Sign in to follow this  
Guest pixelparty

battle??

Guest Martin_Malta

i've got some hosting space available but bandwidth isn't amazing so we'll have to watch that.

and are prizes really that important guys? an award

something that might be fun would be the first person does a 15 seconder, and everyone keeps adding 15 seconds to it, see how well they can pull off the transition whilst keeping the flow and maybe even building some form of narrative.

Guest govinda

So it's corpse or regular individual entries with prize. We'll have to let someone important decide. Anyone hear from Wing lately?

Guest SermonOfMockery

martin, look up the term "exquisite corpse"... it comes from the Dadaists, where a group of people pass a piece of art around, each adding something to it.

Guest mindstate7

Hey all! Just got back from vacation and saw this. I have some questions: Are you thinking about this online or as a local event?

I have been holding art battles for 2 years in Denver and have had much success and response and am putting together something in NY that has to do with motion design.

There is also an art battle thing going on here in NY as well with painting only thus far. I have also been to a couple or "design" battles. WHich is basically two photoshop screens put up on a wall in a bar and the designers have like 15 mins (weak) to do something. In my opinion, it wasn't all that great, mainly due to the fact that the sessions were so short, the design was already basically completed (because they could bring a hard drive with work), the night was not interactive, and the last thing I wanted to do on my day off was to watch a designer on photoshop and pay high priced drinks. :lol:

I am putting something together here with a motion battle, which is geared off of the key aspects of the art battles from Denver.

So waht do you all have in mind here? I may be of some help. I can show images of shows, as well as have been around this enough to know of some major pros and cons of doing this live, if any one is interested let me know.

Guest 3rdMARTINI
i think i remember seeing something about exquisite corpse projects on the chicago motion graphics group website awhile back....that could be a lot more interesting than a battle

56024[/snapback]

I've done mograph corpses at yayhooray.com before. Those were kind of fun. But overall, there is a lot involved in keeping a mograph corpse or battle running smoothly over their still frame counterparts.

I'd also love to see it get going, but man, I can see it flopping hard.

Guest boywonder

I am all for fun competitions. I think is the shizznite on the down drizzle...errr..yeah. I am evisioning using "Hypercard" and the letter 'Q' and see what people come up with. Yeah, high tech sucka!

Guest caffeineman

Why is everyone making this so complicated?

Moderaters come up with a word, or a theme to jump off from....

A time limit, a STRICT DATE OF COMPLETION and any other rules they think of.

People follow said time and theme rules, create a piece, host it themselves, and display it in the thread. The thread would be monitored, and posts that weren't SUBMISSIONS wouldn't be allowed.

Just a thread with the topic, rules, and submissions, no comments or discussions. It will help keep track of the entries.

Then on said date, the moderators, or "Guest Judges", or who ever, lock/close the thread, vote on the pieces and the winner gets the acclaim.

If there's prizes fine, but in this industry, WE ALL KNOW we don't ever get the rewards we diserve, so why start now? ;)

Be humble. Not everything revolves around money and material possesions.

Sound good?

Guest govinda

That's all true--if it's the contest with single entries.

If it's the corpse, it's not really a contest but a stitched together narrative.

That's the only complication.

Guest caffeineman

I think it would be easier to start off with a simple competition and go from there.

A Corpse would require:

-There has to be one person who is the overseer and passes the files around. He sends you the files, you make something, and send it back to him, he cuts off the beginning, then he sends it to someone else and so on.

-One person at a time working on one piece. With a hundred people waiting for their turn. That could take months to get anywhere.

-Dealing with handing off to someone who slacks and holds everyone up.

-etc.

I say we start small, work out kinks, then once it gets going and things run smooth over other competitions, THEN we can start more collaborative stuff.

Guest pixelparty

...what about battle-ing the different pieces?

i have some ideas:

you have maybe 10 ppl ( just for example )!!!!

then every of these ten ppl write down three advices, or better called briefings what to do with the 10 seconds they will get.

ok. u then put these 10 ppl and the 10 advices in one soup. the advices are anonymous.

ok. everyone will make 10 sec. / a hint, a pic, a word or whatever will start the battle then.

after finishing you say: burp, i m ready

where to send my file???

you then get next free ppl, and you will get another mov then, aep, pic...

AND: the adive what to do. and what u are restricet to do. its individual.

what u think about???

just a entry of ideas in my mind.

when will will one day get money and honor for it, then it s fine. otherwise its fun.

all these guy, u have connections and possibilities to rumble in real world, oki doki.

meeting is hard i suppose.

me living in europe, i suppose most from u come from the US.

and at the moment i not have a money or time to travel through wideworld-..heheh

ok, so far from my side!

:H

Guest carniceria
Because it's like managing a 'chores list' for a huge house of teenagers. You have to be very precise, or not a single thing gets done. This is from past experience with contests (and I was one of the teenagers).

55994[/snapback]

god damn were you right.

Guest govinda

:lol: :lol:

I'd lean toward a contest rather than corpse because there needs to be some proof that a collab venture can work at all before we try something complicated. And I think that while prizes shouldn't be necessary, they sure would make the compeitition better. If the first motive (doing it because you want to) gets a little electric cattle prod by a second (hey, I want that prize, better play less Halo today and work on my entry), there's no major catastrophe in our morals. It's not like anyone's going to rip off Belief work as a contest entry for the sheer love of renminbi and yuan.

Someone needs to get on this though... It's really my fault re the prizes because I screwed up the first task Firemind gave me: updating a list of people we could beg prizes and freebies off. I have an idea for a prize though. It's a little ambitious, but I'll give it a shot.

Guest akalin

I like the idea of a competition. And agree with caffeineman on "A time limit, a STRICT DATE OF COMPLETION and any other rules they think of."

I don't mind kicking some ass just for the fun of it ;)

I would love this to be HD1080 or at least 720 so that we can have the winners on blue ray and pitch it to Sony for their "little" upcoming campaign for HD DVD or whatever it is gonna be called. or to someone else but we should definitely get it out there, have it published.

that should well cover the prize.

Guest Tread
how 'bout this for a prize?

a pink t-shirt that says "i *deerhead* bewbs"

56275[/snapback]

I would enter if that was the prize.

Guest Martin_Malta

I think govinda has a point. A corpse would be great but it would be better to start off with a competition, then maybe do a corpse some other day....

what do you guys think of choosing one soundtrack and everyone has to work on that?

Guest F to the Soong

I like this idea. im gonna get my 4 finger ring and adidas track suit ready cause you peeps are going downnnnn.

maybe we need to have different competitions for different experience levels (to not discourage any participants), like lets say PRO and HOBBY which will crown the champs of their respective classes. later they can face off in a tub of pink jello and deer heads (which will have the champ rising out of the tub with nothing but deer head residue and pink jello drips).

Guest djkorova
Why is everyone making this so complicated?

People follow said time and theme rules, create a piece, host it themselves, and display it in the thread. The thread would be monitored, and posts that weren't SUBMISSIONS wouldn't be allowed.

Just a thread with the topic, rules, and submissions, no comments or discussions. It will help keep track of the entries.

Then on said date, the moderators, or "Guest Judges", or who ever, lock/close the thread, vote on the pieces and the winner gets the acclaim.

56243[/snapback]

I really like this idea! They do this kind of thing all the time at C4D Cafe And CM has it right i think about keeping the thread to just entries.

Woohoo! Lets see everyone's skillz!!!

Guest isotropy

Does anyone remember the BIM (Big Infini-D Movie) project from the old Infini-D mailing list? Although the end result kinda looked bad (it was the late 90's after all), I think the concept would work well for a mograph piece... Basically everyone had 5 seconds, and the end of one piece had to link into the beginning of the next persons shot, etc...

I'm not sure how well that would work in this kind of setting, since everyone is always busy, and might not have to time to contribute, but it could be interesting. :)

Guest Sao_Bento

Update: It was talked to death, then abandoned - as it has been every other time it's come up.