Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike James

$666 to upgrade video collection

Guest Mike James

Just to upgrade the standard video collection costs $666 now. There is no $250 upgrade path like before. Follow this math:

I first bought the video collection which was:

Premiere Pro 1.0

Encore DVD 1.0

Audition 1.0

After Effects 6.0 standard

then I upgraded standard to standard to:

Premiere Pro 1.5

Encore DVD 1.5

Audition 1.5

After Effects 6.5 standard

So now if I want version 2 apps for PPro, Encore and Audition and AE7... there is no upgrade path. So I have to either

1. Pay $800 to upgrade to the premium bundle

OR

2. Pay $199 for the upgrade to Premiere Pro 2, $199 for the upgrade to After Effects 7, $149 for the upgrade to Encore DVD 2, $129 for the upgrade to Audition 2 = $666

Where is the customer loyalty? Very dissappointing.

Guest DRNZ

This number, combined with Adobe's recent purchase of Macromedia merely confirms their status as the new dark overlords of design.........

Guest pixelmonk
This number, combined with Adobe's recent purchase of Macromedia merely confirms their status as the new dark overlords of design.........

57827[/snapback]

I figured Apple would start pricing everything 666 and not the beloved Adobe.

Guest pixelmonk

Where is the customer loyalty?  Very dissappointing.

57819[/snapback]

They've added Flash etc. It's not as simple as giving "loyal" customers the same break as before. Mo stuff... mo money. Besides.. who says you need to buy all the upgrades at once?

Guest jslicer

Ok, so i called Adobe a couple minutes ago to ask about whether you can get this new AE 7 for mac. All they could tell me as of this morning is that there is no information about Adobe releasing an AE 7 mac version. You'd think they'd at least have some kind of answer for all the mac customers out there. I guess we wait and see now. Would this have anything to do with the mac intel chip? Would the windowsXP version of software work on a mac once the Intel Switch is over? Will there be actually universal software that works on both mac and PC with this whole mac intel chip thing? What do you guys think or know about this?

Guest loRez
They've added Flash etc.  It's not as simple as giving "loyal" customers the same break as before.  Mo stuff... mo money.  Besides.. who says you need to buy all the upgrades at once?

57829[/snapback]

It does not include Flash. I plan to upgrade anyway, as I never did the .5 upgrade (I'm still on 1.0 and 6.0 in the video collection)

But if it had Flash in there too, I'd do it today.

from the product page:

"Adobe Production Studio Premium combines Adobe After Effects® 7.0 Professional, Adobe Premiere® Pro 2.0, Adobe Photoshop® CS2, Adobe Audition® 2.0, Adobe Encore™ DVD 2.0, and Adobe Illustrator® CS2 software with timesaving workflow features such as Adobe Dynamic Link and Adobe Bridge."

Guest hotbuttertrucker

I am excited about AE7 if it works as well as its suppose to. New interface and thank god, a timeline editor. Good-bye Combustion.

No demos on there website yet. We'll see if my copy is here before they make it available.

Guest Mike James

My point is the upgrade from 1st generation to 2nd generation apps was $249. Now to upgrade those same apps another .5 higher it is not $249 for the upgrade... it is $666.

I don't see a 266% increase in new features, but the price increase is equal to that for the same .5 bump.

I already have multiple licenses of Studio 8 and I have Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2. So there is no reason to pay the $800 to upgrade to the pro version from my current adobe video collection to get the new apps. I just don't need PS, Ill and Fla again.

I just wish they had actually kept the same upgrade path they had before. They had two versions of that video collection and now I can chose to get the standard edition with no Encore and No Audtion and then upgrade them sepereately or I can buy the premium edition to get all the upgrades and apps I already have.

Go figure.