Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcrash

[REQ] Dawn of The Dead (remake) Main Title

Guest jcrash

This should be an easy enough effect to create, I'm just looking for a way to do the blood being blown in to text, and then being blown out of it like in the Dawn of The Dead main title. I'm assuming it's some kind of basic masking technique... mixed with footage of fake blood being blown by a straw (god that sounds funny). But also I was wondering how to get that really jerky, high octane edit effect as well. Are they just cutting out a frame or two and speeding up the footage?

This all probably very basic, but I just couldn't figure it out exactly, so I thought I'd ask here.

Guest Rothermel
This should be an easy enough effect to create, I'm just looking for a way to do the blood being blown in to text, and then being blown out of it like in the Dawn of The Dead main title. I'm assuming it's some kind of basic masking technique... mixed with footage of fake blood being blown by a straw (god that sounds funny). But also I was wondering how to get that really jerky, high octane edit effect as well. Are they just cutting out a frame or two and speeding up the footage?

This all probably very basic, but I just couldn't figure it out exactly, so I thought I'd ask here.

56845[/snapback]

try turning on the time remapping, and playing around with speeding keyframes up.

Guest jcrash

thanks for the reply. that works out ok, but there's some slower scenes in the movie that still have that eyeball jitter kind of effect going on. could they have shot at very high shutter speed, moved slowly, then sped up the footage again? it doesn't look like just time re-mapping, but I could def. be wrong.

Guest Rothermel
thanks for the reply.  that works out ok, but there's some slower scenes in the movie that still have that eyeball jitter kind of effect going on. could they have shot at very high shutter speed, moved slowly, then sped up the footage again? it doesn't look like just time re-mapping, but I could def. be wrong.

56864[/snapback]

ya i think i know what youre talking about, but i would have to go back and watch it again. are you talking about like that movie Ring, when the girl walks out of the tv and walks all messed up? the whole footage is slow, but her steps are quick, yet she appears to walk slow? if so, my guess would be she was shoot on a greenscreen, and time remapped, then composited into the main scene, and adjusted the timing there.

Guest Marconius

I'm pretty sure they shot her walking backwards, and then reversed the clip when compositing the shot together. It gives her a successfully creepy way of walking...

Guest jcrash

Actually I never saw the Ring properly. I saw the Japanese version and thought it was just boring, so I took a pass on the Hollywood remake.But I'm guessing it's the same kind of thing.

Rothermel, do you know how to do that text effect I was talking about? That's really what I'd like to know.

Guest pixelmonk
Actually I never saw the Ring properly. I saw the Japanese version and thought it was just boring, so I took a pass on the Hollywood remake.But I'm guessing it's the same kind of thing.

Rothermel, do you know how to do that text effect I was talking about? That's really what I'd like to know.

56914[/snapback]

I have it on DVD but haven't watched it yet. I'm thinking 3D... maybe particles, Maya fluids, Next Limit's RealFlow (see gallery here: http://www.nextlimit.com/realflow/html/gal...eo_gallery.html )

Guest SermonOfMockery

didnt IF do that title? i seem to recall reading on one of the FX sites that it was all done practically, perhaps with alcohol and text printed on transparencies??

Guest jcrash
didnt IF do that title? i seem to recall reading on one of the FX sites that it was all done practically, perhaps with alcohol and text printed on transparencies??

56958[/snapback]

wow. brilliant. do you know what fx site that was on, or can you recommend some?

thanks everyone for the input. I really dug the main title and end credits on this (actually the whole movie was really well done IMO).

Guest SermonOfMockery

i dont remember... it might have been vfxworld.com or something?? i dont know much about that scene, i just happened upon the link. sorry!