Sign in to follow this  
Guest pixelparty

battle??

Guest govinda

Well...no... The last conversation about it was on Thursday, and this is Monday. In between we discovered that paccollective is curating a short film shindig in Manhattan that overlaps with when we would've been doing it. So the question is, does anyone see this as a problem?

I started looking for prizes late last week and planned to continue this week.

And we need a theme.

That's where it stands.

Guest crabbey1

The theme should be "Experimental"... See who can come up with the most interesting new treatment that we haven't seen a thousand times before, but still make it relevant...

Guest amydot

i think a cool theme idea would be "growth". it would be really interesting to see the different ways it was interpretted and executed.

i dig the competition idea with or without prizes.

Guest fredcamino

okay. here's my idea. i think it would be cool to take a central theme and then dole out variations to individuals. i'm thinking along the lines of what logan did for the current tv show opens. the "current" logo or name or whatever was central to all of the pieces, but since they all had different themes, they all looked completely different. so we could come up with a central idea, like say the mograph.net logo and pink, and the come up with a bunch of different themes to apply that to. like, say... mograph.net prehistoric, mograph.net 2055, mograh.net west, mograph.net canada, mograph.net academic, mograph.net sports, mograph.net x-rated, mograph.net travel, mograph.net beer, mograph.net fishing, mograph.net safari, mograph.net monkeys, mograph.net breakfast, mograph.net space travel, mograph.net science, mograph.net online shopping, mograph.net wireless, mograph.net hipster, mograph.net XtReMe, mograph.net hip-hop, mograph.net republican, mograph.net dirt bike

and they wouldn't have to be too long, like the current opens... 10 seconds or something so it would be too much work, but you could work really hard to make those 10 seconds awesome.

Guest carniceria

I also like this idea. simple lets just do this shiz!

one thang, for consistancy, firemind can put the 'mograph' typeface up for public download. haha - i doubt that's top on his list of 'things i want to do at all'.

Edited by carniceria

Guest fredcamino

it doesn't have to be "mograph.net", that was just an example. could be cool though.

Guest Martin_Malta

that sounds like a good idea.

The St. James Cavalier Centre for Arts & Creativity (Malta) is interested in doing a Mograph exhibition btw. Non Commercial work only tho, so the results of this competition could fit in easily. If any of you are interested.

Guest govinda

Free trip to Valetta?

What if we could prove a relation to the Knights Templar through our mother's side of the family AND do some mean design?

Guest Martin_Malta

hehehehe... free trip might be a bit hard to get.

(And it was the Knights of St. John that built Valletta, not the Knights Templars :P )

Guest govinda

Bump. Small movement on the prize front.

Hey Fred, have you thought out any more what you were getting at? I also like Amy's 'growth' idea (sorry about the throbbing flesh). But yours, Fred, sounds more like 'take an adjective and do with it what you want.'

Guest fredcamino
Bump. Small movement on the prize front.

Hey Fred, have you thought out any more what you were getting at? I also like Amy's 'growth' idea (sorry about the throbbing flesh). But yours, Fred, sounds more like 'take an adjective and do with it what you want.'

57164[/snapback]

basically my idea was to use one central idea, and then use adjectives to make variations on that central idea. so we could even us amy's "growth" as the central idea, and whoever is in charge of the contest would come up with an extensive list of potential adjectives. then contestants choose an adjective and use that adjective to creative a variation on the main them. so everyone will have different looking mograph pieces, but the will theoretically share a central idea.

example:

Central Theme: Growth

Adjective List: prehistoric, redneck, cosmopolitan, futuristic, minimal, religious, hairy, etc...

Then SermonOfMockery chooses "redneck" and then thinks about ways to design/animate redneck growth. Perhaps he chooses to show the growth of a redneck from child redneck to adult redneck. Perhaps he decides to animate a warty growth protruding from rednecks nose. Perhaps he designs the letterforms of the word growth using objects that a redneck might come across.

Guest Sao_Bento
basically my idea was to use one central idea, and then use adjectives to make variations on that central idea.  so we could even us amy's "growth" as the central idea, and whoever is in charge of the contest would come up with an extensive list of potential adjectives.  then contestants choose an adjective and use that adjective to creative a variation on the main them.  so everyone will have different looking mograph pieces, but the will theoretically share a central idea.

example:

Central Theme:  Growth

Adjective List:  prehistoric, redneck, cosmopolitan, futuristic, minimal, religious, hairy, etc...

Then SermonOfMockery chooses "redneck" and then thinks about ways to design/animate redneck growth.  Perhaps he chooses to show the growth of a redneck from child redneck to adult redneck.  Perhaps he decides to animate a warty growth protruding from rednecks nose.  Perhaps he designs the letterforms of the word growth using objects that a redneck might come across.

57170[/snapback]

good one, eh?

Guest ai

what if each piece was a loop and was barely the size of a half screen?

Then someone will take the animations and compose them sequentially on top of each other with a camera pan to form a loop.

Like that everyone could participate and make short loops or long ones.

I have this logan short in mind

murmurs

Guest seabass

How about everyone designs something 720pixels x 1pixel in size.

We can have up to 486 entries on the screen at the same time!

Guest crabbey1

I really want to do this... I like Fred's idea alot, but how can they be judged against each other if they aren't prompted by the same word...?

Guest pixelthief
I really want to do this... I like Fred's idea alot, but how can they be judged against each other if they aren't prompted by the same word...?

57231[/snapback]

ditto.

Also, I suggest cash prizes or some combintation thereof. Paypal an entry fee of $10 and the winner gets the pot. Plus, it helps w/ the motivation factor. If you've coughed up a little loot, you're way more likely to follow through and hit the deadline, even though you're busy as hell with actual work.

got my scrilla?

Edited by pixelthief

Guest carniceria

Well it will be more about one's ability to turn an idea, no matter how mundane, into a visually interesting, cleanly designed, communicative piece. So it's less about any one idea and more about the end result.

I mean, with debates, to use an example. Sometimes you get put on a team to argue a side you don't agree with. But if you're good enough you can make everyone buy in. Probably a better show of skill than somebody making a piece to 'boobs' and 'paint streaks' and 'glitter' as adjectives.

Guest fishface
Probably a better show of skill than somebody making a piece to 'boobs' and 'paint streaks' and 'glitter' as adjectives.

57233[/snapback]

Fuck. I was hoping to get to get 'boobs' as my word. Now, I've got no shot. Damn it.

Guest govinda

Female and male lactating organs are a separate category pursuant to the Mograph Boob Gender Provision™.

So you can have man-boobs if you want 'em.

Guest Martin_Malta

i like the adjectives idea but i agre with whoever said it's hard to judge them. I propose having one theme and everyone working on that. That way you can see how different people reacted to the same idea, some might take it literally and others might run wild with the concept.

That way the competition wouldn't be just on a technical level.