Sign in to follow this  
Guest myExperiment

new project storyboard

Guest myExperiment

hey all!

for my next school motion project i'm doing a :30 spot for the toyota prius. here's the storyboard i came up with. i'll have the next 4 weeks to animate this thing... taking into account i only have 2-3 days per week to work on it because of other classes... i have to pull this off in about 12 days...

i did 3 different boards, but this is the one i'm going with.

prius-web.jpg

Guest kinojay33

Looks nice; just a couple of questions/comments:

1) What's your reasoning for the harsh green/Spawn-like kind of color? Is it just an aesthetic choice or does it tie into the theme of "change" in some way? I guess I'm not seeing it.

2) The "car-goes-by-and-flowers-grow-in-its-path" thing is very overdone. You might want to consider other ways that you can represent that concept that are more unique.

Just my .02.

Guest mfh

it looks very nice, but it also looks very similar to the car commercial that has the city's buildings as an equalizer. I can't remember what car it was...If I see it I'll post it.

Guest FlipSwitch

dig the green and the concept... all in all looks top notch for some student story boards... lets see if you can pull off the animation now

Guest myExperiment

in my research, almost all photos of an aurora borealis is green. i wanted to use the aurora because it's a visual form of the power of nature, nature's energy. the bright color is a little stylized, but not too much. i want a nice bright color to silhouette the city. luckily green is also the color associated with being environmental. i thought it was a perfect fit.

i originally wasn't going to go with the plant-growing idea because i thought it was too obvious and i tried a storyboard where i used a depiction of mother nature herself, but this one seemed to be much easier for the normal consumer to understand. i also did a 3rd board that delt with batteries.

i tried looking for spots that had plants grow behind cars and i couldn't find any to my suprise. in all actuality, i only found one spot that had growing plants was for Tetra Pak, a packaging company. if anyone knows of any please throw me a link. i don't want to do anything that's been done, and if that's the case and i still need to move forward, i would want to do it better than it's been done before.

Looks nice; just a couple of questions/comments:

1) What's your reasoning for the harsh green/Spawn-like kind of color?  Is it just an aesthetic choice or does it tie into the theme of "change" in some way?  I guess I'm not seeing it.

2) The "car-goes-by-and-flowers-grow-in-its-path" thing is very overdone.  You might want to consider other ways that you can represent that concept that are more unique.

Just my .02.

60364[/snapback]

Guest krpdesign
luckily green is also the color associated with being environmental.

60371[/snapback]

I think the green associated with environmental is more like "grass" green. this bright, neon green sort of conveys the idea of "toxic" and radioactivity, which I would say is the exact opposite.

I personally like the color, but if you picked it mostly because of the environmental feel, you might want to reconsider.

Guest JimmyB
i tried looking for spots that had plants grow behind cars and i couldn't find any to my suprise. in all actuality, i only found one spot that had growing plants was for Tetra Pak, a packaging company. if anyone knows of any please throw me a link. i don't want to do anything that's been done, and if that's the case and i still need to move forward, i would want to do it better than it's been done before.

60371[/snapback]

Psyop the ford spot i think

Guest mfh
dig the green and the concept... all in all looks top notch for some student story boards... lets see if you can pull off the animation now

60370[/snapback]

I would say the boards look as good as they get.....student or not

Guest pixelronin

the boards are well done...look forward to the animation.

...to be honest, it kinda reminded me of a BP ... just the colors....http://www.bp.com. But i like the colors and it all looks good, just the first thing that came to mind.

---pixel

Guest Tread

I'm not crazy about the concept. The renderings and composition look great, but the idea of leaving green and flowers in the cars trail because it's a 'clean' car, seems a little trite to me. It may not have been done exactly like you are doing, but that concept has definitely been implied in many a ads. I would push it further and think of something less obvious.

Teachers at my school would have blown that idea to little chunks. I'm just passing it along to you. ;)

But hey, I probably would have thought up something like that as well. You gotta learn to throw it out and start over.

Guest Boemten
hey all!

for my next school motion project i'm doing a :30 spot for the toyota prius. here's the storyboard i came up with. i'll have the next 4 weeks to animate this thing... taking into account i only have 2-3 days per week to work on it because of other classes... i have to pull this off in about 12 days...

i did 3 different boards, but this is the one i'm going with.

prius-web.jpg

60360[/snapback]

very nice!!

Did you create the storyboard with photoshop?

Guest SermonOfMockery

it looks great. don't listen to the haters. concept is maybe not groundbreaking, but the execution is top-notch, which is much more important.

Guest Sao_Bento
it looks great. don't listen to the haters. concept is maybe not groundbreaking, but the execution is top-notch, which is much more important.

60392[/snapback]

word

Guest Boemten

60392[/snapback]

foe shizzle.... B)

Guest Self_90

60392[/snapback]

Very true! Concentrate on pulling all this animation together and you'll have good grades! Next stop work harder on the next concept. First things first!

Tha agencys will come up with the concepts, you will help them get it further!

DID U do that in Photoshop ? use 3d ... Wow give me that recipe, I'll have to work on my boards :blink:

This is a good one. Can't wait to see it? 12 days ... now go go go !

Guest Firebetty

I think it's fantastic. I love the aurora borealis green...reminds me of the Misfits.:H

This is a spot for SCHOOL?? That's really great. Wow, I'm feeling a little insecure all of a sudden.

As far as the concept goes...y'know...maybe it's been done before, but really...I think those of you who are nitpicking this guy are maybe a TAD anal retentive.

OHHHHH SNAP!

Guest SermonOfMockery
I think those of you who are nitpicking this guy are maybe a TAD anal retentive.

haterade.jpg

Edited by SermonOfMockery

Guest C-FU

Well if you look at his website you will see how well he does storyboards. They are pretty top notch. They also appear to be for Brand New School.

I am digging the style and if you excute it with grace then more power to you. Can't wait to see a rough or the final. Are you going to animate a 3d car or roto footage of a moving car?

Guest nextseason

It's not hating if you're giving constructive feedback.

It is knob slobbing if you... oh wait nevermind :) jk

seriously though just joking ya'll

dope storyboards mang...

Guest myExperiment

thanks everyone, i really appreciate the kind words.

i just got back from my class, it's being taught by one of the cd's from imaginary forces and one of their animators.

so their only suggestion was to tone down the reflections on the buildings - the buildings as they are right now are taking up too much attention. i'll play with it and see how it goes.

for these boards i used photoshop, illustrator, maya, and ae. i'd be happy to briefly dissect one of the frames for you if you're interested. i really don't think there's a whole lot to it --> the hard part is coming up with what you want in the frame, making it is the easy part. just let me know whichever frame anyone's interested in. it's mostly just color correcting, blending modes and masking.

i just found out that this is due in 3 weeks instead of 4... yeah... i ditched a class today and i'll probably ditch tomorrow's as well...

Guest fishface

I think the boards are pretty damn well done. I think the concept greatly exaggerates the positive effects of the product, and is possibly an ethical stretch.

As far as the aesthetic values of the design goes, I think that the green is a bit much — very x–box. It greatly over-powers the product. It seems the focus is really everything except for the actual car.

This can work for some products if you are selling a lifestyle or image, but I'm not sure that the x–box–esque electric green is the image you want to sell tto the crowd that you are going for.

More color in the product itself would also help the car from blending into the background. I think if you can figure a way to even out the intensity of both the car and it's 'green' effect, then the piece would improve.

it could be very good.

Guest Self_90

Now work all day and all night !! Could you dissect the third frame... I don't know how you did it :lol:

Forget about the frames for now just finish this animation, so we can see it.

for these boards i used photoshop, illustrator, maya, and ae. i'd be happy to briefly dissect one of the frames for you if you're interested. i really don't think there's a whole lot to it --> the hard part is coming up with what you want in the frame, making it is the easy part. just let me know whichever frame anyone's interested in. it's mostly just color correcting, blending modes and masking.

i just found out that this is due in 3 weeks instead of 4... yeah... i ditched a class today and i'll probably ditch tomorrow's as well...

60422[/snapback]