Sign in to follow this  
Guest myExperiment

new project storyboard

Guest pixelronin
ok, so I was a little harsh. geez.

he's obviously very good.

60410[/snapback]

I dont believe you were harsh, you gave some good advice and left it. People should read the critiques, take what comments help them move forward and progress....and squash anything else that is childish.

--pixel

Guest silatix

i think its good.. i agree the chioce of green doesnt scream nature/earthy.. too neon.. but whatevs.. better than anything im doing right now

Guest myExperiment
I dont believe you were harsh, you gave some good advice and left it.  People should read the critiques, take what comments help them move forward and progress....and squash anything else that is childish.

--pixel

60482[/snapback]

exactly. it's always better when people are honest, even if that means giving advice as to how to make things better. nothing anyone has said has been bad. i know this isn't perfect, in fact i've already made changes to the board that i think have improved it.

if you can't take criticism, you shouldn't be an artist.

Guest myExperiment

i thought i'd post a photo of a real aurora borealis so you guys can see that my color isn't too far off.

Revontulet_Haapajarven_ylla_marraskuussa_2002.jpg

Guest Boemten
thanks everyone, i really appreciate the kind words.

i just got back from my class, it's being taught by one of the cd's from imaginary forces and one of their animators.

so their only suggestion was to tone down the reflections on the buildings - the buildings as they are right now are taking up too much attention. i'll play with it and see how it goes.

for these boards i used photoshop, illustrator, maya, and ae. i'd be happy to briefly dissect one of the frames for you if you're interested. i really don't think there's a whole lot to it --> the hard part is coming up with what you want in the frame, making it is the easy part. just let me know whichever frame anyone's interested in. it's mostly just color correcting, blending modes and masking.

i just found out that this is due in 3 weeks instead of 4... yeah... i ditched a class today and i'll probably ditch tomorrow's as well...

60422[/snapback]

Could you dissect the tenth frame as well...after you finished the project.

Guest SermonOfMockery

1. as far as the color goes it's really irrelevant whether it's close to the actual color or not... if it reads as too harsh that may (or may not) be a problem.

2. some of the other criticism was ridiculous- "my teachers would blow that idea to pieces!!" ?!?

Guest fredcamino

i think aesthetically the boards are great, and i can't wait to see it in motion. but i have to agree about what some people are saying about them conceptually. the green and black to me reads RADIOACTIVE. i definately didn't read or see the aurora borealis, what i read was big future city with toxic waste. to me it seems more like a scion spot than a prius spot. like i would totally buy it if it was for a scion hybrid or something... because it feels like futuristic night life, with a hint of eco-friendly due to the flowers and stuff (although i must admit because of the radioactive green, the flowers dont read as pure as i think they should).

Guest Beaver

Rocks my socks. Can't wait to see it in motion.

Don't forget new green envy flavor:

haterade2.jpg

Edited by Angry Beaver

Guest Self_90
i thought i'd post a photo of a real aurora borealis so you guys can see that my color isn't too far off.

WOW ! aurora borealis !

Angry : Green envy ! :lol: And at the end does it make you pee green Also!

Guest parallax

Agree about the toxic part, and it might be a tiny wee ethical stretch. That said, i think today's consumer doesn't understand subtlety, so stretching the 'less poluting' concept of the Prius will at least get the message across.

btw.

Did you happen to have a Prius 3D model laying around?

Guest myExperiment
i think today's consumer doesn't understand subtlety, so stretching the 'less poluting' concept of the Prius will at least get the message across.

unfortunately, yeah. although i am looking forward to a project that i won't have to explain to my non-designer friends when they watch it.

btw.

Did you happen to have a Prius 3D model laying around?

nope, had to buy it for about $130. i'm looking at plant plugins to buy too... so far either xfrog or natFX. natFX is rad, but as far as my tests go it doesn't animate growth. i've heard xfrog is just too damn slow.

it might be a tiny wee ethical stretch

wait a sec... now, i haven't taken any advertising classes, but when did advertising start becoming ethical ;)

Guest Crypty

One way or the other it looks great. Inside the mograph scene, the growing plant thing gets old fast because it REALLY is used a lot. Before I started getting into mograph, I would see it daily and always think "Damn that's cool"

It never really got old for me as a viewer.

When I see the green it makes me think of energy, and nuclear waste. Energy isn't bad, but nuclear waste... well...

I don't think it's too important though. I'm not in advertising, and seeing as how this is for school, it's great.

Edited by Crypty

Guest parallax
wait a sec... now, i haven't taken any advertising classes, but when did advertising start becoming ethical  ;)

60631[/snapback]

Touché.

Guest Chinaski
i'm looking at plant plugins to buy too... so far either xfrog or natFX. natFX is rad, but as far as my tests go it doesn't animate growth. i've heard xfrog is just too damn slow.

I take it you're using Max? If you're using Cinema, go for X-frog. Yeah, it can be slow if you're using a lot of geometry in x-frog, but the simplicity of use is great, and it was made for Cinema 4D. I think it is only available as an external app fro Max... You can also go the old-school route of modeling and rigging without plug-ins, which works as well and will probably give you better results, but will take a lot longer.

Guest parallax

Vue is rather pricey, but excellent results. Maybe you're better off buying some stock material.