maybe they updated it or something...