Sign in to follow this  
Guest pixelparty

battle??

Guest F to the Soong

i think we should all take 15 seconds of laffy taffy and create a masterpiece

Guest govinda

Let's nail it down by Friday. We're close.

I like the idea of money prizes, but oh no I've been *there* before. Chasing down people I don't know to pay their entry fee just sucks beyond belief. Once burned, twice shy.

It's easy enough to judge the composition, color, motion, concept and whatever else of a piece regardless of its inspiration. Ice skaters don't all skate to the same music or wear the same $200 sequence designs.

Guest jasfish

Skip the fee and keep it as simple as possible like Amy's idea of Growth. One word, many possibilities.

Guest fredcamino

i have a history of coming up with award winning mograph.net contest ideas.

Edited by fredcamino

Guest amydot

It's Friday!! What's the conclusion? Perhaps we should set up a poll...the two leading ideas are either using one word (growth or whatever else) and coming up with various interpretations of it, or using one word with a list of adjectives.

I like the idea of a $10 fee to enter, paid through pay pal and required to enter, and that be the "pot" and also a decent motivation to hit the deadline and work a little harder...or we could do no prize, or something different entirely.

btw, i thought your growing skin was ickily funny...

Guest govinda

Concluding proposal is... it'll be Spring when we're done, so Growth + Word. In the words of Chance the Gardener, there will be growth in the spring. So if you're imaginative, you have choices:

Explosive growth

Hairy, throbbing growth (DIBS)

My growth

Plant growth

Population growth

Traffic growth

Monetary growth

Emotional growth

Suburban growth

Growth where you don't want it, like mold on bread

Things that can't have growth, like rocks, but which want to (uh, whatever)

Growth in abstract, depicted subtly by lines that thicken, circles that expand, Fischinger style for example

Job growth

Opportunity growth

Knowledge growth

But people don't have to announce it in advance, so they can choose the same word without penalty.

This is essentially, when you think about it, just a one-word contest anyway with 'growth' as the word. For example, Tronic did a piece called Future Beauty which was a depiction of the theme of 'regret.' It's Jesse Seppi showing how 'regret' wells up from underground and overwhelms him physically. So their take could be interpreted as 'my regret.'

And let's call first prize the 'Belt Around the World' award.

As soon as I get a commitment on a first prize.

Guest thepatbrown

That Tronic piece was fresh, never seen it.

Just a thought I hope will help, there are a lot of companies that post here every-now-and-again to shamelessly promote their products. A small prize from each of them and you have a pretty impressive grand prize.

Poster companies would probably really like the exposure on this board. (methane, aesthetic apparatus).

Then, there are also the companies like Ribbit Films or Chank that give away a few of their products to let people know they are worth the money. I think these companies would be more likely than many to donate a prize.

StickyPod, looks cheasy, but it works, and that guy seems into nontraditional marketing (cool toy).

Final thought on prizes, it costs nothing extra to donate some .eps or a font, so I would think a place like youworkforthem could be hit up for a little something.

The concept for the competition is a really good one. I think by the time it is all said and done it is probably going to attract more mograph.net attention than originally anticipated.

Good Luck.

Guest Sao_Bento
Tronic did a piece called Future Beauty which was a depiction of the theme of 'regret.' It's Jesse Seppi showing how 'regret' wells up from underground and overwhelms him physically. So their take could be interpreted as 'my regret.'

57517[/snapback]

I always thought that was about how hard it is to poop in a fencing suit.

Guest govinda

Your mods, so self-satisfied that they finally got the Tronic interview online a mere six months late, took the week off, and when that was done we took another day. But Martin, much like the maltese puppy my parents just bought, you remind me that all things start small and poop a lot when young. This contest is shitting all over the mograph carpet as it gets housetrained. It's gonna grow fast from here though, because I know all of you are going to rub my nose in the 'mistakes.'

Ahh, it's good to get back to long-ass metaphoricalish flourishy posts.

Anyone who wants to assist, please IM me. There are some specific tasks that'd make this really cool.