Sign in to follow this  
Guest punisha

[AFTER EFFECTS] Best hardware

Guest punisha

Hi, I'm going to improve my computer and i would like to know which configurations works better with after effects (CPU, memory, Graphic card), the configuration u think is the best for AE.

Thanks in advance

Diego

Guest Sao_Bento

Being that it's your first post, you might not have been ready for the unparalelled amount of wise-assery that goes on around here. The bottom line is that this probably isn't the best place to look for hardware performance comparisons, etc. The best machine is the one that's the fastest, with the most ram and hard drives that falls into your price range. As far as compatibility with AE, OpenGL cards are the only real variable that I know of, and Adobe has a list on their site of recommended cards, so you might wanna check that out.

Edited by Sao_Bento

Guest SermonOfMockery

there was this same thread like a week ago (sans wise-assery). the guy from nailgun made it. it devolved into a platform war i believe.

Guest joconnell

Absolutely fastest thing at the moment is a dual amd x2 machine with 4 gigs of ram running under windows xp64 and a decent set of hard drives. After effects isnt that strenuous on graphics cards so any good geforce or ati card should do it - one of the 256 meg 7800s or equivalent will be great. This is purely for rendering and interaction speed - If you dont like the workflow of windows or think you may have too many problems with virus or just maintaining the system the go for a mac (though I have heard of them going badly wrong too - its just people dont go out of their way to write viruses for osX - yet.) which is all down to how much money you have.

Personally I'm mainly 3d based so I prefer pcs for overall speed and I dont mind fixing problems when they come along so pcs suit me.

Guest funkyduck

PC's run After Effects better and smoother, but tend to crash more and be a bit more bitchy, in general. It's a trade off...

Guest pixelthief

Isn't that a contradiction?

PC's run After Effects better and smoother, but tend to crash more and be a bit more bitchy, in general.  It's a trade off...

56891[/snapback]

Guest pixelmonk
Isn't that a contradiction?

56898[/snapback]

True. Set up your box right, you minimize crashes. The beeeeotchiness comes from the user.

I recommend some sort of I/O card with a monitor that works with AFX. I'm using a BlackMagic Decklink card that works with AFX and Combustion providing me a hardware frame buffer output. Good for making sure you're keeping it real. You can go cheapy by using a firewire out. At home I sometimes I use the firewire on my Audigy2 piped to my camcorder, out to my TV. Sounds funny... but I rarely test output at home, and it saves cash.

"I beat the smart kid... " - Ralph Wiggam

Guest carniceria
Being that it's your first post, you might not have been ready for the unparalelled amount of wise-assery that goes on around here. The bottom line is that this probably isn't the best place to look for hardware performance comparisons, etc. The best machine is the one that's the fastest, with the most ram and hard drives that falls into your price range. As far as compatibility with AE, OpenGL cards are the only real variable that I know of, and Adobe has a list on their site of recommended cards, so you might wanna check that out.

56824[/snapback]

What a great thread. "Get the fastest computer for your money" Why can't other mac pc flame wars end this way?

Edited by carniceria

Guest pixelmonk
What a great thread. "Get the fastest computer for your money" Why can't other mac pc flame wars end this way?

56908[/snapback]

It's no fun till we're bruised and bloody. I should know. :)